Android port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can figure (somehow) to work on the Android port with SDL2 as soon as I get the source code and needed commands to compile properly. Darn it, finding the way to compile the game is really hard, unless someone explains it really carefully and detailed.

Curse that new method for Android where they changed the default IDE to Android Studio!!!
I could have linked you to a simple development page about Android related compiling,but they changed it because of that damn Android Studio!!!

God, this thread is a trainwreck.

Let it be known that Android devices are far more capable than previously considered. Even the video that was linked was on what most likely was just Android 2.x, which you can tell because it still had a physical search and menu button. That video was also made far before SRB2 got the SDL2 port.

So ANY of those 'limitations' you imposed are almost, if not completely, unnecessary.

Windows 8 is not an awful OS, I really can't stand people saying that. This is a very subjective thing, but I am perfectly okay with Windows 8. Yeah, I have a headache once in a while, the system restore points aren't as clear anymore, and there is the OCCASIONAL not-so-stable program, but trust me when I say I know bad OS experiences, and if you have the right hardware, there isn't a damn thing wrong with Windows 8 except that you distinctly hate something in it, like the Metro UI.

And finally, why are you even bothering complaining about Eclipse IDE, when the old IDE is still easily accessible? When developing for Android, you need to realize just how much freedom you have on Linux. SDL actually has this guide on building an SDL game on Android. And even so, we have a guide right here on SDL2 and C++ 11 work that was made with Windows in mind, and it was made 10 days ago, meaning Android Studio is still not yet the definitive IDE for Android application development.

Porting SRB2 is a whole ordeal that needs the cooperation of a few other parties, even if you are attempting to port it alone. If you want to go Linux or stay Windows, whatever, but you need to know where you're going with it and how to test it properly.

Thanks for linking to those. :)
You kinda hid those links amidst your paragraph though.

I can't help but bash Microsoft's decision to base W8 on mobile devices with touchscreen controls,AND completely killing the Start Menu which is a huge letdown.
Besides,the "we hate Windows 8" rhyme has such a nice ring to it. :P

To me,the last good version was Windows XP because it didn't spend resources on fancy visual effects or mess up the capability to run things like Sonic R which now requires some special tweaking to run on Windows 7.

I find Windows 7 conpletelly fine running old games like Sonic R, and on the other side, you can make Win 7 waste less memory by simply going to basic windows 7 or classic windows themes. I actually have my win 7 themed as win 8, I totally like the new design of windows 8 I even have the boot screen as the win 8 one.
On another side, I've been tampering with the sources and realized I know sh*t of coding, but I really want to see Srb2 on phone devices, if no one wants to do the job then I'll do it, and I'll learn 3 years of coding if necessary.

I wish you luck then.
I don't have the technology (or six million dollars either) to do anything better than testing WIP builds on Android ARM and X86 versions. X_X

Yeah,I got the FireTV for ARM and my Acer Iconia A1-840HD with Intel x86 too.
And the x86 can kinda run ARM apps using Houdini.
All these Androids for anytime use,but no PC of my own. :(

Such a shame for Windows XP's support being ended. :(
Computers nowadays only have the sucky broken Windows 8 when I need Windows 7.

The only thing Windows 8.1 changes is the Start Menu, (And a few advanced Admin tools from Windows 7 that most people don't use.) while literally being the same desktop experience as before, and that is the deal breaker?

B7c_hS6IUAAfuLZ.png

freedom_planet_screenshot_3_by_mr_glaceon-d8ez6qb.png

Now, look at a properly organized, distraction free Metro, with all live tiles disabled, and tell me it's an unnavigable, overly distracting, hideous mess. I actually find this easier to click on launchers I wanted than before. I can't possibly mis-click, like with the previous Start Menu.

People are so sad these days. Cut your muscle memory and power user excuses. Learn to take five freaking minutes of your time to learn something new. It took me less than two minutes to figure out Metro and organize it exactly the way I wanted.

It's not hard, it's not mind-numbing, and if you're a Linux user, it's even easier to learn your way around a new desktop environment. What's the fun in using the same GUI for twenty years? It's boring.

Besides, if you have Windows 8, you get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when that's available, which gives you back the one feature everybody complains to the ends of the Earth about.

Last edited:
The major issue of Windows 8's menu is that you have to change screens when you want to select something while Windows 7's Start Menu doesn't need to change screens.
And Windows 8's menu takes up the whole screen,giving you more distance for moving the mouse to click the program you want to open while Windows 7's Start Menu is a uniform listing with easier access to a large list of programs needing only a short distance to reach whatever program you are going for.

Also: I lost a little of my soul when Windows started calling programs "apps".

Well the thing is, they ARE apps if you download them for Metro.

The thing people really, really don't understand about Windows 8, especially if they only use its desktop interface, is the fact it's made to be a workable windows OS *for tablets.* Now, for PCs, its a bit distracting/silly to have the start menu change screens / have a bunch of games from a store page cobbled together with utilities that look like something you'd download on your phone, however bear in mind that these are things you WOULD get on your phone. If I remember right, most Metro apps work on Windows 8 AND Windows Phones, which is kinda awesome albeit weird when the PC variant is the same thing but bigger.

I have a Surface Pro 3, and without a doubt Windows 8 is built around the idea of this being a 10 finger touch display with an optional keyboard. There are times where I'm using the surface as a laptop and then I fold the keyboard back to draw, suddenly it's a handheld wacom-esque device. Then I press the start button on the side with the keyboard still retracted, hell maybe I have it off altogether... Now it's completely a tablet. I can click on touch based apps, go to the store, play a game, etc. It MAKES SENSE for this device.

NOW. If I have the keyboard in and use it just as a laptop, I can often forget I even have any tablet capabilities, and hell swiping from the right to get my charms up, press search and type the name of the program I want, to me that's a whole lot faster than going to the bottom right, clicking the start button, and typing into the search bar assuming I clicked it right.

All's I'm saying is, Windows 8 is fine guys srsly. (Well, 8.1 is. Standard 8 is lacking a bit.) Regarding SRB2Android, as others have said there are plenty of reasons that wouldn't work, many of them being just the fact it's a bloated doom mod. :x

Also: I lost a little of my soul when Windows started calling programs "apps".

And yet wanting an Android "app" of SRB2 is exactly why you started this thread?

I think I'm going to watch this thread burn further from a distance. I've objectively debated enough dense individuals on Skype and WayForums paradoxically stuck in their ways to know it does no good. I'm laughing hard enough as it is, so have fun not enjoying or playing SRB2 over there.

I want/need the Android port because I can't fully access any kind of computer,I would even accept a proper Linux PC (x86) at this point if i could get one.
The only way I could even access so much as Linux properly would be very complicated to figure out via Xserver,hence why I never did get a Linux OS running in the main system instead of slow VM.
Yeah,the VM method would SUCK at running it because of several dropped frames in any VNC.

And,heh heh, "burn" because you are a pyromaniac. LOL *shot by a WPN ring*
BTW,I actually WILL have fun for a bit since Goat Simulator for Android just updated recently with Goat City Bay.

Ubuntu and other modern Linux distros have never been easier to use, access, or install. Where are you from, 2005? They even have legitimate keys for Secure Boot on Windows 8 PCs.

This thread is too much fun.

Check out what is already running on Android in enhanced quality.

It is D-GLES for Android. (previously Doom-GLES before enhancements)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3r_M6_e30

Just sharing info for what I didn't even know about until now.
It even has compatibility for the original IWADs.
Too bad this one can't have SRB2 ported to it with those enhancements intact,or could it?

Are these forums forever DOOMed to suffer questions like this again and again? *bricked*

SRB2 has features backported from Z-Doom that won't even translate here. Just get a cheap Windows 8 PC and wipe it for Kubuntu, it'd save you from making a lot of dead-end "eureka" moments like these.

Just get a cheap Windows 8 PC and wipe it for Kubuntu, it'd save you from making a lot of dead-end "eureka" moments like these.
Or just skip a step, because SRB2 will run on basically anything running Windows made in the last decade.

In all seriousness, this thread is a train wreck. No, we aren't making an Android port. You're welcome to make one yourself, but considering the statements you've made in this thread, it's pretty clear you don't have the ability to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back