New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
Surprised there isn't a topic about this...

(Screenshot)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/NSMBwii.jpg
This appears to be a very early screenshot, if you don't want to be spoiled, then I advise you NOT to the click the link.

(Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii

(Trailer)
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ent-09-new-super/57807

Finally, a few old friends/enemies makes a comeback after all those years in the NES/SNES/GBA era, not going to say who it is, watch the trailer if you want to find out. (Not everything will be displayed, so beware.)

I seen a few gameplay videos of this, and it appears to have extra stuff, both old and new added than the New Super Mario Bros. for the DS, again, if you want to see these, then check out the trailer, if you don't want to be spoiled, then I advise you DO NOT click the links.

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to this.
The level design (from what I've seen) is very empty and bland. The Propeller Hat seems pretty overpowered, and playing with friends in platforming areas can be a pain.
I don't really like the music.

It looks like classic Mario.
And by classic, I mean they're going through the whole "Add tons of extra and different interesting things while keeping base gameplay intact" cycle again. Think SMB3 and SMW and you'll know what I mean. I want this. A lot.

My friends and I are all planning on getting it Sunday, and probably playing the hell out of it.

The original NSMB had the perfect balance between innovation and reliability.
You know it's the mario. Good ol' Mario. But aren't you tired of good ol' Mario already? You've gone through it a million times, same levels, same gimmicks, etc.
Then NSMB kicks in and brings you the most important aspect of the game:
New obstacles.
Be it new level design, new enemies with new behaviours (We could use less "goomba walks slowly to his death"), new powerups that alter gameplay significantly, etc. Hence the word "NEW" in the game's title!
And now here comes NSMBW which to be frank, doesn't look terribly interesting.
The penguin suit is an awesome idea, which if implemented well, could be amazing in SP, you know, accessing hidden doors and exits using enemies as platforms. Sadly, this game seems to be too focused on MP, which is not by far a bad thing, but it still hampers this kind of stuff, since the camera has to keep up with 4 people, makng hiding secrets quite a hard task.
Propeller hat seems borange... Yoshies? Been there, done that in SMW...
There doesn't seem to be enough new content and gameplay elements (besides Multiplayer) to warrant a purchase.
Of course, if I could get my hands on any game this generation, I'd be fangasming all over it... Yeah... even carnival party games.

Koopa Kids? The good ol' Mario Bros. 3 maps? Castles?

I'm sold.

The level design (from what I've seen) is very empty and bland. The Propeller Hat seems pretty overpowered, and playing with friends in platforming areas can be a pain.
Ok, now I am convinced that you truly don't like anything.

No, he likes Birdo and Sonic '06.

*Raises eyebrow*

But I agree that multiplayer will make things a bit worse. Surely, it'll make platforming less of a challenge. Because more people have to occupy the same space, ledges and platforms will probably have be larger.

Now, if they had seperate level sets fashioned towards single player and co-op multiplayer, I'd be a bit more optimistic. I really hope this new game is structured that way.

Last edited:
Koopa Kids? The good ol' Mario Bros. 3 maps? Castles?
'Cause these three insignificant things warrant a purchase.
I'm not saying that they're bad ideas, as Super Mario Bros 3 was fantastic, but should that really warrant a purchase?

Ok, now I am convinced that you truly don't like anything.

I'm don't want this game either. The sound are still (mostly) bothersome and the graphics are still atrocious like in the DS one, the new powerups look overpowered, and multiplayer seems to be a pain to use.

Last edited:
Well, Kyasarin, he's gotten that impression from your posts. I got the same impression. Go to your profile and click the "Find all posts by this user" link. You'll find your posts are almost universally negative with very few exceptions.

Personally I can't wait for this game and am definitely looking forward to playing it. I don't see why having multiplayer would ruin the formula. Simultaneous multiplayer is something I've wanted in Mario since I first played the games as a child.

@Luminous: The additions from SMB3 are essentially fan service, but item storage was definitely one of the things that made it great, and I'm sure it'll add replay value to NSMBW. The music and graphics seem fine and I have no idea what you're talking about on any of your other points.

@Arf: I'm not sure about you, but I'm seeing quite a few gimmicks in the trailer, both in the level design and in the powerups. Yeah, Yoshi is an old gimmick, but isn't it about time he was used again? Especially with the multiplayer aspect, there could be quick a few new tricks to be pulled with him.

And anyway, I'm personally buying the game for its selling point: multiplayer. Even if the single player experience isn't all that notable, the reason I'm buying the game is to have some good laughs with my friends, and that's all that really matters to me.

Empty? Last time I saw a certain trailer, the whole screen was filled it wasn't even funny! Oh, I doubt it will be a pain. As tons of critics already said its perfect.

Well, Kyasarin, he's gotten that impression from your posts. I got the same impression. Go to your profile and click the "Find all posts by this user" link. You'll find your posts are almost universally negative with very few exceptions.
Sadly, that is true. But he does NOT dislike everything. He just doesn't like a majority of thing because they don't play well.
Example of stuff he likes: Super Mario Bros X(?), Sonic 06, DS S&M

This game looks terrific! Looks much better then the DS version. Much more harder and more filled? Instant buy!

Last edited:
Since Kyasarin failed to provide adequate reasoning, I am going to try and explain why I am not terribly excited about NSMBWii's level design.

See, the game does revolve largely around multiplayer. So much, in fact, that it seems to be altering the design of the levels. Most Mario games I've enjoyed in the past gave you the freedom to move not just left or right, but also up and down throughout the stage. Multiple paths and passageways were fairly common in the more interesting stages, especially those from SMB3. Most stages from that game spanned several maps. For example, you have the standard level introduction map that takes you to another map that perhaps lasts for half of the level. There might be several different exits into other maps within that level, such as doors or pipes hidden within areas that require you to travel vertically in order to access them. The first level of the game presents you with this opportunity less than halfway in, where you can fly upward - causing the screen to suddenly scroll vertically (which has an amazing effect since at first glance it seems to be just a horizontal level) - and reach a platform up in the sky made out of clouds (you mean there's really something up there?). Even better, you could then take off flying even further and discover the top of a pipe that leads to a secret.

As soon as the multiplayer element is introduced, the levels immediately snap back to one-dimensional scrolling. Why? Because then you risk the possibility of having other players getting lost behind. To fix this, the levels must unfortunately be bland. There must only be one or two gentle slopes in the flat terrain, and the occasional dancing mushroom every two screens over (or perhaps have the level consist entirely of the same mushroom platforms), because any attempt to make the levels even mildly intriguing is going to break multiplayer.

The problem I have is that I no longer have access to real life gaming friends. My closest friend moved to California in order to attend Stanford. Most of my other friends have also gone their own ways. I'd had relatively little access to gaming buddies to begin with, and most of my current classmates seem to have rather varying tastes, although I doubt most of them are interested in the Wii. At this point, if a game doesn't have an online multiplayer system, I expect it to have a good single player campaign. It's nice that Mario now has full-blown simultaneous (local) multiplayer, but it's not really the experience I'm looking for. I'm more interested in playing Galaxy 2.

Last edited:
The video I've seen of the level design doesn't look like they're "gimping" the level design to make it support multiplayer. Yeah, they're not doing stuff like the maze levels in SMB3, but they are doing some things that are not exactly conducive to keeping your friends because you're likely to to kill each other while playing. I still see secrets everywhere and I still see hidden goals. Unlike NSMB, this game also seems to have legitimately new ideas in the level design to boot.

There are a few things I don't like, mainly that it requires the Wii Remote to play, instead of allowing us to play with the classic/GCN controllers as options. I also wish they had given us options to get rid of those two toads. There are so many characters in the Mario universe. Do we really need TWO toads?

As soon as the multiplayer element is introduced, the levels immediately snap back to one-dimensional scrolling. Why? Because then you risk the possibility of having other players getting lost behind. To fix this, the levels must unfortunately be bland. There must only be one or two gentle slopes in the flat terrain, and the occasional dancing mushroom every two screens over (or perhaps have the level consist entirely of the same mushroom platforms), because any attempt to make the levels even mildly intriguing is going to break multiplayer.
This is really what bugs me about the level design. It seems built around multiplayer alone, and not single-player. They're so wide and spacious.

I don't know, like I said. The critics had a great time playing single player.
Anyways, the creator got lazy to put other character then toad. (He even said something he didn't put characters like daisy/peach in because it was a challenge to make the skirt..) He also said he was too lazy to put GC support.

Oh well, its not going to be so different. Its not like NES controllers work with the 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back