Fixed Death Pit turns into Instant Kill when coupled with "anywhere in sector" effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Death Pit turns into Instant Kill when coupled with "anywhere in sector" effects

Death pits are supposed to only kill you when you touch their floor. However, if the same sector also has an effect that's supposed to affect the entire sector (for instance, Exit Sector or an Anywhere in Sector trigger), the player dies as soon as he enters the sector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reported this bug a long time ago in the original Reports topic. The devs said that it was a deep-embedded problem tied into the original engine, and that they weren't going to bother trying to fix it.

But maybe they'll do something about it now. Who knows?

Not only death pits, but sector types like:

. "Damage"
. "Damage (Fire)"
. "Damage (Electrical)"
. "Ring Drainer (Floor Touch)"

... all will take in effect when the player enters the sector without touching the floor, if another special that applies to the whole sector is present at the same time.

Last edited:
A way to temporarily fix this is to use a intangible invisible FOF with the trigger anywhere in sector effect.

If you don't mind me asking, could you explain how you fixed the bug?

I had to add some logic to the sector specials to allow it to know when to actually hurt the player in different situations. Not a fix for the core problem (which would require the specials system to be rewritten entirely), but I made the workaround as unobtrusive as possible, it required a very small amount of code to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back