Is Srb2 compatible with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding, right?

SRB2 Has stopped working.

|||||||||||||

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.

No, rly, lets see how well SRB2 runs on Windows 7. Since they use pretty much the same code...

I used Vista for a while. First time round, no problems, except SRB2 was a little sluggish (No anisotropic filtering, or I'd see slowodnw), but this can be forgiven due to nVidia's rather.. premature drivers. (I was using a Geforce 6100).

My laptop ran SRB2 fine with Vista, has integrated Intel 945GMA graphics. I reinstalled XP however, because I was big on MapleStory at the time and MS wouldn't run on Vista; anotehr reason was the slightly decreased (10-30 minutes) battery life. Other than that, it ran fine. Without Aero, anyway. :P

The whole Vista-needs-supercomputer is just myth. Me and a friend ran it - absolutely perfectly, as fast as XP - on a Dell Dimension 3000, with a Celeron D at 2.6Ghz and 768MB RAM. My laptop had a Intel Core Duo T2050 at 1.6Ghz and 512MB RAM.

And if RAM is a problem for you, face it; it's dirt cheap nowadays.

By now, compatibility with Vista shouldn't be so much a problem. It's the software developer's fault if it doesn't work.

But over all of this, if you have less than 768MB RAM, stick with XP. 512MB is good for the basic stuff: SRB2, surfing the web, etc, but won't hold out for long when you start more intensive stuff. Or better, just get more than 512MB RAM. :<

Team Blackfox said:
Vista is less "bullet proof" than XP. Nope, not on hacking, on inside problems. if you run windows xp, you run less of a chance to have to press the power button and possibly delete your hard drive.

Your computer is also only as fast as its slowest component:

Hard Drive RPM

RAM

Processor power

Bit Rate

and some other stuff.
You could have the strongest processor in the world, but if your hard drive runs at 1500 RPM, its going to be somewhat slow.

Keep that in mind. Vista Takes more RAM Than XP I think
1500 rpm is the speed of a typical computer fan, no recent hard drive runs this slow. Vista uses ram dynamically based on how much you have, for example it uses 1.5 gigs of ram idle... out of 6 gigs of ram. It also uses more ram because of prefetch.

I also have another question, does the MS work on vista cause I tried to use the MS on my vista and it won't work and my por is forwarded too.

nascar241993 said:
I also have another question, does the MS work on vista cause I tried to use the MS on my vista and it won't work and my port is forwarded too.
Yes it does work, the master server might go up and down sometimes but it works perfectly fine, also make sure your firewall allows srb2 to make a connection and your routers firewall allows that port as well

JigglyWiggly said:
You do not need to open ports to connect to the master server... Only if you are hosting.
some firewalls block incoming connections (routers) so some will need to either be opened or allow all incoming connections.

I have never heard of a router do this, I have used linksys routers, d link routers, netgear routers and even my own built PFsense linux router. None of them do this, they will only stop incoming connections... You do not have to worry about this if you are joining a game. By the way dmzing is not exactly the safest thing to do...

I know a lot of routers that do this. For one, my router(Arris) does this, and sometimes I'm forced to forward ports. I also had a Belkin(Forgot the model name), that, all ports were closed except the ones needed for it to connect to my computer, which was the oddest thing I've seen. I would get a linksys and see what it does, but I'm poor.

A lot are you sure it's just not that router and a few others? Because as I mentioned those routers I posted were big name brand routers. There is pretty much no reason to block those ports for the general consumer. Also you mentioned you were poor, do you even have a job? They are cheap, but I make my own routers now because they are way better.

Acutally you just have a slow computer Get more RAM, I have A vista And It runs Perfectly!!!! So XP, EAT YOUR CPU OUT!!

Silent_Snipe said:
Dark Warrior said:
Do yourself a favor, and see if you can get Microsoft to give you an upgrade disc so you can switch back to XP.
Agreed, I had windows XP and everything run fast etc... and now I have vista everything runs laggy (Even srb2) which never use to lag when I played it on XP. the only real reason I switched to vista is because of the direct x 10

i got vista for my computer and laptop. kinda laggs alot on computer but on my laptop its really fast. depends what type of computer you got or laptop

Max the hedgehog said:
i got vista for my computer and laptop. kinda laggs alot on computer but on my laptop its really fast. depends what type of computer you got or laptop
No, it depends on the spec of your computer, operating system means nothing, it depends on your parts to what speed it does

Max the hedgehog said:

Unfortunately, Vista laptops aren't as well engineered as Vista Desktops. My desktop can play HD video games, but it can't play 8-bit games...(Final Fantasy VII PC). Luckily Srb2 is 16-bit so my system does play it.

mkbullet4you said:
Unfortunately, Vista laptops aren't as well engineered as Vista Desktops.

No, the engineering has nothing to do with it (although I suspect your desktop was badly engineered anyway, if it was pre-built they generally are). Mobile technology just isn't as far advanced as that which you find in a desktop PC, because it takes times to make things small enough to fit in a laptop, basically.

Cue said:
(although I suspect your desktop was badly engineered anyway, if it was pre-built they generally are). Mobile technology just isn't as far advanced as that which you find in a desktop PC, because it takes times to make things small enough to fit in a laptop, basically.

Have you seen that Pandora website? That looks to me like Mobile tech is catching up to Good ol', RELIABLE, Desktop PC's. That weird thing supports OpenGL! Not even PSP or any Blackberry phone could take that thing in graphics. Vista PC's supports Hi-Def gaming and only Alienware or Mac laptops could support those Hi-def Games. Pandora is a weird looking $350 MOBILE device, that is an almost PC inside a bulky DS looking case. That was for all of us unknowing dummies who don't keep up with Crap like the Pandora.

The Pandora still has a long way to go, I said laptops are nowhere near desktops, which they are not. You're comparing the Pandora, which may be reliable but still has very poor specs, to the desktop PC range which these days can calculate Pi to 1 million decimal places in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back