Fixed [2.1.15] OGL issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the SDL2 build:

Usually when I want to launch in OGL, I'd have to set it so that it doesn't initially launch in fullscreen. If it does, the game crashes (it doesn't do this when setting it to fullscreen in-game)

In addition, there's a strange reflective visual glitch that happens on some resolutions.
v6zxBzH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
"OpenGL is unsupported"
— Sonic Robo Blast 2
Seriously though, OGL is really just broken in some scenarios, and you're better off using Software for the forseeable future, especially given its undeniable superiority (until we start using GLSL to handle all the lighting and effects and lock the camera's tilt at horizontal for 3rd person mode (using the same tilt fakery as software, of course)) and STJr's precedented attitude on the topic. I can confirm (back on topic) that both the crash and the ghosting do exist and do crop up at "safe" resolutions as well.

Curiosity question: what's the resolution of your monitor?

Edit: I'd like to add that doing effects in GLSL is actually on my big list of things to do in SRB2—I could write the shaders fine if I knew what I was supposed to make them do but I'm only just learning C now and the source is a labyrinth so that's precisely what I am attempting to figure out.

Last edited:
That old "slogan" regarding OpenGL is not to be taken quite at face-value these days, given the amount of fixes we got for it for 2.1 at least. OpenGL is just simply not as well-looked-after as with Software.

Also, the front page news post and every forum post for the last version of 2.1 says this:

Note: We are aware of an issue with OpenGL exhibiting odd effects in some resolutions, such as overlaying the screen on top of itself, or “ghosting”-like effects. If you encounter these issues, use the DirectDraw executable (srb2dd.exe) for playing in OpenGL mode.

Just putting that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back