Help installing SRB2 Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal96

let's get the basic specs out of the way just in case:

HP Pavilion 17-e113dx x64
AMD A8-4500M w/Radeon HD 7640G (it's an APU)
4GB DDR3
Linux Mint amd64
everything else-generic/standard, no worries on drivers and whatnot

Anyway, I posted this in the official ports thread but there's been no response so I figured I'd ask here so I can give more details and maybe someone other than Alam can give me a hand. It's a total n00b question anyway, so I'm certain one of the other linux enthusiasts can explain it to me

So for starters, I am a Linux n00b--this is my first time running a full system on it (I'm trying to switch over from Windows, slowly but surely) and I've learned all the important stuff but I still have no experience.

Ok. So I went to the ports thread and followed the instructions...which gave me 2.0.6. Alright. Uninstalled that, snooped around alam.srb2.org, and found lsdlsrb2 (which Alam then posted to the thread later that day anyway in response to someone else). So I downloaded the main binary, made it executable, ran it...and nothing happened. Ok, I said to myself, I must have gotten the wrong version somehow. Tried all the others, same thing happened over and over. Even tried a version back with the same result. Ran from terminal, ran as superuser, logged in as root and tried it...load of nothing each time.

So now I'm stuck with this lsdlsrb2 file that I have no idea what to do with. Other Linux users, please tell me, how do I install this?

Also, I know I can use Wine, but the sound gets choppy sometimes and some larger levels lag more than I know they should (the machine breezes through every benchmark you throw at it). I'd like to run as much natively as possible.

You did make sure SRB2's data files were in the same folder, right?

As for me, I was able to run lsdlsrb2 on a Debian VPS quite easily, so I don't know what the issue could be.

Ok, like I said, I'm brand-new to linux so let me see if I get this.

The file I downloaded is the equivalent to srb2win.exe, correct? So I should duplicate the SRB2 folder on my tower PC (win7) to somewhere on this machine, drop lsdlsrb2 in there, and run it, correct?

I will attempt this now and be back with a big "EDIT:" saying whether it worked or not.

EDIT: does not work. Is there a special folder I should put the data files in?

EDIT2: WAIT. Should I install SRB2 from the repositories to get the Linux version of the core files, then snoop for the folder and replace the executable and the data files with the ones from my Win7 install? That honestly sounds right to me, gonna try it now.

EDIT3: Installed SRB2 using apt-get. Ran it. It created ~/.srb2 and stuck some user data in there. I then duplicated my entire SRB2 install to that folder, overwriting its contents, and dropped lsdlsrb2 in there. Works like a charm, and loads much, much speedier than on Wine!

Thank you very much for your help! I'll delete all the dll files and other Windows stuff and we should be good to go!

Oh, and is there an alternative to srb2net.exe, too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back