Sudden OpenGL and sound glitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelie

Haunted by a couple big mistakes
Well this is irritating. Since the last few days ago my game started for pretty much no reason glitching up in ludicrous ways. Trying to play the game using the default srb2win.exe has the game absolutely mute and OpenGL on top also produces this idiotic effect:
2py1f8k.jpg

I tried to play the game with the srb2dd.exe but was also whole-heartedly greeted with a glitched window:
28jfg1x.jpg

Sound worked but that's pretty much all. I reinstalled the game twice, no luck. I really have no idea what caused it because at the weekend both .exes worked perfectly fine and dandy.

You can tell from the way I wrote this I'm not in the best mood so I'll be glad for anybody that has a solution. And please refrain from posting that you have the problem too, you're not helping.

Do you know if you and/or Windows 10 has manually and/or automatically updated/installed drivers for anything? Also, listing your computer's specs may help too.

I have Win 8.1 and I doubt specs would be of any use considering the game has been working on this PC since the day I bought it perfectly well.

Well if you want them, I have a locally built x64 PC with a 3.50GHz six-core processor, 8GB RAM and a Radeon graphics card. Never installed Win 10 on this or my last PC.

The stupid ghosty effect on OpenGL depends on the resolution, it should go away by its own if you use a higher one.

I don't know if you can change it, but if possible, go to your graphic card settings, and select your graphic card as default used graphic processor in general settings for all programs, rather than autoselect. This is how the issue completely went away for me, then again, I'm using a NVidia and I have no idea if that will fix it on your side.

EDIT: Seconding what I said right above; https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us...use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

This may help.

However, I have no idea at all about the sound issue. Hope I still managed to help, somehow, anyway.

Last edited:
The sound issue... just a shot in the dark, but did you play with the -nodigimusic command line parameter at some point? Windows' default MIDI library fucking sucks and randomly corrupts not the exe, but the specific path to the exe - meaning it persists beyond reinstalls! Renaming srb2win.exe or the folder it's in could fix the sound problem if it's related to this.

The OpenGL ghosting issue is fixed in Next. It's a combination of OGL sucking so hard it essentially treats fullscreen as drawing it as a window and then scaling it up (instead of drawing it as full screen in the first place) and it being written to the screen with the Alpha channel intact (so anything drawn transparent to the screen buffer in the first place - like water textures - leaves the original drawing of the screen visible through it). I don't know whether Thokker's exe (in Releases - Mods) contains the fix, but if you're really hankering for a fix you should look at that.

The second visual issue makes sense. DirectDraw basically has a ton of problems on modern systems; it's entirely possible your graphics card vendor has given up on it entirely now that Microsoft deems it longer necessary to support. It's a shame, but it's why we moved to SDL in the first place.

Last edited:
has the game absolutely mute

map mapaa -force

(In other words, get the game to play a MIDI file. Preferably, max out MIDI volume as well; Windows for whatever reason sets the application's volume when you try to set MIDI volume.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back