Massive netgame lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i got a new laptop last month and ever since then, SRB2 would lag on EVERY net game I join. It works just fine in single player though. I ask the other players if they feel lag, but so far I'm the only one. I tried every resolution possible (at least those that didn't sigsev me) and still nothing. I'm using windows 7 on an ASUS K61|C (I think thats the name) So please, help me out here.

...please?

Edit: Ok I did some experimenting and I found out that my lag only starts up when I move. If I stand still though, the lag stops. The second I make ANY movement, the lag returns.

Well some one in the net game's are connecting far away, or maybe your internet is slowing down.

If you could fix that maybe they are not going to be lag eneymore.

Well some one in the net game's are connecting far away, or maybe your internet is slowing down.

If you could fix that maybe they are not going to be lag eneymore.

Umm... I get lag on EVERY SERVER. Even my bro's servers. And he's only like 20 ft away fro my laptop most of the time. As for my internet, it runs like a race car so...

Anyone else who can help?

Your not playing the unfixed openGL client, are you? Because that is literally the only thing I can think of with a computer that is in good condition.

I don't even know HOW to get open GL running. Even if I could, I'd still never use it. Not even on 1.09.4.

I don't even know HOW to get open GL running. Even if I could, I'd still never use it. Not even on 1.09.4.

Windows 7, I'm assuming, isn't compatible with SRB2. Meaning, it can cause lag. It wasn't made for gaming, it was made to run your programs faster. I've heard many cases as to where SRB2 players stopped playing because of the lag.

Windows 7, I'm assuming, isn't compatible with SRB2. Meaning, it can cause lag. It wasn't made for gaming, it was made to run your programs faster. I've heard many cases as to where SRB2 players stopped playing because of the lag.

Completely and totally false. I'm in Windows 7 and SRB2 runs with no hitches. Netgame lag can only really be caused by distance, an unstable internet connection, background applications, or the netcode itself.

Allow me to give you guys a good procedural guide on how a host can go about "fixing" netplay lag:

1. Pause the game, first and foremost.
2. Open up the console and LISTSERV around 3-4 times. In a nutshell, this "refreshes" your connection.
3. Minimize SRB2 and double-check that you don't have any of the following programs open:
  • An instant messaging client (AIM/MSN/ICQ/etc.)
  • A browser (Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox/Google Chrome/etc.)
  • A P2P Program (Limewire/Bittorrenting/etc.)
  • Any sort of downloading/uploading going on
  • Anything else that I can't think of that would kill bandwidth
4. Ask all of the players in-game to do the same.
5. You can try restarting the map several times, quickly. The easiest way to do this is to type MAP MAPXX into the console, then press up and enter over and over (around 5-6 times).
6. Type PING into the console. If someone has an outrageously high number than the rest of the players, kindly ask him to rejoin.
7. If nothing else, wait it out, or try playing with it and see if it's bearable.
8. Rehost.

If none of the above steps work, then your internet connection is probably being strained. If you're sharing an internet connection with several people, keep in mind that you're all sharing one single pool of bandwidth. Perhaps someone else is using it to download something right now?

Between each of these steps, stop and check if the lag has vanished. The easiest way to do that is to either type in the chat while measuring the time it takes for the message to appear, or by seeing how fast the game responds to you pressing TAB. Either way works.

With the exception of #4, these steps should only be done by the server host (not a verified admin). I've used all of these tactics in the years that I've been hosting games, and they have all been proven to reduce and even remove gameplay lag. Here's hoping they work for you, too.

Last edited:
Autosaver, if he's not getting lag in single player, graphics card and CPU are the least possible things to be causing online lag. And Windows 7 isn't the cause, either. Why is it that everyone thinks that? On this old as hell computer, I can run SRB2 in Windows 7 just as well as I can in XP. No lag, no internet lag (which by the way, is a crappy DSL connection that dies every 2 seconds).

Why some people think it is Windows 7....

I was using Windows 7 on the same computer as my Vista. I got more lag using Windows 7 for whatever reason.

Might be a coincidence. But it happened to several games.

Completely and totally false. I'm in Windows 7 and SRB2 runs with no hitches. Netgame lag can only really be caused by distance, an unstable internet connection, background applications, or the netcode itself.

Bloodshot may have bad internet. If it's high-speed, cable, then shouldn't it run fine? Either that or any of the above help you've said. I'm not sure, so I'm assuming.

2. Open up the console and LISTSERV around 3-4 times. In a nutshell, this "refreshes" your connection.
Just do it once, that is enough. Besides, we don't want you to get banned on the MS for constantly refreshing the server.

My lag still won't stop Spazzo. I followed all you'r instructions, and still nothing. I did find out something though. The game lags whenever I press ANYTHING on my keyboard, or move my mouse. When there's nothing being pressed, the lag stops, but I can't just stand still all the time in net games now can I?

Any other ideas guys?

Perhaps your internet connection just isn't strong enough to maintain hosting capabilities? Perhaps you're in a foreign location and everyone else playing is miles upon miles away?

I don't host. Not much though. When ever I do host, there's no lag. 99% of the time I join other net games. Plus, I even get lag on my brother's servers, and he's about 20 ft. away most of the time.

Come onnnnn

I take it you are on wireless, ping your router, how long does it take? Ping google.com see how long it takes.

BTW i am loling at everyone who is saying win 7. Win 7 is just Vista.

Well I do have a fast internet, but it seems as though Srb2 is the only thing that lags.

But what do you mean by "ping my router"? How do I do that?

Why some people think it is Windows 7....

I was using Windows 7 on the same computer as my Vista. I got more lag using Windows 7 for whatever reason.

Might be a coincidence. But it happened to several games.

Hardware or driver issue, not the OS. Read the example I just gave you in my post you quoted. Yeah, Windows 7 is not the cause.

Guys, i just found out the REAL (hopefully it works) solution for this whole problem!

I have a friend of mine, who also uses Windows 7, and he has the same problem...(even on Hamachi, and we were next to each other), he had huge frame lag, sometimes cause a bit of a spike lag, BUT....this problem is not only exclusive in SRB2, it happens on EVERY netgaming software he uses.

Now he had some crazy idea, when we left our private server...

He goed to the properties of srb2win.exe, choose compatibility tab, set the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2. Saved it, closed it...started the game again...He started hosting this time, and i joined...when the join lag is finished we were like, OMGWTFBBQ THE FRAME LAG IS GONE! Not only works on SRB2, but also worked an DosBox, Fusion, ect.

That being said, Bloodshot, try this method and see if it works for you. If it is, epic cheers for ya man. If not, then damn...

Good luck (you will need it)

P.S. and OffTopic: Yes i'm still waiting for 2.0.5, which means i'm still gone...I only came here to post the solution...

Ohhai, feel like adding my two cents on this cause.

Been trying to play netgames online, get the same kind of lag blood reports (very low fps) single player plays fine. I'm using 64 bit win7.

My brother gets the same issue, living at a different house (32 bit win 7).

We decided to meet up to test things out.

1. First we tried a local game wirelessly, same thing happened but only for the person not hosting (both ways around)
2. Next we tried a local game using two lan cables to the router, same thing occured.
3. Finally, did a direct connection between the two computers, alas it happened once again.

Tried all of spazzo's advice, no changes.

Edits: Running in any form of vista/xp compatibility doesn't fix the problem, though we have found the longer we play the less the non-host lags. By the time we got to erz2 things seemed to be playable at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back