Official Level Design Contest: July/August Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

The turnout was rather decent this time, but not as good as last contest, with 8 match stages and 4 single player stages.

The voting works as follows: Play a few games of the stage in question, in the intended gametype for judging, and give the map a vote from 0 to 10. You can not vote on your own map. To encourage voting, if you are an author and you judge all of the competitor's maps, the lowest score on your map will be dropped. Please be as unbiased as possible for the author or the look of the map. It's all about how good the map plays, nothing else.

Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

Judging will end September 8th at midnight GMT (September 7th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.

The maps follow:

Match Contest Level Pack
Single Player Contest Level Pack

Match Pack contains the following maps:
MAP01 - Greenery Hills 2 - JJames19119
MAP02 - Cynicism - RedFox34
MAP03 - Insanity Planet - SRB2-Playah
MAP04 - Amphitheatre - Oogaland
MAP05 - Peach's Castle - Chaos Zero 64
MAP06 - Diving Meadows - Sonicandtails218
MAP07 - Up and Down - Sonicandtails218
MAP08 - Koth - Hotdog003 & Spazz

The single player levels for judging are:
Wed - Arf
Dark Palisades Zone - Tets
Aerial Factory Zone - Sonicandtails218
Storm Ruins Zone - FuriousFox

Please make sure to play the levels in the intended gametype, and above all, have fun judging!

Spazzo said:
Um, Mystic?
The match pack's file is corrupt
It's working fine here and several other people in the channel are having no trouble. Try deleting it from temporary internet files and redownloading.

Bigboi said:
Since I am not entered...

Iduntcare.
And that attitude is why we had to discontinue them for a time.

Take a little bit of time and at least judge the single player levels. It goes a long way towards adding more to the community. Without feedback, there isn't much of a point, now is there?

Yee, I'm the first map in the pack. :D *shot*

Gunna take a look now, it's been a while since I've played any new maps so this is quite a fun time I'll be having. ^^

EDIT: Well I'm done with all the maps, here's my short judging:

MAP02 - Cynicism - RedFox34 ~ 6
MAP03 - Insanity Planet - SRB2-Playah ~ 4
MAP04 - Amphitheatre - Oogaland ~ 7
MAP05 - Peach's Castle - Chaos Zero 64 ~ 6
MAP06 - Diving Meadows - Sonicandtails218 ~ 6
MAP07 - Up and Down - Sonicandtails218 ~ 3
MAP08 - Koth - Hotdog003 & Spazz ~ 4

Wed - Arf ~ 6
Dark Palisades Zone - Tets ~ 10
Aerial Factory Zone - Sonicandtails218 ~ 5
Storm Ruins Zone - FuriousFox ~ 7

And my comments for each level:

MAP02 - Cynicism - RedFox34 ~ 6
Ugh, so tiny. Don't play this map if you have a fear of cramped places. (I forget what it's called) Doesn't look like muhc effort was put into this map. Though, it has been proven that small DM maps can be hyper with 3-5 people in it. The slight lack of rings though kinda makes that a little nil here, and the Random Moniters may be a bad idea. (It's always best to use deaf moniters than Random so as to lessen the chances of making a god moniter appear) The single useless Rail powerup (Auto would've been better) makes fights here somewhat stale after a while. 6/10

MAP03 - Insanity Planet - SRB2-Playah ~ 4
In short: It lives up to it's name. It's a madhouse, anything goes here. From super high raising water with "holes" in it to an underwater hidden pathway to grassy crushers from the sky, it's truly insanity. The map suffers from just that though: There's no "battle", just trying to adjust to the map, which is hard what with the insanity. Random deaths are abound as crushers, falling platforms, and the water all threaten to keep your score to a bare minimum. The lack of rings don't help either. It's difficult to fight here sadly, though it is funny to see your opponents struggle to get around. 4/10

MAP04 - Amphitheatre - Oogaland ~ 7
Like it's name says, it looks like an amphitheatre. Strangely enough, the idea works, thanks to the correct thing placement. An Auto powerup dares those brave enough to attempt dodging the talented snipers in the king seats. The Rail powerups will aid said snipers to punish the fools who simlessly walk into the middle of the field. If you're aiming to kill said snipers, go around the stage and take the back door; They lead right behind the sniper, where they're most vurnerable. There's a good amount of rings here thankfully. The stairs are very steep though. Not suitable for this map. Otherwise, makes for an excellent party game, match, tag, or whatever. 7/10

MAP05 - Peach's Castle - Chaos Zero 64 ~ 6
A near perfect remake of Princess Peach's Castle from the Nintendo 64 Game, Super Mario 64. I give it points for accuracy. A lot of the detail was filled in, even the little black hole Mario comes out of after going into the Metal Cap stage. (Which includes an Infinite powerup for those of you curious enough to want to know) The ring placement is okay. The water gets annoying fast. The moniters are far too close together. (Can you say "One sided fight"?) And WTF is the point in the Super Sonic powerup? Maybe to show off but this is a match level for the contest, that's silly. All in all, it's great to explore but isn't too fit for match. 6/10

MAP06 - Diving Meadows - Sonicandtails218 ~ 6
Unlike most match levels, this map is extremely vertical. Most people will start on the top of the level where there's four Auto powerups and four moniters, not to mention a lot more powerups and moniters on the platforms to the side. More one sided fights. :roll: There's enough rings here so a powerupless, moniterless battle would be good fun. There's a big teleporter to keep players from being stranded at the bottom of the map. Things can get crazy here though it can be a bit difficult at times. People must rely heavily on first person view and mouse look to find and hit their target most of the time. Looks good but it's not that good of a map. 6/10

MAP07 - Up and Down - Sonicandtails218 ~ 3
Bleh. Too many rings, not enough varerity, and horrible, horrible framerate ruins this map. If the rings were less and the framerate acceptable then this map may be fun since rings would be flying everywhere and fun dodging would commence. The framerate makes it too hard to dodge anything though sadly. It was a badly built map from the start it looks like as it's just too big and the rings are too plentiful for there to be any kills much less the needed "ran-out-of-rings" situation. (Cause it's very up-lifting to make a kill because your opponent spent too many rings trying to hit you. Priceless.) Nice idea basing it off a Bomberman 64 battle level but it just doesn't work on SRB2, I'm sorry. 3/10

For a collab, this reeks. I could've done this map in 20 minutes alone, it's so small. I saw no need for a second person here. Also, the idea might've been nice on paper but it doesn't work in action. The serious lack of rings hurts this map so very badly. Yes, I realize the idea of the map but think of it this way: Four people come out the start and three get hit easily while the forth player picks up their rings, allowing the forth player to score very easy kills with little effort. Getting hit will bring you to certain death as your opponent will most likely sweep in for your rings leaving you with too little to fight with. It may as well be on sudden death but that would make it boring waiting for the rings to reappear when you die and setting the respawn rate low would introduce players who cowardly wait inside their barracks until they amass a lot of rings and attempt to slaughter everyone by randomly throwing rings around as opposed to trying not to miss at all costs to conserve ammo. The tiny level itself is stale and the slime pit doesn't really make the elvel any better unless you're a suicidalist. Just not a great idea, that's all this map truly suffers from. 4/10

Wed - Arf ~ 6
Wow. Just wow. This must be the result of someone with WAY too much fre time on their hands. First, the good points. You can explore to your heart's content here at the beginning, lot's of places to explore and the map itself is super huge, so you'll be spending time here. There's quite abit of replay value hidden here so it's worth a try. There's also a lot of vararity, a lot of things many people haven't really thought of. It's really interesting. Now for the many bad points. This level is so GOD DAMMED HARD it will blow your balls out your mouth and send them through the computer screen. The intense difficulty of this level means that only true, TRUE SRB2 pros would be able to make it to the finish without having to use the STARTLIVES command. It's extremely frustrating. What's worse is that, only one starpost works, meaning if you touch one, that's it. It's gets extremely annoying, extremely fast when you die and repeatedly do the same part over and over again just to continue at that one frustrating part you keep dying at. Speaking of which, a few of the segments here will require a lot of trial and error. (Or a huge multitude of skill) I honestly have never seen the end of this level myself, I wager I've only gotten halfway. Totally insane. A nice timekiller but beware; you may break your keyboard playing this level. 6/10

Dark Palisades Zone - Tets ~ 10
Now this is the perfect example of what an SRB2 Single Player level should look like. Perfect size, perfect ring placement, perfect enemy placement and amount, just a perfect level in just about every sense. Playing as Sonic here can be an absolute blast because there's so much room to run around in, you can go full speed all the way. It's so incredibly fun to play Time Attack here because of that. (My personal best was 1:50) And if you're a Tails or Knuckles player, you can explore the level's every crevass and crack to find all those little knick knacks. (OMG Rhyme) The music is very catchy and great to listen to and the level itself is visually appealing. I honestly wish I myself was this good at making single player maps cause my level pack may actually beat out Mystic's Mystic Realm. It's just an impressive level that I will be playing for weeks, excellent work. 10/10

Aerial Factory Zone - Sonicandtails218 ~ 5
Meh, t'was okay. Very cool start, making it look like the beginning of a Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic or Shadow level. The elvel itself was pretty small though. The place was flooded with enemies though, making walking the ground a bit hard. The concept is nice, a floating factory. There are a few tricks and traps here and there. The two turrets near the end were annoying because there was no way to avoid their fire. The conveyers with lasers are a nice touch is a bit hard at one point. (Damn you! Stole my idea. ;_; ) The last bit can be annoying if you don't know what to do since the land you're supposed to reach is so, so far away and you have no aid from a spring. It's an alright map, not much replay value though. 5/10

Storm Ruins Zone - FuriousFox ~ 7
This was a good map. Some replay value is here thanks to exploration and multiple routes. There's a lot of enemies so best put it on easy if you're not that great at SRB2. It's a good map all around, standard map elements and no unexpected death pits. Nice platforming stages in the level make it good for Time Attack. Not muhc else to say other than it has water. ONOS :eek: 7/10

...and that's enough typing for me. x_x Aw jeez...it's 5 AM. o_o I well I spent a nice 2 hours typing didn't I? ^^;; Ah, well good enough I suppose. Those are my votes. I don't expect my map to win really, I know it suffers from the same things some of the other maps here suffer from. (At the time, I didn't really know it.) I know Amphitheatre is better than mine. ^^;; Anyways, good luck too all the guys out there!

Im first votin for the match levals I put them in order from best to worst and then my mark and I forgot to add a comment

Leval name My mark
Diving Meadows 10
Up and Down 8
AMPHITHEATRE 8
GREENERY HILLS 7
INSANITY PLANET 7
PEACHS CASTLE 6
CYNICISM 4
King of the Hill 1

Diving Meadows: Nice and big thats why I gave it a 10 :)
Up and Down: From the original Bomberman 64 :) I like it
AMPHITHEATRE: Great for 1 on 1 other people can stand on the stands
GREENERY HILLS: You could make it bigger prehaps buts its nice
INSANITY PLANET: INSANE!!!
PEACHS CASTLE: Could of made the inside prehaps?
CYNICSM: I hate this map its boring and could of been made bigger
King of the Hill: Next time put rings on the outside and it could be a good map :|

JJames19119 said:
For a collab, this reeks. I could've done this map in 20 minutes alone, it's so small. I saw no need for a second person here. Also, the idea might've been nice on paper but it doesn't work in action. The serious lack of rings hurts this map so very badly. Yes, I realize the idea of the map but think of it this way: Four people come out the start and three get hit easily while the forth player picks up their rings, allowing the forth player to score very easy kills with little effort. Getting hit will bring you to certain death as your opponent will most likely sweep in for your rings leaving you with too little to fight with. It may as well be on sudden death but that would make it boring waiting for the rings to reappear when you die and setting the respawn rate low would introduce players who cowardly wait inside their barracks until they amass a lot of rings and attempt to slaughter everyone by randomly throwing rings around as opposed to trying not to miss at all costs to conserve ammo. The tiny level itself is stale and the slime pit doesn't really make the elvel any better unless you're a suicidalist. Just not a great idea, that's all this map truly suffers from. 4/10

It was intended as a new game mode. It wasn't intended to run smoothly, it was meant so that in the end, there is a victor and a loser, hence, King of the hill.

Aerial factory: 7/10
I liked this map, the beggining was well done, and there were a few traps. The amount of enemys will give you a good chance of re-stocking on lives if you lost a lot.The secret was well hidden. There was only one error, the camera got stuck in the button room, and that's not good when you're at the side of a trap. I really never liked the music that was used in this level, but I won't count that, because it's not that serious.
Dark Palisades:9/10
This map was...........GREAT!!! Everything here was Good, but I have given it a 9 because I hate water in all the forms and it was used too much. I would have given it an 8 because It lags when I need to jump on some FOFs (I have a crappy PC, that's why I didn't count this) and the music didn't work, but the level was totally good.
Storm ruins:7/10
My reason to why I gave it an 7 can be explained with one word:
WATER.
If there's something I don't like is water, and at the first water part, there aren't any Water pockets at Sight.
But I could have given it a 6 if it wasn't by three things:
-The crusher room.(You stole my idea =P)
-The custom Water Monitor. It was kewled out
-and the Waterfall tower. The water was used so good there That I loved it.
But it had too much WATER
Wed:
Wow this map is interesting for people who want a TOUGH, but I men Tough tough challenge. I found all the 14 special stage tokens. Wait.... THIS IS MY MAP:
-/10

That's it. Bye people. And I won't check the deathmatch maps because I can't play online to test them at the max. Sorry

Mystic said:
Bigboi said:
Since I am not entered...

Iduntcare.
And that attitude is why we had to discontinue them for a time.

Take a little bit of time and at least judge the single player levels. It goes a long way towards adding more to the community. Without feedback, there isn't much of a point, now is there?

It's just that I've been very busy lately, shopping for school supplies, among other things. I just don't have enough time to play 2, 3 rounds of each map, and write a review for all of them.

Spazzo said:
JJames19119 said:

It was intended as a new game mode. It wasn't intended to run smoothly, it was meant so that in the end, there is a victor and a loser, hence, King of the hill.

Think about it, there's no such mode in SRB2 as "Survival" mode. :| (Though it would be a good idea) You're forced to play the map smoothly unless you have an administrator who knows what he's doing.

JJames19119 said:
Think about it, there's no such mode in SRB2 as "Survival" mode. :| (Though it would be a good idea) .

We don't need the game mode to be offical or anything, we just want players to try playing as if it was. You said it was a good idea, hopefully people can try playing KOTH with this "Good Idea" in mind.

WED: 5/10
Pro: Nice looking.
Con: Very big, and very confusing. I spent quite some time looking for where I was supposed to go.
Not really a pro or a con: When I died, I switched to a red Sonic. (I was playing Knuckles). That was wierd.

Aerial Factory 1: 7/10
Pro: I liked the little rollor coaster ride in the beginning. | Smashing the hoards of red crawlas was fun.
Con: Kinda short.

Dark Palisade: 8/10
Pro: It looked great! I liked the trees. | A good length.
Con: I got lost a little bit. No big. | Lack of music.

Storm Ruins: 8/10
Pro: The underwater parts were cool. | The air box was brilliant.
Con: I can't really think of one... Good show.

Final thoughts: 1.09 should need a 'Wrong Way' sign graphic.

I'll get back to you on the match levels once I get a netgame with them.
And no, I won't forget this time. :mrgreen:

Fairly short reviews.
Only for the match levels (I'll give the 1-P levels later)

King of the hill:
4/10.
Needs more size, no way to escape poison(that I can find), the doors don't open,
I can't find any weapon rings, not many rings, average evasiveness.

Greenery Hills 2:
7/10
Big, but not too big. Has a decent amount of weapon rings, and a lot of rings to collect and use.
Enough space to avoid most attacks.

Cynicism
5/10
Fair in size, but too few rings. 1 weapon ring (rail ring), easy to avoid attacks.

Insanity Planet
7/10
Big, and nice water idea. However, there aren't a lot of rings,
and the only weapon ring I can find is the rail ring,
and, not too many items. However, nice overall design.

Ampitheater
6/10
It's big, and has a decent layout. Has 2 weapons (Rail+Auto).
However, there are too few rings to make them really worth it.
Also, only ring boxes. No item boxes.

Peach's Castle
8/10
This is the only level where scenery appeals to me. The level is fairly small,
but the areas you can get to, and the Super Sonic, definitely makes up for it.
Plenty of items. Points lost for: NO weapon rings, you can't go in.

Diving Meadows
9/10
This level is great! It's huge, has tons of rings, item boxes, and a TON of Rail/Auto rings.
The only parts I didn't like is the scenery, and should have the other weapons.
That's why it's 9 and not 10.

Up & down
7/10
Probably the most creative of them all. It's huge, and has a ton of rings.
However, the weapons are only Rail/Bomb, which take to much time
in between to matter much about the ring count.
Needed Item boxes, and more weapons (auto ring in it would have
definitely made it perfect.

Here are what I think of the match maps:

Greenery Hills 2: 6/10
The scenery struck me as bland. Pretty good, though.

Cynicism: 8/10
While there's nothing I can really note, this map was pretty fun.

Insanity Planet: 8/10 (My vote doesn't count.)
I was a smidge concerned to how people would react to the insanity.
I was aiming for it to be pure insanity, but still playable.
D'ya think I did good?

Amphitheatre: 7/10
It was good. Can't really think of anything notable...

Peach's Castle: 6/10
Too many item boxes, and not enough rings.
But the super sonic thing was a small bonus.

Diving Meadows: 8/10
Wierd how the name doesn't match the level...
Pretty fun.

Up and down: 7/10
I like levels with tons of rings.
But, why are there spawnpoints in the pits of doom?

KOTH: 7/10
This was the most unique of the bunch.
Nice concept. Would've been better if there were rings outside, though...
Pretty much, when you run out of rings, you're toast.

Final thoughts: None of them stunk, but none of them got a 9 either. :roll:

Hey I never thought That WED would be hard for you, but this is my excuse:
From what I have read in the MB and in Mirc I thought you would have no problem with WED. Really I thought you all were pros. Anyway, WED originally was HARDER. Yes, Harder.
But The challenge will get you in for a time, and for the adventurers, try the extra challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back