[SRB2] Colour Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disolia

Based on the information I've gathered from the wiki this game seemed to support 256 Bitmap colouring. Yet even upon generating the 256 colour theme myself onto my sprites the character's colour still becomes distorted when placed into the doom palette. Upon this annoyance I've began to browse the internet searching for an answer, or a means to adjust the characters sprite colours from slade into a more relative colour theme to the original. Unfortunately after 3 hours of browsing the internet I've gained nothing but stress, and heartache.

If anyone out there could provide me with the information I require I would be extremely grateful. If not, then I'll only wish that you'd have a blessed day, and I thank you for taking your time for reading my thread.

Edit: I apologize for placing this thread within the incorrect section of the forums; Please forgive my rashful ignorance.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how exactly the colors become distorted, but I'll try to help.

For starters SRB2 doesn't use the Doom pallete if you're trying to convert them to that, instead it uses the Sonic (SRB2) one. Usually you can change this with the drop down menu when converting sprites, but if SLADE is using SRB2 as the base resource this shouldn't be an issue as it should convert them to said pallete by default.

rogpdkB.png

Perhaps showing an image would help better explain my issue.

Direct Conversion from PNG
aXhsxmG.png

My 256 BMP Conversion
uh2W5Cf.png

Upon attempting to add my BMP into slade the programs becomes unable to read the image file. I'm currently use SLADE v3.0.2.
kZaha5v.png

As a secondary attempt I transformed the 256 BMP into a PNG, and tried running that through slade, and ended up with rather disappointing results.
PNUIYWJ.png

I wish to inquire the reason to why the program keeps distorting my colours, even after I convert it using the 256 colour palette. If uncertain, might I insteade inquire a method of transforming my own 256 BMP into a doom image file without interference from the programs method of change.

Are you certain it's converted to the right 256-color palette? I ran your sample through GIMP's indexing options with the SRB2 palette (which has always worked for me in the past) and got the same results you're getting now. If you have a true-color version that's substantially different, try adding that and letting SLADE autoconvert it, and see if the results are any better disregard me for not reading your posts all the way through. But you might try another manual conversion. (SRB2's palette, unfortunately, doesn't provide many options for pastel colors, so that particular sprite might just end up looking like garbage no matter what.)

nice taste in princesses, by the way

Last edited:
This reminds me of when I tried making a Celestia WAD myself using either those exact same sprites or very similar sprites. Let's just say SLADE doesn't do a really good job of converting those sprites over to the SRB2 palette. Your best bet is trying to manually convert the sprites to SRB2's palette in some way (i.e. using MS Paint). Even then, it might still look kinda ugly since SRB2 really can't do gradients like those featured in the original sprite.

Understood, you both have my gratitude. Obviously the best option is to wait for the developers to develop a method that allows the game to utilize more true colours.

Until that time comes I'll have to release the best possible Celestia I could muster in SRB2; Celestia V1.2.
kxatl7T.gif

Last edited:
We're having another issue with the colors I'm working on the same project as Disolia. With our Celestia wad the in game colors are different than what Slade shows, even though we did the above steps by setting it to the doom graphics converted to Srb2.

In game.
http://i.imgur.com/AY8iRBa.png

What Slade Shows.
http://i.imgur.com/V5NEHO2.png

At this point I wonder if we should just use different characters. I recall there used to be a True Color Srb2 mod. Is there any reason something like that was never added to the main game? Just curious is all.

We also read the wiki and it doesn't seem to cover this issue.

Last edited:
Question; what is this character's startcolor?

I think based off what's happening is that the startcolor is set to cyan/blue (somewhere around 208 maybe), and therefore those are the color being changed into her prefcolor, which I assume is white.

Changing the startcolor to 0, white, should make the character's main body change color instead of the mane.

Thanks Jasper that helped a lot we managed to fix it. My Srb2 was defaulting to steel blue for some reason, so her mane was actually functioning properly it was my client glitching. We also used your suggestion so her body color changes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back