Freefall sprites not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Earl

Hello again! i am more-or-less 75% complete with my wad, but when i do my freefall sprites, it changes from my sprite to the default sonic freefall sprite. i try everything and i still have the problem, if anyone would like to help me, i will send you a link to my wad. Thanks!

We all pretty much need to see your Wad to see the issue. The Lua might be enough, though. So the first thing for you to do might be copy-pasting the entire Lua here. Please make sure to wrap it inside [CODE] and [/CODE] "tags", though.

Lua?

Who mentioned Lua? Am I out of the loop :^

Anyways, make sure the sprites are named properly (e.g. lowercase letters) or else default sprites (sonic's) are used. You'll need to turn on the percent encoding option in Slade if you're using that and you can't write lowercase letters.

Did you give the freefall sprites the right lump names? IIRC, the sprite names for the freefall sprites should be PLAY(')1 up to PLAY(')8 (Without the parentheses, of course.)

Edit: I checked the Player.dta again and it seems all the freefalling frames have duplicates that use the name PLAY(a)<insert a number from 1-8 here>. might be a good idea to do that as well.

Last edited:
There seems to be a ton of misconceptions and unexplained assumptions flying about here and it's getting silly. Let me clear up a few things before we move on:

1) is this a custom character's falling down sprites being made? if so, there is absolutely no reason why they would default to Sonic's own falling sprites under normal circumstances (I'm pretty sure they normally "default" to the <!> graphic for missing sprites in actual fact). Either Lua IS being used or the author is doing something else weird somehow, I can't tell with the little info given so far.

2) it's actually the backquote character (`) that's used for the first falling frame, not the apostrophe ('). It's an easy mistake to make.

Last edited:
Lua? Who mentioned Lua? Am I out of the loop :^
They (Thomas Earl) said "freefall", which to me implies it's a set of custom-scripted stuff and such, something other than the "fall" sprites. To me, a "freefall" in Sonic games is like what Sonic does in Sonic Colours after using the Rocket Wisp, for example.

If they are just talking about the "fall" sprites, I apologize. Again, it to me implied something custom-scripted and such.

All right, sorry about what i am saying. When i said freefall, i meant the falling sprites, here is a gif of the problem (if you see super sonic, that's because i'm using the Super Sonic wad that i ported to 2.1 as a base) it's incomplete so ignore the spring sprites and watch how Classic Sonic transitions from my sprites to default sprites. how do i fix this?
giphy.gif

EDIT: Alright, i fucked up badly, i accidently deleted two MARKER files and now some sprites are messed up, can anyone give me a character wad template i can use so i won't have to go through the time and trouble to make them just in case i can't recover from this massive fuck-up
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I recommend you use SLADE or SlumpEd to rename the falling sprites to a lowercase "a". Uppercase "A" is your standing sprite and lowercase "a" is a falling sprite.

Hello everyone! i sadly have to postpone this wad for now as a BSOD has corrupted my laptop and is now being system restart-ed, so my progress is all gone. if anyone has a character WAD template i can use, i will be very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back