/!\ UPDATES /!\
Update from 5/18 http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=725919&postcount=8
Update from 8/7 http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=728205&postcount=9
Update from 8/22 http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=728514&postcount=11
Update from 9/3 http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=728871&postcount=12

Original Post
Because it's obligatory.

Official reveal trailer.

Rumored Multiplayer Aspects (Clearly Set To Change)

LOTS OF MECHS.

OH AND HORSES

Yeah, another Call of Duty game. Sequel to the previous Black Ops.

Scarily, I am actually a bit psyched for this. But just a little.

I'm sure if there's one thing we can actually tolerate out of these CoD games, it's Zombies mode. Better have freaking Zombies mode.

Honestly, though, it's that same old consistent shitfest we're dealt year after year. Throw out your old games, disregard the 20 prestiges you already got now and spend a month on call from your office to rank number 1 as you shoot and run over the same competitive game against 10-year-olds over Xbox Live.

So, begin comments. And let's not go into detail about why this shit's getting old. We've been down it several times, it ain't gonna make a difference to avoid it or attack it, so might as well shut up and face it.

Last edited:
Well, the new vehicles certainly look interesting. I'm hoping to see some futuristic weapons and more vehicle gameplay.

Yet again, I'm probably going to see how the game is after release before picking it up like I did with the first Black Ops.

Well, it's good to see they're actually adding more unique stuff to the series. Hopefully the multiplayer wont have stupidly linear and tiny maps like Modern Warfare 3 had, and I sincerely hope the vehicles aren't a campaign-only thing.

Interestingly enough, the rumors actually indicate some ways that the standard CoD formula might be changed up, and more akin to something like Battlefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=cWkH5VIC7mk&feature=endscreen

The video basically explains some new perks that really aren't something you'd expect from CoD. They also explain that perks now have a level choice. You can get standard pro versions, or the new "elite" versions that can work alongside other perks to enhance them.

A small run of the perks are...
Spy: Enemy teams see you as one of them until shot.
Pilot: Air killstreaks count towards your next killstreak.
Technician: Land killstreaks count toward your next killstreak.
Juggernaut: Regenerate health while moving (Not the same Juggernaut that we know)
Bladesman: Carry two knives for each hand instead of one for one.
Focus: Shoot while sprinting.

This list is just some of what's said to come, and it seems to be serious. The Focus perk could end up making rungun kind of people seem a bit OP, especially if they have a shotgun. What's your thoughts?

I'm not the biggest fan of the series but the futuristic setting looks cool. I doubt I'll buy it though.

... If you don't want us to talk about how much shitfest this series is, why make a topic about it? That's inevitable. I personally never liked the series, or any FPS. Heck, the only FPS I like playing once in a while is TF2.

... If you don't want us to talk about how much shitfest this series is, why make a topic about it? That's inevitable. I personally never liked the series, or any FPS. Heck, the only FPS I like playing once in a while is TF2.
No love for TFC/Fortress Forever?

God, Treyarch makes it sounds like they're making a NOT-CoD.

After months of whispers, the industry's worst kept secret is confirmed: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is coming in November. CVG was lucky enough to be one of the first websites in the world to go eyes-on with the reveal demo and, as you'll see below, Black Ops 2 definitely isn't what you think.

1. IT'S SET IN THE FUTURE
2025 to be exact: far enough in the future to bring newfangled equipment into play, but not too distant to weigh you down with 'pew pew' laser handguns, plasma rifles and death rays. Thirteen years is a long time in the world of technology - thirteen years ago there were giant super computers costing millions of dollars that wouldn't be able to hold a candle to the PS3, for instance - and in the time between 2012 and Black Ops 2's setting it's clear tech companies haven't eased up on their R&D budgets.

From a warfare point of view we're talking drones, primarily. No longer will humans be your only enemy: plodding and rolling assault drones with rifles/chainguns/rocket launchers strapped onto their sides are common foes, as are aerial mechs in the form of weaponised quadrotors. Luckily you'll have all of this equipment at your disposal too, along with limited command abilities courtesy of some timely d-pad pressing.

Weapons showcase a mix of the familiar and new. Rocket launchers haven't really progressed much beyond 'fire rocket at bad guy, rocket go boom, bad guy goes splat'. Why spoil a winning formula? On the other hand, certain rifles now have the ability to punch through cover with a railgun-like effect thanks to charged, multi-bullet shots, while grenades are quickly and effortlessly launched over huge distances thanks to sleek handcannons.

Examples of tech progression aren't limited to just the killing gear, either. As early as the mission select screen (although we were quickly whisked through it, we made out a command centre with a holographic 3D map in the middle) future tech is on show by way of glasses that display all the info you'd normally associate with an FPS HUD. This technology extends to vehicles too: looking ahead during an early on-rails van ride through Downtown Los Angeles gives us ample time to make out speedometer and fuel gauge displays in the corners of the windshield. Above the freeway, computerised displays point commuter traffic in the right direction.

But it's important to point out that developers Treyarch haven't gone overboard with holograms and virtual signage: regular lamppost street signs are still metal and paint, for instance. Black Ops 2's vision of the future hints at the worlds we've come to associate with the likes of Deus Ex and Syndicate without fully stepping into the realms of the fantastical. Strip away the collapsing skyscrapers, the jets on bombing runs and the drones mowing down anyone and everyone, and Black Ops 2 presents a credible prediction of what the cities of 2025 might look like.

2. BUT IT'S ALSO SET IN THE PAST
Treyarch is promising Black Ops 2's villain - a man called Raul Menendez - is destined to become an iconic gaming bad guy. And to build him up in this manner, his story - much like yours - begins 30 years previously in the mid-80's.

While the majority of Black Ops 2's action is set to take place in 2025, you'll occasionally be leaping back to the land of Predator, Commando, and A-Ha. The only 80's environment revealed so far is Afghanistan - a dusty set-up with horseback gunplay promised as your Black Ops team secretly meets up with Chinese forces to supply the Mujahedeen with weapons intended to fight the Soviet forces - but more are expected thanks to some loose story ends (more on that shortly).

Don't expect a clean 1980's/2025 split either - there's a good 30 years in between ripe for missions and Treyarch is likely to leverage at least a couple of levels out of this range. Present day antics are doubtful given that this is a period already covered off by the Modern Warfare trilogy, but there's no way Treyarch is going to create a grand villain in Menendez simply by showing his genesis in the 80's and then leaping forward 30 years without so much as a hint of what he's been up to in between.

3. IT'S A DIRECT SEQUEL TO BLACK OPS
It's called Black Ops 2 for a reason. Treyarch were fond of the interrogation storytelling mechanic in the first game and wanted to go with something similar for the sequel. At the same time, it was also well aware of gamers' fondness for Black Ops' leading men and the need to wrap up Black Ops' story.

With those two points firmly in mind, Black Ops 2 is the tale of Frank Woods as he recalls events from the past and (future) present. Unless he's got his Mystic Meg on and the events of Black Ops 2 flashed before his eyes as he tumbled out of the window with Kravchenko, Woods did indeed survive the events of Black Ops and made it to the ripe old age of 95 at the very least.

Clearly you'll not be fighting in his boots: this might be a sci-fi spin on Call of Duty, but Black Ops II stops well short of casting you as the next Davros. Instead, you'll be locking and loading as the Masons: Alex Mason resumes his role as the main protagonist in the 80's era levels, while the modern-day scuffles will be viewed through the eyes of David Mason. You know what they say: like father, like son. Particularly when it comes to enlisting in top secret global operative outfits. And killing people.

Not all the footnotes there. Read about it here.

So... new aspects in a nutshell: 2025, switch from 80s to 2025, sandbox style gamemode, branching storyline a'la Mass Effect or Heavy Rain, RTS, better-looking engine (still IW) and 8-player Zombies with a persistent storyline. Oh, and some multiplayer shit.

I'm actually starting to get really pumped about this, even if Zombies ends up being the only mode I play.

Wild Card Class System

So apparently, a new system is being implemented for "Create-A-Class" in BO2 called the Wild Card system.

Basically, you run on a point system. You get up to 10 points you can use. You can have a Primary with 2 attachments, a secondary, a lethal grenade, 2 tacticals and your 3 perks. This is just an example. There's a bit more to it.

This next bit is on the wild cards. You get up to 3 wild cards you can use. You can use these to add another attachment to your guns, get another lethal, add more perks, etc. As the basic formula, adding a wild card will cost a point. Adding the equipment costs a point. You will basically spend 2 points for extra equipment.

One wild card lets you have two primary weapons in place of your secondary. If you want to get technical, the sense is the usual secondary would be a smaller and more efficient weapon to switch to, such as a pistol.

Here's a video if you want the rundown.

Black Ops 2: So Classified, XP Can't Run It

It seems XP users are getting shafted. Treyarch has confirmed it.

Treyarch said:
Since we upgraded the engine to use DirectX11, Windows XP is no longer supported. It requires Windows Vista or later.

Read up on it here.

XP users, you'd best move up.

Uh, that means people without DirectX 11 cards can't use the game either? Why couldn't they just make the Direct X 11 features optional?

Uh, that means people without DirectX 11 cards can't use the game either? Why couldn't they just make the Direct X 11 features optional?

Not sure. I wouldn't be surprised, though. More than likely, though, all that is happening is that they're stripping out DX9 optimization only. To cut out DX10 would be fairly outrageous, as most computers aren't operating on DX11 based graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back