[Open Assets] [SRB2 Kart] Volcanic Valley (k_VolVal_v1.3.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz-T

Big money
Kart Krew™️
Well it's been just over a fornight's worth of work on this kart level and I think I'm ready to release it now.
So yeah, I bring to you Volcanic Valley! (MAP 43)
Point out any issues/glitches you come across, while playing this level. Suggestions are welcome too.

Attachments

• k_VolVal_v1.3.rar
    310.4 KB · Views: 468
  • srb20049.png
    srb20049.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 549
  • srb20054.png
    srb20054.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 462
  • srb20055.png
    srb20055.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 432
  • srb20056.png
    srb20056.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 446
  • srb20057.png
    srb20057.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 445
  • srb20050.png
    srb20050.png
    17 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Wow, this is VERY good in terms of level structure. All the stairs seem seamless and the checkpoints are in great places. There's a SHITLOAD of paths and a lot of interesting ways to meet them; the level feels very active/alive, not something you see much in kart mode. What I'd like to ask of you though: the fireballs are the main gimmick of this map as I see it, and it could be executed much better. I'd suggest making the fireballs larger in hitbox and in sprite size. A lot of the turns seem empty and unnecessary, this could be fixed by actually making them hazardous by adding obstacles after them, or boostpads along the inner edges of the stair turns (so better players will take a risk to get more speed). Fireballs should probably be everywhere around/close to items actually, they seem to be in places no one would go to. There are those pits where players use springs to get over, may I suggest making straight roads before the springs, turning them into regular vertical ones, and adding fireballs under the pits (Adds to difficulty so players have to aim before they spring to the other side)?

Lastly, the dash pads need to all be converted to boostpads, dash pads are NOT fun in kart mode unless they're at extremely hard to meet turns, which this map has none of. And the music needs to be a non default, I don't even think the current theme fits it at all. I'd suggest Volcano Valley Zone of Sonic 3D Blast Genesis (Act 2 would fit this better since this takes place outside).

EDIT: Actually, it's not hat the current theme doesn't fit at all, it's that it just seems boring in a Kart race.

Last edited:
What I'd like to ask of you though: the fireballs are the main gimmick of this map as I see it, and it could be executed much better. I'd suggest making the fireballs larger in hitbox and in sprite size. (...)Fireballs should probably be everywhere around/close to items actually, they seem to be in places no one would go to.
Well at the moment, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that exactly, but I do like this idea and it's definitely something I could look into.

And yeah, I can honestly say that I just slapped those fireballs in, just for the sake of having something more to see, but now I realise it would be more beneficial to my level as a gimmick that can add a little more to the gameplay. Thanks!

A lot of the turns seem empty and unnecessary, this could be fixed by actually making them hazardous by adding obstacles after them, or boostpads along the inner edges of the stair turns (so better players will take a risk to get more speed)..
Hazardous turns and/or risky boostpads, got it!

There are those pits where players use springs to get over, may I suggest making straight roads before the springs, turning them into regular vertical ones, and adding fireballs under the pits (Adds to difficulty so players have to aim before they spring to the other side)?
Yeah, that'd be pretty cool actually! I'll definitely be doing that with my level, when I get round to it. ( Of course, that means the red springs area after the 5th checkpoint will be scrapped, but it'll be worth it anyway!) Much appreciated!

Lastly, the dash pads need to all be converted to boostpads, dash pads are NOT fun in kart mode unless they're at extremely hard to meet turns, which this map has none of..

Again, this is something I'll have to look into, seeing as I'm unsure how exactly to create boostpads.

However, there's these row of dash pads:

qqxu1t.png

If I were to change them to boostpads, then the possibility of misaligning yourself with the platform would occur; what, with players being unable to see WHERE EXACTLY they have to land, before approaching it (which may lead to annoying deaths that could pretty much make the difference between a win and loss). Not only that, but even if the player WAS aligned with the platform, they'd constantly hit the barrier of the turn( Which'll become one heck of an annoyance.).

So for those reasons, only those dash pads will be staying, but I will change their appearance, so they ain't similar to boostpads. Speaking of those dash pads, I'll need to fix 'em so they can't be avoided. After playing the level a few more times, I somehow managed to zip right past them and fall to my death.

And the music needs to be a non default, I don't even think the current theme fits it at all. I'd suggest Volcano Valley Zone of Sonic 3D Blast Genesis (Act 2 would fit this better since this takes place outside).
I dunno. Although it may fit the level theme, the Act 2 music kinda sounds sad in my opinion and (as you implied)the Act 1 music is better suited to a more..."indoor"-based area.

Though at least we can agree on one thing:
Actually, it's not that the current theme doesn't fit at all, it's that it just seems boring in a Kart race.

And once more, I'll need to look into this to figure out how exactly to insert custom music and what not( Though I get the feeling it won't be too difficult anyway.).

Thanks for the feedback man!

Wow, you took that all well. :P
Not knowing much about how to map anything myself, D00D64 is the only person I know who can do boostpads correctly without glitches.

Just wanted to comment and say I really enjoyed this map -- as Iceman said, it's "very active/alive" feeling.

Thanks!

Version 1.1 is now available!
Changes include:
*Dash pads being converted to boostpads( except the ones mentioned in my previous post, in which I've altered their appearance.)
*Re-arrangement of (some, if not, most) fireballs and addition of big fireballs
*Rising lava obstacles (Similar to the small volcanoes after 1st checkpoint) near the finish.
*Music change (Though I'm not so confident with the choice that I made, as I'm more prone to selecting a tune that I like, as opposed to a tune that suits the level, so feel free to offer any suggestions on an alternate tune.)
and...
juzs4w.png

*A shortcut(Since a certain someone I know loves their shortcuts, I thought it wouldn't hurt to create one.). In case you're wondering, there's a few springs bundled together in this section of the track that'll launch you into it, so the shortcut is accessible (Requires a speed-enhancing item to successfully make it through.).
*Other stuff

Again, let me know of any issues that occur while you play the level and I'll see what I can do about it.

Edit:
Well since I didn't really put much thought into the shortcut, I took it upon myself to make it more challenging. I also got rid of a few slime trails as well, so these changes will be present in the next update; along with other issues you point out for me.

Last edited:
So gave this a shot with Zarro's Kart mod. I have to say, this was really good. However, it needs a better fitting song (Iceman's would most likely work.) and some of the breaks in the road came out of nowhere. (Namely the ones on one of those ramps near the start of the race, after a sharp turn.)

Keep up the good work, though!

Small update for Version 1.2, which is now available!
*music has been changed
*breaks in the road that were difficult to see coming were removed
*shortcut difficulty enhanched
*fixed a few graphical glitches

Version 1.3 is available for use!
Changes include:
*Most of the roads being wider (longer too)
*A few more checkpoints
*Death pits raised in certain areas
*Most of the insta-death obstacles now damaging the player instead
*Other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back