Bouncy FOFs don't reflect angles correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritz

Subhedgehog
Sonic Team Junior
No matter what angle you hit it from, an FOF with sector special 15 - Bouncy FOF will always negate your line of incidence:

GrimOldfashionedCattle.gif

Compare with the "Bouncy Wall" linedef flag, which works as expected:

RemoteSelfreliantHornshark.gif

A bouncy FOF is preferable, as I need to be able to adjust the strength of the pushback.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Here's a complicated one:

ShyFamousLark.gif

The floor of a bouncy FOF will reject the player as if they touched the sides if a custom FOF with a flag value of 316 is inhabiting that same sector, and only if the heights of the two FOFs are within 27 units of each other or less.

Last edited:
I can confirm it. If my memory serves me right -- it was back in 2012 --, the bouncy FOFs work right in the beginning, but as you continue editing the map (e.g. put some water FOFs, merge sectors etc) something I don't know glitches a particular bouncy FOF in the map. If I deleted the glitched FOF the bug simply migrated to another bouncy FOF; it was a truly cat-and-mouse game.

I haven't tested if this issue still happens today in 2.1.15. I isolated the bug in this video back then: https://youtu.be/kSu17dRhV8U?list=PLBWqae2CBZiEVU0l46Fpfu3W6wHk3jj4S (the video description contains more details)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Okay, Ritz, here's what I've gathered which may help you work around your issue:

* apparently Bouncy FOF walls are intentionally coded to send you back the opposite way you came, for some reason? This of course can be changed I suppose.

* if you remove the Bouncy FOF sector special and apply "Bouncy Wall" to the in-level linedefs around where the FOF will be, you can actually get the kind of bouncing you want.

* also, you can't actually adjust the bounce strength of bouncing off walls anyway, that only applies to bouncing off the top and bottom of "Bouncy FOF"-using FOFs.

Last edited:
* also, you can't actually adjust the bounce strength of bouncing off walls anyway, that only applies to bouncing off the top and bottom of "Bouncy FOF"-using FOFs.
Bouncy FOF strength absolutely does affect walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back