Conficker C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually laugh my ass ff if this wasn't a prank and got everyone off guard

super said:
I would actually laugh my ass ff if this wasn't a prank and got everyone off guard
This is why I brought it to attention. I dont want any of you to get screwed over. I MEAN EVERYONE IS GOING ABSOLUTELY NUTS ABOUT IT. This was even on 60 minutes. It pays to be sure

Even regardless of that, just read what the article says will keep you safe. It generally amounts to common sense.

Although anyone who downloaded Microsoft Security Update MS08-067 should be safe,

Does anyone NOT download those Security Updates? (I certainly hope not, my elaborate plan to ascend to Godhood relies on it)

And here's the other part of that sentence.
Although anyone who downloaded Microsoft Security Update MS08-067 should be safe,it's worth checking anyway - Conficker can also spread by guessing your passwords or hiding on like USB sticks and iPods.

It can still get in IF you aren't careful which comes back to why I posted the info in the first place. YOU ALL ARE IN SOME DANGER (no matter how cliche that sounds) If you don't pay attention to your stuff and the news. I just wanted to warn the people who didn't know.

Glad someone has made a topic about the April Fools Day Virus (or as I call it the AFDV). I think that updating your computer will help stop it (well that's what my aunt told me), but I did a bunch of random things like Tune-Up the PC, enabled Firewall and lots of stuff.

NiteAngel said:
Glad someone has made a topic about the April Fools Day Virus (or as I call it the AFDV). I think that updating your computer will help stop it (well that's what my aunt told me), but I did a bunch of random things like Tune-Up the PC, enabled Firewall and lots of stuff.

I recommend scanning your entire system once when you get on, and once when you get off, and at the end of day use a lockdown firewall that blocks every single thing from getting internet. or physically plug out your modem and or router just to be sure. That's my plan for today. Oh before I forget Nite and world, NO DOWNLOADING AT ALL!(unless you need to download something for your Antivirus program.)
I wish I had a spare computer thought. Then I could see what this virus does to a comp.

My Dad is about to check the computer for the worm...he's standing over me right now!!! XD

I won't believe it until I know it is real. I bet it is all made up just to make you guys get all worked up.

That's probably the case, Sonict.

Still, it doesn't hurt to take these safety precautions, I'm installing and doing some finnicking with my computer right now just in case this turns out to be legitimate and not fake.

Oh the melodrama.
Just one thought, however: If this 'virus' had no "trigger" date, would people take it seriously?

No, it's human nature to care more about things they believe have some kind of urgency. That's why every single sale in history urges you to "ACT NOW" to get your second meat slicer free with your first knife for only 3 easy payments of $19.95.

This is no different. If you apply the updates windows gives you on a regular basis, you are safe from most exploits. You shouldn't be any more worried about this than other stupidity like the Mayan calendar predicting the apocalypse on 12/21/2012. What you should REALLY be worried about is whether or not you're posting personal information online without thinking. More people lose out to things like filling out forms with credit information that they shouldn't than viruses.

crazy escape said:
NO DOWNLOADING AT ALL!

You know that downloading files isn't the only way that this kind of stuff spreads, right? Right now there's the growing threat of browser exploits (been around for a while, but haven't eased up any), and with Conflicker, distribution via infected USB drives.

I wish I had a spare computer thought. Then I could see what this virus does to a comp.

My suggestion: Do a complete backup of your stuff, then boot into Linux through a LiveCD or other means (a LiveCD won't touch your hard drives unless you ask it to). If you have a good enough computer and enough hard drive space, you could also virtualize a Windows machine using VirtualBox or a similar program, to see what kinds of effects the worm has. Or you could just tune in to the world using IRC, and you could watch the chaos from the safety of a CD-booted operating system that would be incompatible with the worm anyway. A Windows-based worm cannot harm a Linux/UNIX system. You could also use Linux/UNIX to safely perform a system scan using ClamAV.

I mean, yeah, the thing is set to "trigger" on April Fools', but you can never be too sure of the thing being a joke. Until things subside, I'll just go ahead and boot into Linux for the time being. Seriously, it pays to be a Linux geek.

Yeah I know now. (Thank the lord for lockdown firewall. This way if I get it thought usb, it wont activate and I'll be able to find it and destroy it.)I'm hyper careful around this kind of stuff.
Also, is everyone gonna be here on the wii or DS or 360 or psp/3 when it happens tomorrow?? I know I will be.

FoxBlitzz, could you send the site for VirtualBox to me after this mess is over? That would be awesome.

Alright guys I have to go for the night, take care.

I just wish someone could make a 24-styled clock counting down the hours till it hits. That would've been epic.

I did see this on 60 mins on Sunday night and all I gotta say is this. I just think its gonna be aimed at businesses Computers. So I really not gonna worry about this.

FoxBlitzz said:
crazy escape said:
NO DOWNLOADING AT ALL!

You know that downloading files isn't the only way that this kind of stuff spreads, right? Right now there's the growing threat of browser exploits (been around for a while, but haven't eased up any)

Just out of curiosity, what are some other ways to catch a virus?

But really, 40% of me is thinking this is really and the other 60% knows it might not be.

Heard about Conficker earlier this morning, and I don't see why I should be concerned about it. It's just another piece of malware, except this time around, ZOMG IT'S GONNA ****** BLOW AT MIDNIGHT RUUUUN!!!.
Besides, there are already plenty of options for removing Conficker before it gets the chance to do anything. (Assuming that you're even "infected".) Every Windows user that I know is prepared.

I'm staying booted into Ubuntu Hardy until the dust settles either way, it's better to be safe than sorry that I used Windows at the time. I prefer Linux anyway, and my next PC will probably only have Ubuntu installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back