OpenGL or Direct3D support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i found this site via random by searching for Sonic Stuff an i am pretty amazed about the fact that a Doom Engine can become one of the best Fanmade Sonic games.

I just wanna know if you can run this game with 3D Accelerator support.
I have a Radeon 9600.
In the ingame menue of Sonic there is a option for 3D Cards but it always say "You are in Software mde".
I searched the cfg. for activation of 3D but only found "Voodoo compatibility" wich didnt made a difference.

Could someone help me about that?

(P.S. I am from Germany and my English maybe sounds funny lol)

By the way, my Mother is an artist an made a Sonic Painting, look here:

sonic3kleiner0mf.jpg

You want SRB2 to run in OpenGL mode. If you just click on its icon, it will only run in Software mode.

To run SRB2 in OpenGL mode, you have a few options. One is trying out the launcher, which is available at the site's Addons page. I don't use it myself, though, so I can't help you there.
Another is using Start > Run. Type in "X:\SRB2DIR\srb2win.exe -opengl". The -opengl parameter executes SRB2 in OpenGL mode.

Nice painting, btw :P.

Yes, the software renderer is very slow, and hardware acceleration is miles faster. I prefer Direct X over OpenGL, though. Here are my main beefs with OpenGL:

- The Windows version doesn't support screen fades for some odd reason.

- It adds annoying darkened edges to all textures, so things like the scrolling sky and the talking Sonic at the end of the demo look a little bad.

- It has very, very poor Z-buffering precision. When you are looking at a waterfall or another shape that overlaps another polygon, it messes up and look odd.

- It doesn't support skinning and messes up the positions of my maximized windows.

- On my computer, it's slower than Direct X.

Fortunately, there are many things you can do in OpenGL rendering that can't be done with the software engine:

- The fact that it's hardware-accelerated, so you can jack up your resolution to make the game look real good.

- Dynamic lighting from shields, projectiles, Eggman's ship, and emeralds. It's not exactly real lighting but it looks nice. Only thing is that it makes the walls look unnaturally shiny.

- You can use anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering, which improve the quality of the overall image.

- Decent looking semi-transparencies.

- Actual texture filtering! Unfiltered pixels are ugly, especially in 256-color mode.

And that's about it. Oh yeah, and there's a bit of a glitch in OpenGL that lets you see some objects that are in rooms which aren't currently being rendered- in fact, this is how I found Tails' GFZ1 emblem and others like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back