When did you first know about the thok barrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digiku

This is geared specifically towards newer editors (older ones can respond, too!):

In editing maps, when did you first know how to use thok barriers correctly? Were you completely aware of them right away with the tutorial? Did it take a little longer? If I was trying to teach you how to make a bobbing FOF and the example map had a thok barrier with it, would you understand the difference between the bobbing FOF and the thok barrier?

The tutorial and its 'join linedef' method confused me until I did the big box method. Then I understood the concept.

I read the tutorial. Later, I downloaded SRB2 1.09. Soon after, I downloaded Wadauthor. So to answer, pretty much always.

I under stood the concept whil I was still working on the tutorial map, but I don't think I actually got a handle on applying the concept without horribly screwing my map until, what was it, Lava Cannon Zone?

Sorry, folks, unreleased.
>>
<<

Figured it out after my first level failed, and I actually read the entirety of ST218's tutorial.

I might not be new enough for it to matter, but I was somewhat turned off by the idea of the thok barrier by the WadAuthor tutorial. Then I read on, and found the signifigantly easier manner of creating at very beginning.

Well..I never got the idea of creating it at the beginning. In the beginning, I drew a big box around the completed level, and reset the textures. Then, after looking at AGZ, I saw that thok barriers could be made in segments, and I've been doing that ever since.

I honestly never learned about the thok barrier. I just looked off another map and saw that it had two bordering sectors.

Draykon said:
I might not be new enough for it to matter, but I was somewhat turned off by the idea of the thok barrier by the WadAuthor tutorial. Then I read on, and found the signifigantly easier manner of creating at very beginning.
Same here. Seriously, making the map first, then building the thok barrier around it? That's just silly, even for exemplary purposes. I wound up taking one sector and splitting/joining it to the perimeter of the map (Which, at the time, took ages for me to pull off). Of course, I'm pretty sure it didn't work out right.

Well, I knew about it since I learned to map by corrupting Meadow Match, but I didn't really know what it did until I made a map and it didn't work right.

I think the first map I made where the thok barrier actually worked was Crawla Valley. Of course, I had a very bad grasp of how to WAD for a good few years when I started, since I didn't really understand what the Doom tutorials were explaining at the time and just didn't bother to figure it out, since WadAuthor is good enough at faking it for those who don't know any better =P

I first learned about the thok barrier in 2000. SRB2Xmas 0.96, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back