How to make a cutscene scripted on Lua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tai5_5

Tai, for short.
Can a cutscene be scripted in Lua?
Like- Some Sonic npc starts running here, then Eggman appears...
But can that be done? Also teach me some basics? (If you want to, of course)

Yes, it's totally possible! However it's not easy, and will require you to have a good understanding of Lua programming and SRB2's Lua functions—in other words, it's not something you can learn in a day like SOC cutscenes. If you really want to make Lua cutscenes, I would recommend that you learn to script first, create something simple, and grow from there. It will likely take a while before you are at the level required to make cutscenes, but you will definitely know that you've reached that point once you get there!

Here's a good tutorial for making a custom player ability, which I have always felt is the easiest and most fun kind of first script. Here are some Lua programming basics, which will look confusing at first but will hopefully make sense and increase your knowledge scope after you've made a script or two. Don't be afraid to reference other people's scripts, either! A large number of scripters (including myself) learnt Lua by modifying released scripts and seeing what results they could achieve.

Good luck!

Yes, it's totally possible! However it's not easy, and will require you to have a good understanding of Lua programming and SRB2's Lua functions—in other words, it's not something you can learn in a day like SOC cutscenes. If you really want to make Lua cutscenes, I would recommend that you learn to script first, create something simple, and grow from there. It will likely take a while before you are at the level required to make cutscenes, but you will definitely know that you've reached that point once you get there!

Here's a good tutorial for making a custom player ability, which I have always felt is the easiest and most fun kind of first script. Here are some Lua programming basics, which will look confusing at first but will hopefully make sense and increase your knowledge scope after you've made a script or two. Don't be afraid to reference other people's scripts, either! A large number of scripters (including myself) learnt Lua by modifying released scripts and seeing what results they could achieve.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! ; )
I'll give it a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back