(OUTDATED) Super Bomberman Blast 2 - vB-001 (SRB2 2.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame

WR 102
Merry christmas, folks!​
For those who haven't noticed, I've been idle on the forum for quite some time. I figured this would be a good post to make a return on. Additionally, I've been meaning to get a release candidate out to the public for quite some time now. Surely you can infer from the topic title that this is a modification based off a pre-existing series. Well, it is, and it works pretty well in it's current condition too.

Right, I should get to presenting this thing, shouldn't I?

Super..
1390big.png

... .. 2?
Version: vB-001

Super Bomberman Blast is presently on a indefinite hiatus due to Real Life Issues.

Familiar with the Bomberman series? Good! You'll be able to get a feel for the gameplay immediately. Otherwise if you're unfamiliar with the series, you can read more about it here and get an idea of how gameplay is supposed to work.

You may recall that I had a modification much like this in the 1.09.4 era. However it has taken quite an overhaul since the last release. Don't believe me? Take a look at the comparison below.

All Images are in a 1280x800 resolution, you might experience issues loading some of these images

1.09.4 (version 1.50.4):
srb20008.png

srb20009.png

(Notice how the fire is going INSIDE the wall)
2.0.x (version vB-001):
srb20090.png

srb20095.png

srb20110.png

Loads of differences if you couldn't already tell.
~~~~~

There isn't much to showcase in this initial release, however I bet I can show the various screenshots I took during development.

Various types of Bombs can be planted. This is done by collecting the corresponding panel for that bomb type.

srb20050.png

srb20053.png

srb20051.png

srb20063.png

srb20075.png

The new debris emitted from bombs provide some interesting strategic meanuvers.
srb20042.png

srb20045h.png

These are just Miscellaneous screenshots I've taken during testing. Mainly for amusement.
srb20107.png

sbb20003.png

srb20104.png

Features?:
  • A variety of these features are simply ported from the previous iteration of Super Bomberman Blast 2. Others, however, are not.
  • Bomb planting for the most part.
  • You can move along the Y axis (Up and Down) in 2D maps.
  • Bomb kicking.
  • Several bomb powerups. As mentioned/shown above.
  • Console command toggles for those powerups (Eg. bombup, fireup, powerpanel, rubberpanel, etc.)
  • Scoring for when a player runs into another player's exploded bomb.
  • Particles (Re: Shuffle)
Levels?:
Most of the levels found in the main wad are comprised of a small and large size (Two levels for each type of stage). Both for dealing with a small and large group of players respectively. While I apologize for the lack of variety/diversity to the maps found in the mod, do take into consideration that this is the initial release candidate and is planned to be expanded upon.

Issues, problems, bugs?:

From the various development tests I've done, I haven't seen any problems with this release. However, if you do find anything, please report it. Any information, including what you were doing at the time of a crash (If one were to occur) helps me in finding out the source of the problem.

Well, there's not much else to say. More information is outlined in the BomberREADME.txt file included in this zip. I encourage you to look through it if you want more information. Lets provide those download links now!

(Alternate mirrors for both files provided as attachments)
Download SBB2 vB-001: (1)
一一==三三==一一
Download the Optional Music File (Highly recommended): (1)

Source code available on the SRB2MODS SVN server, etc.

Now it's time I focus on some of my other projects found on the SRB2MODS SVN server..

Attachments

• SBB2 vB-001.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,304
  • SBB2-Music.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 4,079
Last edited:
Probably for fuses or something. Anyway, I might as well test it out. Long time since I've played a decent exe mod.

Edit: First glitch is when you start a single player game it starts you on a wall.

Last edited:
Why are there ring sparkles on top of the bombs?
Probably for fuses or something.
Violo would be correct. I thought it would be a nice little addition, considering all bombs/fireworks in the real world have a fuse that sparkles when lit.

Edit: First glitch is when you start a single player game it starts you on a wall.
Intentional and not a bug. This was mainly for developmental purposes and the fact that the game would crash upon trying to start a level in single player with an error saying "Player 1 start not found!", or something to that extent.

Excellent mod. This brings back the memories of Bomberman on the PSX (It supported multitap, but Bomberman was originally for the NES).

The mod is still great, but I wonder what a Bomberman mod would be like if it had Adventure mode. (Bomberman 64 idea)

Overall, I like this mod.

Oh, I remember this. Didn't play it much, but I remember it. Downloaded for the sake of it, may play some multiplayer, but Bomberman Blast for WiiWare suffices most of the time. (and no, I don't have wi-fi... >_> <_<)

Another glitch, in Snow Bomber Small, when you stand on the ice the camera position changes so you can't see yourself. I think it has something to do with the camera scanner.

...I don't get it. I've never played Bomberman, so I don't know how to win the game. How do you win?

By not dying. It's harder than it sounds, especially because you can get damaged by your own bombs.

By not dying. It's harder than it sounds, especially because you can get damaged by your own bombs.
But uh, after you destroyed all blocks in single player, you still don't seem to win (as in, progress to the next map). Is there any way to do that?

But uh, after you destroyed all blocks in single player, you still don't seem to win (as in, progress to the next map). Is there any way to do that?

...there doesn't appear to be any way, AFAIK. It seems like the mod is just for multiplayer mode at the moment, from what I can see. =S

Another bug: Knuckles can simply break all the blocks without bombs. BUt I liked of this mod. =)

If you really want us to do it without dying, then only give us one life. Seriously. ._.

...there doesn't appear to be any way, AFAIK. It seems like the mod is just for multiplayer mode at the moment, from what I can see. =S
Yeah, I was primarily focused on the multiplayer aspect of gameplay and didn't really give much mind to single player gameplay. I didn't expect it to recieve much attention.

Another bug: Knuckles can simply break all the blocks without bombs. BUt I liked of this mod. =)
Thanks for reporting this. I've been strictly using the Sonic character during development and haven't taken into account of the gameplay of other characters. Not to mention that I completely forgot that Knuckles can destroy blocks by running into them. I'll look into fixing this.

Yay! It's back! Now I only need SRB2Riders and my 1.09.4 favourite mods will be back.

Some things I reccomend doing:
> Fixed camera position, like the old version. It's kind of annoying when you can see all the way up, but only 4 tiles down.
> Options to choose what kind of bombs are allowed. Personally, I dislike the special bombs and prefer using the original powerups only.
> Kick being a powerup? Why is it granted to everyone? D:
> Speed being a powerup? D: The acelleration is nice though so you don't go too far~

Oh, and if you're removing rings on Match mode, might as well remove the ring BOXES too, right?

Just because I haven't been posting on the forum shouldn't imply that this project is necessarily dead already. I've just been preoccupied with other things.

In response to a few people;
> Fixed camera position, like the old version. It's kind of annoying when you can see all the way up, but only 4 tiles down.
I've tried working with this the best I can, I've included a bombcam console variable that works well with a certain added thing type to the map. Think of it as a lookaway camera view map object. This is to be included in the readme as I cannot recall the exact number off the top of my head (At the time of writing this anyway).

Even if you don't add the map object, I find it still looks acceptable. Your map would just have to be aligned with the camera to however you please.

> Options to choose what kind of bombs are allowed. Personally, I dislike the special bombs and prefer using the original powerups only.
You can already do this, there are various commands in the application already that can toggle the various bomb panels. Much like to toggle the frequency of a monitor. I simply forgot to outline them. I'll be sure to outline the commands in the Readme.

I'll list them here anyway just to be fair. You can tinker around with the commands as well.
  • bombup
  • fireup
  • question
  • powerbomb
  • rubberbomb
  • landmine
  • spikebomb
  • remotebomb
You notice that I have included extra bomb type commands. These do nothing until the next release.
> Kick being a powerup? Why is it granted to everyone? D:
Most of the time I have my own reasons for doing things. This is one of them. I can't properly explain why I did this, but I feel it was mainly for the variety in gameplay. Also to avoid yourself being killed in some situations.

> Speed being a powerup? D: The acelleration is nice though so you don't go too far~
My previous iteration of Bomberman Blast had speed panels as powerups. Personally, it was considered a useless powerup to a lot of people, and myself for the matter. Additionally, it looked rather sloppy to see players zipping around the stage at breakneck speeds, where the only hope in killing them would be to either try and trap them or have them run into your bombs. (That seems to be the case now anyway..!)

Oh, and if you're removing rings on Match mode, might as well remove the ring BOXES too, right?
I noticed this too, though I'm lazy and never did put in the initiative to fix it. I'll have to add that on to my todo list. Thanks for pointing that out.

Why is the window so small?
If I knew how to change this, I would. However you should take into consideration people who could be running on pretty old machines that can't support high resolutions. The default 320x200 is a fall back resolution if everything else fails.
Though you can change your default resolution by setting it with the "D" (?) key in the video options menu. In fact, it should say that on-screen.

I suppose that's all for now. Stay tuned..!

Oh, and to keep you guys entertained until vB-002's release..
mineallmine.gif
thebomboflove.gif
koopabomb.gif

These panels still have some work that is needed to be done on them, so don't expect these previews to be the final product. However, I do feel that the second and third panels are going to be most favorable in battles.

Last edited:
The mod is great, but might want to make something like the flicky containers. And fix the bug of the stage select? The mod seems nearly perfect, but it could be better.
*add bomberman as a playable char
*fix the glitch of starting on a wall
*add ring moniters but make them inside of blocks and look like hearts
*fix the glitch of the always running mystery powerup to max out the speed and disable standing
*add some sort of boss
*make the intro more bomberman-friendly
*disable knuxs ablity to break thrugh blocks
*make the first level passable
P.S. is this a beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back