Hay guys, read this! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuffle

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
This isn't a rule or anything, I'm just making a friendly suggestion. First wads are always awful. They generally consist of 1-10 sectors with tons of rings in them. Honestly, nobody wants to play this, so don't release it here.
Anybody else got any input?

But... Um... Some first wads are quite good, I mean I've recently seen many new users within their first week of being here releasing some good wads.
I mean a good chunk are horrible but still.

I totally agree with you Shuffle!

My advise is:
If you have created a map, don't release it just because you are proud you have mastered to create something...
Play threw it one or two times, then play one of the official maps and compare your one to them. It doesn't has to be as good as these, but it will show you how good maps should look like.
And if you fixed those things and tested it again several times without errors, THEN you might release it. :wink:

I totally agree with Shuffle's argument, but most newcomers simply skin the topic's of threads, so i'd suggest you rename this thread so something not as commanding.

Exactly why I never released this:

srb20003av9.png

I pretty much consider it a Joke Wad these days. I can do better if I try.

Jman, I would definately consider "Way to Bridge" a first level that isn't getting any better. Shucks, for all I know, Green Valley Zone isn't faring too well either.

And I'll Begin, is there a thok barrier in there?

I would suggest to enter it into a contest where it will get played through and judged, so that you can learn.

Actually, I would say that you shouldn't release any of your creations until you are ready to accept criticism. I see alot of people that say "don't be so harsh its my first level", but without being a little harsh, you can't really get some good points across. All creations should at least follow the basic rules (Maps should have thok-barriers, SOCs should be more than simple timer-mods, etc.). If you can't at least do these things, then you aren't ready to release your creations to the public. People are going to be harsh in their criticism because it is required to let the wadder know what they are doing wrong. If no one tells the wadder what they are doing wrong, they will never improve. However, the wadder must also be willing to accept some of this criticism, instead of just ignoring it. Ingoring criticism is the same as not receiving any; you can't get better unless you use it.

So, back to the main point, don't release wads until you've got a good understanding of the basics and are ready to accept and use criticism to improve your future wads.

Well i'd really rather practise a few times before I release it. I'd suggest that if your making your first map don't release it until you've made a few maps for practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back