SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 01-16-2018   #5961
Wumbo
Non-anime profile picture

Default A Whole Lot of Random Ideas!

I have several big ideas to make SRB2 better. This is kind of a big one, but anyways, here it goes:
  1. One thing this game lacks is a true story. The one we have is old and extremely outdated, so I edited the story shown on the website a little bit:
    Spoiler: Recreated Story
    After Eggman was defeated back in the first game, he decides to take more time to reconsider his strategy, hiding away in an underground base for three months. All Eggman really had to show for this delay was a reduced robot army and a special battleship he built called the ‘Eggship’. He didn’t stand a chance against Sonic and his friends. Eggman’s space-radar bleeped as the Black Rock came within its range. Eggman thought nothing of it at first, until he realised that he had a new battlestation! From there he could attack the world, and launch robot armies without the fear of anyone retaliating against such a huge weapon. And with the Chaos Emeralds, the world would be begging before his knees to end the suffering and let him rule the planet. It was a perfect plan!

Eggman decided to quickly increase the amount of robots he was producing. World domination was within his grasp at last! He launched his battleship a week later, full of robots to take temporary control of zones until he’d finished putting the final touches to his work on the Black Rock. They were also instructed to return any Chaos Emeralds they might find.

His first target: Greenflower City.

Sonic was enjoying his long overdue vacation. Without Eggman around, he and everyone else could relax whenever they wanted. Little did he know that today was going to be the end of it. Hearing Tails’ voice in the distance, Sonic rolled his eyes. Up in the clouds, something caught his eye. It was probably a stray beach ball, thrown out into the sea. No doubt Tails wanted him to recover it. Tails arrived, and told him that there were robots attacking the surrounding zones. Before Tails could finish, the duo was approached by two small robots. They were simple Crawla robots, destroyed with minimal effort. Sonic looked up at the sky and to his horror, saw an enormous battleship, with its guns pointing at the Greenflower City. He had been tricked into a diversion! Without wasting time, Sonic rushed up to the Eggship, even though there was nothing he could really do.

But it was too late. In a blinding flash, the Greenflower City was a pile of ash and rubble. Nothing was left standing of the once-beautiful resort. Laughing at Sonic, Eggman revealed his plan to control the Black Rock and turn it into an unstoppable force of destruction. Then he flew off, leaving Sonic standing dead in his tracks.

However, unlike last time, he would not be alone in the fight. Tails was willing to help, and Knuckles had also offered his assistance, realising that the Master Emerald would also be in danger.

I added a few small parts, and edited others so they made more sense. One change I made was changing the name of Eggman's battleship, which was simply named "Doomship" to "Eggship" to make it align with the concept zone, Grand Eggship Zone (I'll be going into that a bit further into this). If you're still wondering about Greenflower City, I'll be getting to that, too.

2. The game also lacks an actual ending. Right now, when you complete the game, it skips right to the credits with no cutscene whatsoever. And after the credits are done, there's a black screen showing you how many emeralds you had, along with "Try Again" if you didn't get all of them, the things you unlocked, and stuff like that. None of it's really interesting, though. I think there should be good and bad ending cutscenes, kind of like Sonic CD. This is what I thought of:

Good Ending (All Emeralds): Your character approaches the ruins of Greenflower City. Realizing that the Chaos Emeralds may be able to restore the city, they bring them out. The Chaos Emeralds start glowing, and suddenly, Greenflower City returns to normal! The trio celebrates their victory and returns to their vacation. Until next time...

Bad Ending (0-6 Emeralds): Your character approaches the ruins of Greenflower City. The remaining Chaos Emeralds are still in the hands of Dr. Eggman, and though he probably won't attack again for a while, there's nothing that can be done to restore the city. Angry at themself for not getting enough Chaos Emeralds, they start running back into the wilderness, where Eggman's robots still remain.

If you're still wondering about Greenflower City, I'll be getting to that in my next idea, don't worry.

3. In the finished game, these are my thoughts for the final level lineup:
    ~Main Levels (Does Secret, Special, Super, or Hyper Levels)~
    Greenflower Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3)
    Techno Hill Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3)
    Deep Sea Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3; Secret exit in Act 1 allows for access to Pipe Towers Zone; Otherwise, go to Castle Eggman Zone)
    Castle Eggman Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3)
    Arid Canyon Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3)
    Red Volcano Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3; Hidden passage in Act 2 allows for access to Blue Mountain Zone; Otherwise, go to Egg Rock Zone)
    Egg Rock Zone (Acts 1, 2, 3)
    Dark City Zone (Acts 1, 2)
    Grand Eggship Zone (Final Boss; Upon completing with all Chaos Emeralds, Sweet Tooth and Greenflower City are unlocked)
    ~Secret or Special Levels (Does not include Super or Hyper Levels)~
    Pipe Towers Zone (One-Act Level; Upon finishing, go to Castle Eggman Zone)
    Blue Mountain Zone (One-Act Level; Upon finishing, go to Egg Rock Zone)
    Greenflower City Zone (Hangout Level; Unlocked after beating game with all emeralds with any character)
    ~Super Levels (Accessible from save file's Level Select after beating game with all Chaos Emeralds)~
    Sweet Tooth Zone (Super Level 1)
    Super Level 2
    Super Level 3
    Aerial Garden Zone (Hyper Level 1)
    Azure Temple Zone (Hyper Level 2)
    Hyper Level 3
    ~(Insert regular unlockable levels to be added in the future here)~
    With this level line up, SRB2's amount of levels will jump up to (at least) 33. You're probably wondering about some of these changes, so I'll explain them. Pipe Towers will become a secret level that can be accessed by finding a Warp Pipe hidden in Deep Sea Zone Act 1. Blue Mountain, a concept level originally teased in 2.0 and meant to be a second act to Red Volcano, will become another secret level that can be accessed by finding a secret passage in Red Volcano Act 2. Egg Rock's boss will be Metal Sonic (and will include the race). Two acts of Dark City Zone, currently a concept level, will be added, and upon completion, a battle with Brak Eggman on Grand Eggship, yet another current concept level.

When beating the game with all Chaos Emeralds, Greenflower City will be unlocked. Greenflower City would be a large, eco-friendly-looking city inhabited by animals with lots of things to do and lots of emblems to collect (in a similar fashion to Super Mario Odyssey), and could serve as a hangout level for servers, as there is no goal, and you can leave anywhere, anytime.

Also, if you're wondering what the heck Sweet Tooth Zone is, it's going to be the first Super Level, according to the SRB2 Wiki.

4. Some of the MIDIs in this game really need some updating. I said this in an earlier post on this thread, but I guess this is the right time to say it again. The Techno Hill Zone Act 1 MIDI is still at the same pitch as Act 2, and the Credits theme is completely different. About the first MIDI I brought up, I kinda, uh, downloaded the free trial of a MIDI pitch-changing program that wouldn't let me download the file unless I got the full version, and I kinda stole the MIDI file for THZ1 at the correct pitch out of a lingering temporary folder. Anyways, here it is, I guess. Also, I believe that the toggles for MIDI and digital music should be one switchable option, because it's a bit weird the other way.

5. I've thought of some helpful changes to make certain aspects about online servers a bit easier to handle. First off, I think that by default, the set room when searching for servers should be All, just so people don't have to always go change the room when searching for a good server to join. Also, I believe that server files for different servers should be put into their own folders (separated by IP), and when leaving a server, there should be an option to delete the folder containing the server files so it doesn't waste space and so you don't have to manually delete it yourself (obviously, this wouldn't apply to the owner of the server). Of course, you'd have to restart the game to remove the files from the game itself.

6. I think that when Tails flies, you should only have to hold a button down so you won't have to mash it repeatedly (as demonstrated by this Lua script. I just think that'll make things easier. Maybe it would work as a toggleable option, though.
That's all I can think of for now. I hope you like my ideas!
Old 01-17-2018   #5962
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

1. I don't understand what you're doing here? That just seems like the intro that's already there except a bit more verbose. What makes it a "true story" when compared to what's already there?
  2. It's not like the lack of an ending is intended, it's just because the game isn't finished yet and I imagine they want to get the actual levels done first. I do like your idea for the good ending though, it's a nice throwback to Sonic 1.
  3. why is eggrock placed before dark city

I don't understand the point of this either. The plan they're following already lands them at 33 maps (without counting stuff like ERCZ and secrets like Pipe Towers), so...
I don't agree at all with changing Tails' flight, even as an option. The way it works right now has a lot more going on than just "mash jump to fly", and all of that would have to be changed to preserve balance. Wasted effort when, in my opinion, flight works perfectly as it is now.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #5963
ThunderFlame

Dare I say it, I actually prefer mashing over holding because it makes controlling the flight easier in my experience. It’s not that bad and you really don’t need to mash. You can wait about a half second between presses.
Old 01-17-2018   #5964
Elyos03

At least there are several good ideas, like an explorable Greenflower City. Without even needing, SRB2 definitely deserves such a rewarding unlockable open world map besides an abusive power to ease your way when all the Chaos Emeralds are obtained. Besides, SRB2 is gonna have 2 decades of existance so i guess something big might be coming. (I know, most of you already know this including myself, but i'm not sure if some people didn't know about the fact that the Fan-Game is months older than SA1, which obviously was released barely 1 year before the international release, alongside with the Dreamcast.)

Also, Happy Early 4th Birthday 2.1, i guess.

Last edited by Elyos03; 01-17-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Elyos03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #5965
Wumbo

I knew there would be flaws with me ideas. Maybe I should've just kept Greenflower City and a few other smaller things. Well, thanks for the quick feedback!
Old 01-17-2018   #5966
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumbo View Post
I knew there would be flaws with me ideas. Maybe I should've just kept Greenflower City and a few other smaller things. Well, thanks for the quick feedback!
It's still pretty awesome!
Would the ending sequence be similar to that of Sonic 1? (where Sonic/Tails/Knuckles would run through the zone to an area, then depending on if you've got the Emeralds or not (little emerald animation + reaction) Sonic/Tails/Knuckles will do the standard freeze-pose to end the game)
Old 01-17-2018   #5967
Wumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKnight9000 View Post
It's still pretty awesome!
Would the ending sequence be similar to that of Sonic 1? (where Sonic/Tails/Knuckles would run through the zone to an area, then depending on if you've got the Emeralds or not (little emerald animation + reaction) Sonic/Tails/Knuckles will do the standard freeze-pose to end the game)
I guess so. I was thinking of something along the lines of that.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5968
Petit The Hedge
2020 News: -SRB2.2 is out!-

Sorry if my suggestions were bad, i just thought of gameplay, not everything, that's why that was bad, although the drop dash being a mid-air X button ability being just a example, now thinking better, it's a bad one.

I also thought of making the FPS Counter have a higher frame limit, not that the current one is bad, but i think that 35 is a rather odd maximum for FPS limit,(btw that was not supposed to be a pun) so i think that making the limit be 50 FPS would be better, and also fit more with the nowadays games.I thought of holding C would be a sonic-only ability, the water running, i think that would be something helpful in places like GFZ 2 or DSZ 1/2, or even in CEZ 2, it's something simple, but useful. I forgot to say it only works once runspeed is achieved.

Last edited by Petit The Hedge; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:23 PM.
Petit The Hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5969
Rob
Administrator

Our FPS limit is tied into the gamelogic. It's not arbitrary.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5970
Petit The Hedge

Understandable, what about the rest?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5971
Yacker
Metallic

A flag to make objects ignore slope physics, like the no physics flag on slopes, except on a per-object basis rather than a per-slope basis
Yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5972
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit The Hedge View Post
Understandable, what about the rest?
Water running isn't necessary for Sonic. It doesn't add much to the game outside of water areas, and within water areas he often needs to go underwater anyway (or just be somewhere else apart from the water's surface?). I don't think the classic games even really gave him that "ability" apart from a brief moment or two in Hydrocity Zone? Could possibly be wrong though, I have no idea.

Apart from anything else, giving Sonic water running would also break some of the existing level design that assumes the fact he can't do that normally. (Unless we remake it of course, but you know ...we're already in the process of remaking a bunch of our levels for other reasons, like slopes)

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5973
Petit The Hedge

Oh, okay then. When i have better thought of ideas i pop up here again.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5974
Rapidgame7
nil

Is there any chance that we could be given the ability to make a custom colormap, since we can't edit the colormap userdata?
The ones we can use for patches are hardcoded to remap the black/dark blue index to white, or remap all indexes to white, or grab specific greens and change them to a color. It would be cool if you could input which indexes are remapped to another color.

On top of that, since bosses can remap their colors when being given MF2_FRET, how about allowing Lua to be able to set the colormap used by an object?

EDIT: I just read a reply made earlier in this thread detailing why this is not feasible. Oh well.
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH

Last edited by Rapidgame7; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:57 AM. Reason: oh
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5975
Tokyo

Is it possible to make Knuckles reflect projectiles while moving like in Sonic 3?
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5976
Ritz
cornstar

Have Knuckles retain his inertia when a wall scroller pushes him off a wall. I'd also advise removing his automatic forward push when climbing up and over a ledge- the player's going to be holding forward anyway if vaulting up is their intent, but neutral air has some practical applications too. I wanted to stack some wall conveyor FOFs vertically and he's just bumping his head on the bottom of the next block.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5977
Rapidgame7
nil

It would be amazing if the ShouldDamage/MobjDamage/MobjDeath hooks had a fifth argument for the type of damage, as right now it is quite complicated when someone is trying to get whether the object/player died because of being crushed, by falling on a pit, being killed by instant death sectors, by drowning in water/space, hit by a laser and similar stuff, essentially all kinds of damage that come from the environment rather than by an object.
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5978
Sryder13
'That brit'
Judge

I know enemies give you score already but add enemies destroyed as a topic to competition.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5979
gregory_house
¡ʇxǝʇ pǝddᴉlɟ ɹɐoɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ʍoN

Please, PLEASE do something to fix the problem with people forgetting that they set allowjoin to 'off'. I know it's only their own fault, but it's really really common and without any indication that joins are disabled anywhere these servers usually end up not being accessible anymore.
Maybe something really non-intrusive, I don't know, a line of text indicating that it is on, on the bottom of the TAB key HUD screen? Could also be a great place to have a "X players out of Y slots" line, too.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5980
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Why not have the DSZ Seaweed sprites animate or otherwise have a new single frame sprite that's not from when they were suppose to animate.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote