• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

It's definitely not one of those frames that is appreciated by a screenshot. It looks better in animation..

iRVByrEETgpUA.gif

IMO, the spines should move around a bit more, they are too static right now.

Also, if this gets released as a stand-alone character like Chuckles was, will there be new drawings for things like the title screen, the Sonic pictures in the credits and such?

Well what I'm guessing is gonna happen, considering this is merely an improved Sonic that uses all the same moves at the default one, is that it'll be released as a WAD and then included in the next SRB2 build when it comes out. That is what happened with Chux/Knux afterall.

Anyway, yeah - those quills need to move a little more. Not by much, just a little bit.

will there be new drawings for things like the title screen, the Sonic pictures in the credits and such?

Whoa there, no promises from me regarding that. Never really had a problem with the credits artworks. I only did those for Knuckles due to the major design difference he had.

Although to be honest, I would love to see a new title screen.

At first I thought that the running would use the xtreme styled sprites, but then I saw the side run frame and the full run animation.
The full run looks almost a bit like a 3d sprite, while still keeping the pixel art sprite style, no idea how you can have 2 different styles in 1 but it's awesome.(How long do you work on a sprite frame ?)

Your new avatar made my day.

BTW, how is Sonic going? Is he going to be released soon? (I am too hyped for it, I just wanna know.)

And I just LOVE that animation for the run. Keep up the awesome work mate!

This Sonic is looking better and better the more I see of him. You've certainly been busy, MotorRoach.

all these sprites look awesome, just make sure the character you use them on has some sort of gimmick that doesn't make him a cardboard cutout, wake me when someone makes an actual character zzzzzzzz...

...You know this is going to be the new sprites for SRB2's own Sonic, right? Not a clone of Sonic?

IMO, the running sprite look like he is waddling, like a duck. Maybe its due to the view of his shoes, how we can see them both on the left and right sides. I mean, they do look good, but it looks like a duck.

IMO, the spines should move around a bit more, they are too static right now.

Also, if this gets released as a stand-alone character like Chuckles was, will there be new drawings for things like the title screen, the Sonic pictures in the credits and such?

I'd say the problem is more that the shoes, when in front of sonic (so you see the red tops), seem WIDER than when behind him (the gray bottoms).

Also, Would it be possible to elevate the middle spine? It seems out of place, not being affected by wind.

I was skeptical about Sonic's new run animation like how I was with Chuckles' running animation back in the day. Now Sonic's new run animation has grown on me...like Chuckles' running animation did when 2.1 was released.

I'm a bit skeptical of Sonic's new back run frames... they seem a bit 90s CGI-ish to me, and out of place next to basically every other animation.

But then, maybe it'll grow on me, I dunno.

The running frames actually remind me more of the hedgehog's Sonic CD special stage sprites than anything else.

You actually got it right, Stormer. The main reference were the Sonic CD Special Stage sprites.

Based on the criticism and feedback given on the back running animation, I'm intending to update it to fix it and improve it a little more. That just won't be the case right now because I'm trying to focus some more on a commission of mine.

I actually didn't intend to progress on Sonic until much later on, what inspired me to get back to him was the Non-Official Non-Level Design Contest announcement, though I actually wanted to add much more to Sonic than just the default sprites. Based on my time left, I doubt I'll be able to add it all to him in time, and releasing as he is right now would feel far too incomplete in my opinion. So in short, I'm doubting I'll be releasing him the following month.

MotorRoach, we NEED this Sonic. I know I sound like I am rushing you, but I personally don't care that Sonic doesn't have any new abilities. Chuckles didn't have special abilities. And he was still awesome (And he still is!)!

Also, what could you add him that hasn't been added before?

If you want to make a completly new idea for an ability we never seen before; Awesome. But seriously, to reflect the classic games, what can be added that hasn't been added before?

Anyways, I REALLY love this Sonic (I am pretty sure I am not alone with this.) and I would love him to be released as soon as it is finished.

This is an just a stupid advice, from a silly-thinking person. Take it or ignore it.
Never give up on this Sonic please.

Well there are some frames left including Super Sonic frames and the Super Sonic rotations for NiGHTS... It's gonna take a while for this Sonic to get out lol.

I'm not giving up on this Sonic, I'm just going to take a little longer than I thought I would. I don't see any real NEED for Sonic to be released this month just because people are hyped over it.

Not to mention I didn't even talk about what I wanted to give him, and I'm not going to talk about it either, as I want it to be private for now. Don't tell me it just "doesn't matters" or that "it's good enough" as you don't even know what I had intended, and by following your logic, I could just have released Chuckles in the past Christmas, thus making him lack things such as the new artworks I drew for him. So in short, no, I'm not going to release Sonic just with the default sprites changed. I want him to be released only when I feel it's ready, not when other people feel it's good enough.

Besides, I wasn't even supposed to be working on him right now. It was even a wonder that I could make this much progress on him recently without upsetting any of my commissioners. I'm already way too busy right now.

Whoa there, no promises from me regarding that. Never really had a problem with the credits artworks. I only did those for Knuckles due to the major design difference he had.

Although to be honest, I would love to see a new title screen.

I did some work on a new title screen I never finished.
6ayRZN3.png

aSDtZHc.png

XrisJKA.png

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back