MP3 or OGG?

• Mp3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OGG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I am wondering when there is gonna be a SA and SA2 music set! Hehe, well done. But does this replace the mystic realm level music as well? And is this all OGG?

No, Its mp3 but I can ask Mystic for permission to make a Mystic Realm one.

EDIT: Im actually working on a Sonic Riders Music Set too. ^_^

Do you guys want OGG Quality or Good Mp3 Quality?

I also finished the Sonic Riders Music set! Let me test it.

winner8ex.jpg

I think we have a winner...

GCFreak said:
OGG is nearly the same quality as MP3 with it being smaller.

That's the reason I voted for OGG! (Look mat the new results. I'm the 4th voter!) All the music in my game are OGG. I had to convert the original MP3 to OGG because my game was going to be more than 75MB! But since my game wasn't done, and everyone had to test it, I deleted all the extra music and put in only the music that is needed for the certain levels. You could save lots of space just by converting the MP3 to OGG, that is if you're putting them in a wad file.
But don't delete the original MP3!

I don't really see the point in this...

Anyway. Ogg can have the same quality as mp3 at a lower file size, making it better to use.

OGG compresses better than MP3. It can compress to a smaller size than MP3 files but still sound the same. And MP3 has licensing issues. If you were to sell anything using the MP3 format, you would have to pay royalty fees. However, OGG Vorbis is royalty-free. It's pretty obvious that OGG Vorbis is the better choice.

Oh, and the poll results have OGG in the lead now.

Uh, is there even a REASON to use MP3? OGG is much smaller and sounds exactly the same. :/

Well, converting from MP3 to OGG is converting from a lossy format to a lossy format, but if you have the core WAV, there isn't a reason to encode in MP3 anymore. Personally, I'm not about to convert all my MP3s, but I use OGG when I encode stuff.

Pertaining to music (and even a bona fide music pack like this), I don't think that sound quality really matters in games. That's why I don't think converting from MP3 to OGG, lossy format to other lossy format, is much of a big loss as far as sound quality goes. The advantages to using OGG is obtaining similar quality for a smaller filesize.

Mystic said:
there isn't a reason to encode in MP3 anymore.

Mystic, that's the first time I've ever heard you say something stupid!

MP3 is widely accepted as the format for music with the end user. For SRB2, OGG might work, sure. And for games, it makes sense.

But for the average end user, OGG is a pain in the ass.

It's called an MP3 player, man. Every MP3 player plays them-find a decently-priced, well-selling MP3 player that plays OGG and then we'll talk. =P

I don't think that sound quality really matters in games.

That hurts. Bad.

Some of us really care, and you hurt those who do by leaving it in something awful like MP3 128k... at least have the decency to do 192...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back