SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (2.0.X)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2010   #821
AndyMan123
That Van Halen Guy
 
AndyMan123's Avatar
Default

Coolness. The textures seem very, well, varied, and hopefully that will work out to create something completely epic. Judging by the screenshots, I'd say it probably will.
__________________
It's a freakin' signature!
__________________
That's all there is...
AndyMan123 is offline  
Old 06-20-2010   #822
MechaS3K
NEVAR FORGET
 
MechaS3K's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srb2kirbyo View Post
Heh funny, too bad it has nothing to do with swords.
Uh, Samus' Face Zone(can't remember the real name right now) had nothing to do with Metroid. So that's a bit of a moot point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisuun View Post
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the manliest show ever made.
DECORATE is the language of people who don't know how to program.
MechaS3K is offline  
Old 06-20-2010   #823
Spherallic
a.k.a. sphere
Developer
 
Spherallic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor300 View Post
Well, seeing as I can't finish this map in time for the upcoming contest due to personal matters (Horrid Grades), I shall give you some screenshots of yet another WIP map that I am making for CTF, Climate Chaos Zone.

Spoiler: CCZ images









EDIT: WTF Glitch in 3rd screenshot. I'll need to fix the FOF problems that i've been having there. I'll probably redo that entire section.
EDIT to EDIT: Purple water in Screen 3, I think it's a colormap problem, or it's just the F-ed up FOFs.
I'll give some comments per picture.

Screenshot 1: Those yellow textures should be used for minor details, much like the differently-colored versions of it. They should not be the main texture for almost everything.

Screenshot 2: Wow, this looks ugly. Why is the same Egg Rock texture used for almost everything? And there is a flat that matches the Eggman boxes better, ALTBOX or something (IIRC). The floor texture also looks quite ugly.

Screenshot 3: See comments on previous screenshot for the center path. As for the ice part, the textures are slightly better, but used in a boring way. The same goes for the forest part, decent texture choice but boring usage. The outer walls especially look ugly. And the water in the forest part should probably have a stronger blue colormap.

Screenshot 4: Well, this is even worse than screenshot 2. Desperately needs more detail, and generally the comments on screenshot 2 apply to this.

Screenshot 5: See screenshot 2's comments, although I kinda like the forest gateway. The grass edge doesn't fit though, use WEEDWALL.

Screenshot 6: Again, use WEEDWALL for the grass edges, and make the colormap a bit stronger. Otherwise, this looks quite good, aside from the DSZ texture that clashes with the other textures.

Screenshot 7: This looks quite good too, but the glass looks a bit out of place. The ceiling is just one flat, make it have some openings to the outside sky or something. Maybe some giant trees would help with the scenery?

I also noticed that the death pit does not have (half-)light block shading, now it just looks like a black floor. Also, is the stage correctly balanced in terms of symmetry and layout?
And one final question: Will you put only one of each weapon panel this time on each side of the map?
__________________
Quote:
<D00D64> Sphere CANNOT decorate
Spherallic is offline  
Old 06-20-2010   #824
Scizor300
footure semen
 
Scizor300's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherallic View Post
I'll give some comments per picture.

Screenshot 1: Those yellow textures should be used for minor details, much like the differently-colored versions of it. They should not be the main texture for almost everything.

Screenshot 2: Wow, this looks ugly. Why is the same Egg Rock texture used for almost everything? And there is a flat that matches the Eggman boxes better, ALTBOX or something (IIRC). The floor texture also looks quite ugly.

Screenshot 3: See comments on previous screenshot for the center path. As for the ice part, the textures are slightly better, but used in a boring way. The same goes for the forest part, decent texture choice but boring usage. The outer walls especially look ugly. And the water in the forest part should probably have a stronger blue colormap.

Screenshot 4: Well, this is even worse than screenshot 2. Desperately needs more detail, and generally the comments on screenshot 2 apply to this.

Screenshot 5: See screenshot 2's comments, although I kinda like the forest gateway. The grass edge doesn't fit though, use WEEDWALL.

Screenshot 6: Again, use WEEDWALL for the grass edges, and make the colormap a bit stronger. Otherwise, this looks quite good, aside from the DSZ texture that clashes with the other textures.

Screenshot 7: This looks quite good too, but the glass looks a bit out of place. The ceiling is just one flat, make it have some openings to the outside sky or something. Maybe some giant trees would help with the scenery?

I also noticed that the death pit does not have (half-)light block shading, now it just looks like a black floor. Also, is the stage correctly balanced in terms of symmetry and layout?
And one final question: Will you put only one of each weapon panel this time on each side of the map?
1: Okay, I should be able to find a better texture for that.

2: Tried ALTBOX, I don't think it's registered to the TEXTURE1/PNAMES, but I'll try again. As for the floor texture, do you have any suggestions?

3: I'll get to work on the colormap issue, but do you have any suggestions for the outer wall texture?

4: Yeah, i'm ditching the ERZ texture for something else that would look better. Suggestions?

5: WEEDWALL, got it.

6: I'll replace the DSZ texture with something else when I get around to it.

7: Yeah, i'm probably going to end up changing the high platforms into trees and cover most of the sky in a canopy, along with some platforms extending out of the leaves.

Lastly: I haven't put in the half-light blocks yet, but yes, it's going to be a mainly symmetrical CTF map, with the exception of the structure of the opposing sides, since ice texures wouldn't look good on the red side's design. I will try to make it as balanced as possible, and yes, I will not go overboard with the panel placement this time.
__________________
Quote:
* You were kicked from #SRB2Fun by Rob (You know what? Go fuck yourself.)

<+Scizor300> i got kicked from #srb2fun from enraging rob with terrible christmas songs
<+Scizor300> my life is complete
sciz 4 stjr: i'm gonna make america cool again
Scizor300 is offline  
Old 06-20-2010   #825
Spherallic
a.k.a. sphere
Developer
 
Spherallic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor300 View Post
1: Okay, I should be able to find a better texture for that.

2: Tried ALTBOX, I don't think it's registered to the TEXTURE1/PNAMES, but I'll try again. As for the floor texture, do you have any suggestions?

3: I'll get to work on the colormap issue, but do you have any suggestions for the outer wall texture?

4: Yeah, i'm ditching the ERZ texture for something else that would look better. Suggestions?

5: WEEDWALL, got it.

6: I'll replace the DSZ texture with something else when I get around to it.

7: Yeah, i'm probably going to end up changing the high platforms into trees and cover most of the sky in a canopy, along with some platforms extending out of the leaves.

Lastly: I haven't put in the half-light blocks yet, but yes, it's going to be a mainly symmetrical CTF map, with the exception of the structure of the opposing sides, since ice texures wouldn't look good on the red side's design. I will try to make it as balanced as possible, and yes, I will not go overboard with the panel placement this time.
2: Maybe ERZGRYF5?

3: It's not the textures that make it look ugly, but the fact that it's just one huge wall with one texture. The current textures are good, but for variation, you could make the outer walls more jagged/curved. As in, not make it one big flat wall.

4: Well, it's not that I dislike the texture (I used to, funnily enough), but it's just the fact that it's basically the only texture. Maybe you could add some pipes to the ceiling and the walls to make it look less boring?

As for the other things, glad to hear you'll fix these issues. :D
__________________
Quote:
<D00D64> Sphere CANNOT decorate
Spherallic is offline  
Old 06-22-2010   #826
BlueZero4
 
BlueZero4's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Classic Sonic never teleported the player, instead using gimmicky lifts, zoom tubes, or the sky sanctuary beam teleport devices that let the player see how they move around the stage.
Personally, I consider zoom tubes worse than teleports because they make the player wait and do nothing for a few seconds (minimum). Teleports are instant.
__________________
[scr_bz4pack.wad] I get an email whenever you PM me, if you ever want to say hi.
BlueZero4 is offline  
Old 06-23-2010   #827
AndyMan123
That Van Halen Guy
 
AndyMan123's Avatar
Default

I beg to differ. I'd like to have a short zoom tube take me from an intense platforming section to a less difficult area so as to have a break, then eventually the difficulty would rise and fall and rise intensely, and then the level would end.
Also, I think if somebody made a level that was kind of a "teleporter puzzle" or something, I would scream in agony. I hate levels like that, they take forever.
__________________
It's a freakin' signature!
__________________
That's all there is...
AndyMan123 is offline  
Old 06-23-2010   #828
Srb2kirbyo
Goes by Kirboy in netgames
 
Srb2kirbyo's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaS3K View Post
Uh, Samus' Face Zone(can't remember the real name right now) had nothing to do with Metroid. So that's a bit of a moot point.
It was called Samus' Face Zone because a cave looked like Samus' helmet visor. Yet Skyward Sword for "I Don't Know Zone" has nothing (well so far) to do with swords. Anyway Skyward Sword as a level name equals zero creativity!
:<

Quote:
Mesosphere Heights
I agree
__________________
Code:
[Sp47]you know what would be cool,
[Sp47]if they made mobile devices that didn't lag.
[Lumo]my ipod is flawle-
-----
[Lumo] Sorry ipod froze there.
Srb2kirbyo is offline  
Old 06-25-2010   #829
Zap610
 
Zap610's Avatar
Default

Welp I changed my mind, I will make the deadline but it's gonna be a circuit map. That being said, is it okay to add enemies to a circuit map if they are only used for decorations?
Zap610 is offline  
Old 06-25-2010   #830
MechaS3K
NEVAR FORGET
 
MechaS3K's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srb2kirbyo View Post
It was called Samus' Face Zone because a cave looked like Samus' helmet visor.
Well, "I Don't Know Zone" has a beacon-thing that looks like a sword about as much as said cave looked like Samus' visor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisuun View Post
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the manliest show ever made.
DECORATE is the language of people who don't know how to program.
MechaS3K is offline  
Old 06-26-2010   #831
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap610 View Post
Welp I changed my mind, I will make the deadline but it's gonna be a circuit map. That being said, is it okay to add enemies to a circuit map if they are only used for decorations?
Sure, as long as the player cannot touch them.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 06-27-2010   #832
Spherallic
a.k.a. sphere
Developer
 
Spherallic's Avatar
Default

Okay, Diamond Blizzard (for Match) has just been submitted. Good luck to all entrants, and now I'm hoping I get this other map finished in time :<

Spoiler: Diamond Blizzard Screenshots




__________________
Quote:
<D00D64> Sphere CANNOT decorate
Spherallic is offline  
Old 06-28-2010   #833
A Cat
Permanently Banned
Default


Nice?
A Cat is offline  
Old 06-28-2010   #834
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan
 
fickleheart's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherallic View Post
Alright, guys, we can all go home. :(

Also:


/me needs practice on his visuals
__________________
OK Google, define "hubris".

Last edited by fickleheart; 06-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
fickleheart is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #835
A Cat
Permanently Banned
Default

Good luck to every one. Who is in it so far?
A Cat is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #836
OMGWEEGEE2
The Sonic Fan
 
OMGWEEGEE2's Avatar
Default

Skyward Sword Reminds me of the new Legend Of Zelda Game. Is it based off of it?
__________________
MMM WADS!
OMGWEEGEE2 is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #837
FuriousFox
AKA FuriousFox
Developer
 
FuriousFox's Avatar
Default

Just a reminder: the contest submission period ends at 7PM Eastern US time today. That's 5 and a half hours from now.
FuriousFox is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #838
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

FuriousFox, you labelled Wellspring Keep as my map. It's actually a collab between Cinefast and me, and I'm quite sure I mentioned that in the topic for the level.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #839
FuriousFox
AKA FuriousFox
Developer
 
FuriousFox's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
FuriousFox, you labelled Wellspring Keep as my map. It's actually a collab between Cinefast and me, and I'm quite sure I mentioned that in the topic for the level.
Yeah, I forgot to add collaborators for all maps. It should be fixed now. Just let me know if I forgot anyone else.
FuriousFox is offline  
Old 06-30-2010   #840
A Cat
Permanently Banned
Default

When will the files start being merjed/put in folders?

Also a little project for the oldc coming september/october.


Last edited by A Cat; 06-30-2010 at 08:04 PM.
A Cat is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OpenGL Discussion Topic frozenLake SRB2 Discussion 17 06-29-2010 11:28 AM
Osu! Discussion Latius General Discussion 11 01-03-2010 10:55 PM
Stuff to put in SRB2ME (DISCUSSION TOPIC) SRB2-Playah SRB2 Forum Archives 772 07-01-2009 06:04 AM
Castlevania Discussion Lance88 Video Games 3 02-03-2009 07:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.