[Open Assets] [SRB2 Riders] Planet Raceway (k_planetr-v1.2.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz-T

Big money
Kart Krew™️
Well I didn't think I'd ever have the guts to post my first level wad on the MB, but...Yeah.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy cruising through this race level of mine, Planet Raceway!

Map number = MAPCS.

Point out any issues/glitches that you come across, while playing this level. Suggestions are welcome too.

Attachments

• srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 618
  • srb20030.png
    srb20030.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 475
  • k_PlanetR-v1.2.rar
    156.1 KB · Views: 462
  • srb20053.png
    srb20053.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 413
  • srb20054.png
    srb20054.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Just by the screenshots, I can tell it's not that bad, it lacks a lot of detail though, however it seems you've got the layout dead-on. Nice work! You should add in some more detail and effects as well, to make it more appealing to those who drive through it, so that it's not always a bland drive. You're doing great so far!

I remember beta testing this map on the server. Heck, I even remember the antics we got up to before the testing.

Version 1.1 is now available.

Changes include:
*Some altered textures
*Fixed a few graphical errors
*Added some decoration in the lava area
*A bit more detail in certain areas
*Other stuff

Also, 1 bug that concern the level in general got fixed:
-A part after the 3rd cp,if you has got a star/mega mushroom,you could go out the Thok Barrier.FIX'D,and... well fixed.
That is the only bug i could see/remember.

The level could use a bit of aesthetic work. Particularly in the lava segments; the textures all blend together and it turns into a gameplay problem, whereas it's not as big of a deal anywhere else. That barrier after the third checkpoint that seperates the two halves of the course should probably taper in the front, rather than being a square blockade like that. (Describing that in words is really hard; I might have to draw a picture to demonstrate.)

Also, get rid of that teleporter, however you have to do it; those are never good in a kart map, considering how easy it is to lay a banana/fake box right in front of the destination and create an unavoidable trap. As it stands now, though, it's not bad; just not good.

The level could use a bit of aesthetic work. Particularly in the lava segments; the textures all blend together and it turns into a gameplay problem, whereas it's not as big of a deal anywhere else.

Yeah, I never had the knowledge for what textures and flats go well and which ones blend too much and I guess it shows really. I'll probably need to play more levels with similar textures and flats to get a rough idea on this. I'll see what I can do.

That barrier after the third checkpoint that seperates the two halves of the course should probably taper in the front, rather than being a square blockade like that. (Describing that in words is really hard; I might have to draw a picture to demonstrate.)

Actually I think I know what you mean. Do you mean that I should shape it, so the two opposite sides at the end of the shape meet at a vertice (as opposed to how it is now with another side( being the "square blockade") stopping them from doing so)?

Also, get rid of that teleporter, however you have to do it; those are never good in a kart map, considering how easy it is to lay a banana/fake box right in front of the destination and create an unavoidable trap. As it stands now, though, it's not bad; just not good.

I never intended for this track to use a teleporter of any sort, as not only can it be flow-breaking, but as you said, this can allow for traps to be placed right near the teleporter destination, thus making the player behind fall into the trap, inevitably. However, when I came to realise how long of a level my original design was, I was forced to cut what was practically half of the level and improvise the rest. If I had tried to connect the lava part to where the last checkpoint is using more track and such, it would've dragged on, but now I think I have an idea on how to solve that issue. I'm glad you had mentioned this.

Yeah, looks like I didn't really think too much about my level design as I thought I had. Ah well! Looks like the track will be edited a lot more than I had planned to. Maybe I can even throw in a little gimmick I had in mind! =)

I'll have to think on that some more.

Actually, I just opened the map in SRB2DB. The easiest way to connect the two ends without increasing the length of the map might be to take everything between the teleport destionation and the turn after the first checkpoint, turn it 180 degrees, and connect the ends, rearranging a few turns if needed.

Actually I think I know what you mean. Do you mean that I should shape it, so the two opposite sides at the end of the shape meet at a vertice (as opposed to how it is now with another side( being the "square blockade") stopping them from doing so)?
Exactly what I meant.

Also, I'll admit this is a very minor personal quirk that nobody else is going to care about, but I've always liked when starposts are placed two to a checkpoint, on either end of the activator sector.

Actually, I just opened the map in SRB2DB. The easiest way to connect the two ends without increasing the length of the map might be to take everything between the teleport destionation and the turn after the first checkpoint, turn it 180 degrees, and connect the ends, rearranging a few turns if needed.

Interesting! I shall give that a shot. I appreciate the feedback!

Also, remember this section:
zkhchl.jpg

Unless I come up with a different approach, I'll be turning those normal yellow springs into diagonal ones(For those who sometimes misalign themselves with the springs) I mean let's just face it;
aubfas.jpg

NO-ONE would want to have to TURN BACK, just for their next checkpoint! In fact, it should NEVER happen at all really. I'll probably need to do something more to prevent the whole "Having to go the wrong way, just for a checkpoint" issue, but until I get an idea for that, the springs will be the only change in that part for now.

Also, it's been noted that green shells( and possibly other items ) are sometimes capable of going through walls in this sector:
33ku5vo.png

That's something I'll be attempting to fix in my next update as well.

UPDATE!1.2.(Im a co-author so i post the changelog)
-Even MORE Decorations added.
-Track re-arrangement(Teleport Removed,as result)
-A SHORTCUT!Guess for yourself where it is.>:D
-Spring change(as stated in previous post)
-Bugfixe(1,The green shell one,stated in previous post too)
-Mooooooore things.

About the shortcut. You'll be required to use a mushroom (Or if you're skilled enough, a full drift boost) to successfully make it through. Though I'll need some feedback on it, before I consider it official.

For my next update, I'll be definitely working on this particular area:
33nkpzb.jpg

As not only is it quite bland, but the issue of being hit by a lightning user at this point can screw you over, which can get real annoying. I've been trying to think of a way to keep players struck by lightning here a way of not having any trouble. The only ideas I have for now is to have a bunch of small entrances that unfortunately, lead to a teleporter that would transport you here:
vky1g.jpg

I've already moved the springs that launch you up here sidewards some( or I may need to move it some more), so no traps could be placed right in front of the teleporter destination, however there would clearly be no escape from a Bob-omb. Curses!

My other idea would be to put the rocks closer together and decrease the height difference of them, but I get the feeling it would take the fun away from that area and would make it look more flat. I'm not sure though.

Which should I go with? Or do you have a better suggestion?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back