Are FPS's too generic nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not very accurate. Gaming is all preference. If you like FPSs you'd know why they're different. There are a lot of differences in terms of engine builds, game play, etc. That'd be like saying, "Every platformer's a recolour of another platformer". In a sense, it's true. Of course, they're similar, that's what makes a genre (if you ask me). If you like them you understand why people play them. Trying to understand why people like something you don't is pretty pointless, you just have to accept the fact they do.

I really liked Bioshock. The gameplay really fun, and the story was original and refreshing.

World War 2 game
World War 2 game 2: guns and stuff
World War 2 game 3: now with added sniper
Team Fortress 2
World War 2 game 4: slightly better graphics
World War 2 game 5: how is world war 2 not over yet

Personally FPS that are generic are actually fun in a way. Too complicated FPS(Tribes) require a high learning curve and aren't fun generally unless a person has been playing for a while. Generic means everyone can play it and at least get more than 2 kills that weren't luck.

Half-life 2 had the gravity gun, the ultimate pwn of all time. Portal had the Portal gun, which runs alongside the ultimate pwn of all time. Timesplitters owned up, too.

I wouldn't say FPSes are generic... they're all first person shooters. So, yeah. You have guns. You shoot stuff. And you're in first person.

Mm, yeah.

Quite a few differences between the games, other than that. Not all play the same. Different way guns are handled (Realism, completly unrealistic?), different damage systems (Can you take 1 bullet or 500? it location damage? What effects?). Too much stuff to list.

I don't like Team Fortress 2, but I enjoy Crysis. I can't stand Halo 2, but I enjoy Halo 1.

Obviously, they're not that generic. If they were, then I'd like 'em all.

Yep, they are getting really the same so thats where the 2nd person shooter comes, some of those games are: Metal Gear 3 and 4, Fracture, Socom: Comfrontation Scarface and stuff...

Sonnarkku said:
Yep, they are getting really the same so thats where the 2nd person shooter comes, some of those games are: Metal Gear 3 and 4, Fracture, Socom: Comfrontation Scarface and stuff...

There is NO such thing as a second-person shooter. If there were, that would be seeing through the eyes of your opponent. That would be lame.

Actually, I think a second person shooter out there exists, and you play through the vision of various security cameras and stuff like that.

I still think that would technically be a 3rd-person view. 1st person means "I", 2nd person means "you", 3rd person means "he/she." You're not shooting at the cameras, right?

Half-Life really isn't that generic. I mean, in concept, maybe (because we totally haven't seen all hell breaking loose in research labs before), but the gameplay is quite unique (a whole bunch of stages that nearly seamlessly flow into each other, giving the appearance of one large world instead of Level 1, Level 2, etc; plot details being given to you in the middle of the stages; large emphasis on teams of enemies working together to take you down, instead of teams of enemies mindlessly running at you as if they were doing it solo; and so on and so forth).

Plus, the hero wasn't just a generic, white, macho military grunt - granted, he's still white, but he was a meek, nerdy scientist, with the only thing separating him from the other meek nerdy scientists being the HEV suit he had to wear as part of the experiment. He hadn't really done much with firearms before, IIRC (although given his proficiency in using all of them as the game goes on, could've fooled me).

And, as has been said before, Team Fortress 2. One of the few games that doesn't focus entirely on killing the other team (just mostly on it). Unique setting, unique art style, extremely unique gameplay. Enough said.

FPS's have gotten really boring for me nowadays. They are becoming too real, if that makes any sense.

I personally like the more old school shooters like Doom and Quake. Unreal Tournament isn't bad either, but that's just my opinion.

:SonicMaster: said:
I still think that would technically be a 3rd-person view. 1st person means "I", 2nd person means "you", 3rd person means "he/she." You're not shooting at the cameras, right?

Metal Gear Online SOP system allows you to obtain a full data of what your friend is doing, where he´s aiming, if he´s talking, life status, energy status, name, group and team, I would consided that something similar to a 2nd person shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back