Things in video games you're tired of seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
QTEs and sections where you must defeat all enemies to move on.
(For the record, I hate God of War.)

I also hate the boredom of most platformer enemies. Like that Skunk said in Twinsanity, Back and forward, back and forward.

Quick-Time-Events done poorly: (I'm looking at you Sonic Unleashed). I believe there's a way to handle QTE's correctly, I personally liked (most of) how QTE's were handled in Bayonetta (in one particular QTE you have to jump off of a ledge by doing a QTE, but the QTE uses the 2 buttons/stick that would have Bayonetta jump in that direction during normal gameplay anyways. There are some other QTE's in combat too; not a fan of the bigger enemy/boss finisher that spawns a dragon and eats the enemy alive, but the short QTE's that last about 3 seconds and are cool to look at). But then we have QTE's that are just flat-out poorly put in. I'll use Sonic Unleashed as my example. There are many instances in the game that use QTE's poorly. I'll use the first QTE (which is avoidable in Dragon Road as my main example. You run into a ramp and a Quicktime event activates. If you fail, you fall to the lower level, if you succeed you move to the upward path. Now what happened to that thing...er momentum? When it was used successfully 1-2 levels ago. Poorly used QTE us poorly used.

It´s not like they have much of an option, the Desert Eagle is the world´s most powerful Semi-Automatic handgun in service, the only other gun that can be compared to it is the .500 Smith & Wesson Revolver, it may be slightly stronger than the Desert Eagle (it´s a revolver), but it can only carry 5 shots, plus, the difference in power is not that much, I prefer having 7+1 shots than only 5.

What I´m tired of is that games are made for a too specific public, dude, look at all those FPS games that keep being for adults and have all that ¨Realism Stuff¨, and when games are for teens, they limit it too much. I miss things like Doom, dang dude, Doom makes a great T rated game, with M content, if there were more ¨freely rated¨ games like those world would be better.

I'm more so sick of seeing them less because of their strentgh, but because in everygame I've seen them in they are godmode; They are THE best pistol, hands down, no other options. It's tiring.

I'm more so sick of seeing them less because of their strentgh, but because in everygame I've seen them in they are godmode; They are THE best pistol, hands down, no other options. It's tiring.

Well... That's because they ARE. That's like asking developers to make rockets hit like pancakes; they simply CANT be that weak. And I honestly don't play that many Modern FPSes anyway. Hell, in a wad for Doom, Tribute, the Desert Eagle replaces your pistol... And has the same amount of power and the same firing rate, if memory serves. In other words, it's just a re-skin (and a cool one at that).

Anyways, what I'm sick of seeing are weapons that act just like earlier weapons, but better, giving you no reason to ever use it again despite still hogging inventory space. An example of this is Doom II; the chaingun makes the pistol useless (well, moreso), the Super Shotgun makes the shotgun useless, and you probably won't even use the chaingun often because of the Plasma Rifle. And in the original Doom II, there was no option to DROP the weapon and removing it from your inventory like in the ZDoom/Skulltag/GZDoom ports. I mean, why give me these things if I am never using them again and they force me to rotate through them? The old weapons may have their uses, but you could still just use the "better" weapons.

Last edited:
Forced tutorials and underwater levels, for the most part. Generally, most players can figure out the controls for something if you plop them in a wide-open area and them explore a little. A tutorial can be fine, if it's optional. Sonic Unleashed is mainly at fault for doing this, with entire missions dedicated to single mechanics such as "Press X to jump".

As for the latter, being underwater tends to make your pacing slower, and usually forces you to complete a puzzle under the threat of drowning. I'd attribute this specifically to Sonic games, but I've seen it in Mario as well so it's not exactly an isolated case.

Ok... I'm gonna keep it short and simple.
I'm sick of seeing Mario. I mean seriously, Mario is in tennis, soccer, kart racing, and THE OLYMPICS. 'Nuff said. *Destroyed by Mario fans and Nintendo Fanboi/Girls*
Wii Games make you CONSTANTLY wave the Wiimote around (Wario Ware is fun though)
Party games.
Stupid war games/FPSes
*Flamed*

Well... That's because they ARE. That's like asking developers to make rockets hit like pancakes; they simply CANT be that weak. And I honestly don't play that many Modern FPSes anyway. Hell, in a wad for Doom, Tribute, the Desert Eagle replaces your pistol... And has the same amount of power and the same firing rate, if memory serves. In other words, it's just a re-skin (and a cool one at that).

Anyways, what I'm sick of seeing are weapons that act just like earlier weapons, but better, giving you no reason to ever use it again despite still hogging inventory space. An example of this is Doom II; the chaingun makes the pistol useless (well, moreso), the Super Shotgun makes the shotgun useless, and you probably won't even use the chaingun often because of the Plasma Rifle. And in the original Doom II, there was no option to DROP the weapon and removing it from your inventory like in the ZDoom/Skulltag/GZDoom ports. I mean, why give me these things if I am never using them again and they force me to rotate through them? The old weapons may have their uses, but you could still just use the "better" weapons.

But still, it's tiring to see a pistol that we all know is the best being used as "the best". I'm saying I'd like to see a dev. conjure up a pistol(Wheter the game is real-life based or not), that can outdo a deagle/not see the deagle in games.

Any mission that involves "do this before the time runs out, or you die"

I'm sick of when in FPS games there are zombies, yet they aren't the main enemies. *stares at Doom, Half-Life, and CoD*

I'm getting really tired of science fiction style FPS's being the same over exaggerated "alien apocalypse/invasion" story, over and over.

Remember Quake? You were an unnamed marine going through alternate dimensions before they stopped you, Simple and unique, that's all it really should be.

Random battles in RPG. Those are annoying, I never played many RPG's but I remember Sonic Chronicles let you see all your foes on the field. You could avoid every battle if you tried, except for mandatory ones of course.

this whole war games shit. I mean its fun for a while but it's all I hear from everyone nowadays. HUR DUR Call Of Duty HUR DUR Wii is gay DERP. Remeber when the popular games were original?

HUR DUR Wii is gay DERP.
Someone already gave a good point why most shooters take place during a war. I won't go over that again.
It's REALLY unfair how you say all the popular games were original back then. There a lot of popular games that are really original. One example among many is Littlebigplanet, but nobody seems to list that, really. COD isn't exactly "original" but does every meal have to bring a new taste to the dinner table to taste delicious?

I don't know if this counts but, in every online FPS game I have played, I see an annoying little kid who screams into the mic everytime he talks. Sadly, I came to the conclusion that, as long as there are stupid parents, I will keep seeing the little shits when I just want to play a friendly CS:S game. Thank god I know how to aim at them.

If that doesn't count, then i am tired of games with that one enemy that seems to read your every movement, and you end up dying from an easy-to-dodge death because they interfere, damn HL2 fast zombies pushing me to my death.

Bad voice acting. Seriously, some actors don't even try to voice act. Ever hear House of the Dead 2's voices? They obviously tried with that.

Games that seem like the producers didn't seem to try and look at or even try to play it, but they released the game anyways. There's many examples of these, such as games that need serious polishing or gameplay mechanics are horrible.

Games with either too little replay value, or too much replay value *coughSHADOWTHEHEDGEHOGcough*. Too little replay value means you won't want to keep playing it after, like for example, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. No point in playing afterwords, unless you want those coins, but they're too much of a hassle.
Games with too much replay value mean you don't want to keep playing it. For example, Shadow the Hedgehog. Sure it's fun, but after a while, playing that first level gets boring. And plus, you actually HAVE to play it if you want to even get close to beating the game, since you need to unlock all endings to fight the final boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back