Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't bother making a sky, custom stuff isn't allowed in multiplayer entries.
Seriously? What for?!
Well, I may still make one for you just in case after the contest (Or something).
I think the level's getting so much attention because no one's every pulled of the cloud/sky/airship look so well in SRB2 before.

Seriously? What for?!
Well, I may still make one for you just in case after the contest (Or something).
Because all of the multiplayer levels are merged into one file, ergo, if you replaced one sky, every level that used that same sky would also be replaced.

Since it's actually looking like I'll have my level done in time for the contest, here's a little teaser image of the main area.

xd80ur.jpg

Yes, this level is single player, despite the wide open appearance. It actually has a central area and various branches (accessed through the temples, such as the white and blue ones seen here.)

Once you complete them all, the central pillar will come down to take you into the heavens... and you'll have to wait and see about that part.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to some of these maps. Others need some more work though. I do hope this upcoming OLDC is not too bad. >.<

I hope that most maps that have been announced WILL be completed... People have this habit of saying that their level will be finished for the next OLDC if it's not near being finished, but it gets forgotten by then...

I hope that most maps that have been announced WILL be completed... People have this habit of saying that their level will be finished for the next OLDC if it's not near being finished, but it gets forgotten by then...

Don't worry I'll be entering next contest, just with a different level without custom textures. I'm going to enter just a level with no extras to get a sense of my mapping skills. (If I do have any,lol)

Me and sphere may do a collab again this contest, but don't count on any of my 1P levels getting in. I have caught a cold or something and I don't feel that good.

Yay, Now this part of Map is best!
When Map starts, have a door on Factory, but when you come in your direction, he open!
See images on Attachments! Sorry for not host, its because the sites of images hosts dont accept slow conections.

Attachments

• srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 277
  • srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 281
What day do the maps have to be submitted by? The 28th?

I estimate I have another 4 to 6 hours of work left before my map is complete, I should be able to finish easily.

O_O
You guys don't know that robo- bee? Blade used it on his OCZ (that's its name, right? The first stage of he's who-knows-what's-it's-condition mod) level he had on the OLDC a few month ago. I believe this stage's avarage was about 8.

This is my entry, Windmill Hill Zone. It is an introductory level, and is very short and simple. It's very unfinished, but I didn't really enter to win, I just hope to get lots of good feedback :P

EDIT: Oh! And sorry Fawfulfan! I wasn't able to make the platforms less blocky yet, but don't worry, I will ^^
And here is my gigantic rant about the level for those who want to read it...
This is my first entry into the level design contest! I decided to enter this map into the contest in hopes to get good feedback on how to improve. It is currently unfinished and will be further improved in the future.
I tried to make every part of the level have some reason behind it, and tried to keep everything interesting. I tried to inspire a sense of freedom and simplicity in this map. I also tried to introduce the concepts of the gimmicks one at a time, hopefully you guys will understand how they work as you play through :P

It's a fairly short level, and can be easily beaten within a minute or less. In order to best enjoy this level, I suggest exploring and just having fun :P Although this level is very simple, I tried to incorpate a few very tiny things to keep veteran players interested...like the location of the Speed Shoes for speedrunners. And a couple of secrets (more on those at the bottom of this text).

There are many areas that are currently very plain and undecorated. Also, there are several "slime trails" which I want to try to fix without affecting the visual aesthetics. The "easy route" (which takes the longest, but is the most simple) is very unpolished, and I'm considering remaking that area for future versions. To me, it feels kind of boring and uninspired ^^"

I haven't really tested this map with Knuckles or Tails, but I hope that for any of you who play as them, this map will still be fun. This is my first map since Rebirth Green Hill Zone, and I would like to say I've improved quite a bit since then, but I guess I'll find out soon enough ^^. I would love to get some feedback on my level, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

SECRETS:
There are currently three emeralds hidden in the map, and one easter eggman. Also, there is an emblem, which is meant to be for Sonic, but I couldn't figure out how to specifiy it as Sonic-Only. In future versions, I will add some things for Tails and Knuckles. Eventually, the emeralds and easter-eggman will be replaced with something else which all lead to one central secret.

EXTRA INFO:
This level was actually based off a dream I had of SRB2...(Kind of sad...xD) But it was so much fun to play in my dream that I wanted to try and recreate it. It turned out quite a bit differently than I dreamt it, but I hope it's still fun. There are some elements from my dream that I'm hoping to incorporate in Act 2 :P

I also am hoping to create my own custom music for this stage, but that probably won't happen for quite a while ^^"

srb20014.png

Last edited:
Umm... I have a good impression of this map for some reason from the past. ^_^

@Ultimate, your map may have an interesting concept, platforming, all and stuff, but... these wall textures are irritating. I think you should consider replacing them or make something less GHZ-wise. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
Pretty cool Ultimate. Can't wait to see the level.

Thanks, I hope you like it ^^

@Ultimate, your map may have an interesting concept, platforming, all and stuff, but... these wall textures are irritating. I think you should consider replacing them or make something less GHZ-wise. Just my 2¢.

Yeah, at first I really liked the GHZ wall texture. And I still do - except when the walls that the texture is used on are gigantic. And that's one thing there's lots of in my map at the moment...I've been experimenting with other textures, but I still haven't found one I like yet...if you have any suggestions please let me know :P I might have to try and make my own =X
I think for the next release I'll change the texture to GFZ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back