Suggestions

EDIT: Which reminds me. Is Lua tied to the map (e.g. executed with a linedef executor) or autorun on load or what? As in, how does a Lua script get activated?
Lua scripts are run when the lump or wad is loaded, and besides actions that it performs when it is first run, it creates functions which are code you wrote in Lua to be run at certain times, and hooks for triggering and sending information to those functions, such as replacing a mobj's thinker, running at map load, running when a mobj takes damage, running when triggered by a linedef executor, etc.

New sector type would be cool: Trigger Linedef Executor (Emblem Check)
I mean if you enter this sector with enough emblems this sector would activate a linedef trigger.

While revisiting a couple of topics about version 2.1, I came across this suggestion by SSNTails regarding the behavior of pressing the jump button on a Tails with a whirlwind shield equipped, while in its panting animation after flying for too long:

What about triggering the jump still, but maintaining him in the pant state (and thus lower gravity)?

Is this implemented, or planned to be in 2.1? If not, I would like to re-suggest it. :)

Honestly, I couldn't find any discussion or statement from one of the devs on this issue after that particular post (I did check the wiki and chat logs). I'm asking you guys if this issue was resolved in any way because it seemed like something that could be overlooked in the middle of so many updates, but it seems to be something easy to fix (using SSN's suggestion).

New sector type would be cool: Trigger Linedef Executor (Emblem Check)
I mean if you enter this sector with enough emblems this sector would activate a linedef trigger.

I think such a thing is already planned for version 2.1. At least that's what I get from this quote (the underlined part is the relevant bit):
  • TRIGGER [trigger number]
    This one is a little unique -- This requires a special Linedef Executor with type 441 set to the desired trigger number. When this Linedef Executor is activated, the trigger flag will be set (and unlockable status will be checked immediately). These triggers carry over from map to map, and a Trigger Linedef Executor with type 317 or 318 can check for them as well. This could potentially allow you to trigger unlockables by jumping on a certain person's house three times, if you wish to run an already dead joke into the ground even further. Note that this does not work in netgames, or if gamedata is no longer being saved (due to the use of GOD, NOCLIP, NOTARGET, etc.).

EDIT: To be more exact, there are two things going on in here, in which the first one is the obviously confirmed feature, while the second is not but I think I'm right in assuming it:

1. Unlock something (like an emblem) with a Linedef executor
    This is done using the linedef action 441 attached to some executor of your choice (this is not what Ors wanted).

2. Trigger a linedef executor if something is unlocked
    This is done by building an executor with a trigger linedef with type 317/318, that only activates your executor if some unlockable is unlocked (like a specific number of emblems). Using some sector with a Trigger Linedef Executor effect, tagged to the trigger linedef with type 317/318, does exactly what Ors wanted.

Last edited:
  1. Unlock something (like an emblem) with a Linedef executor
    This is done using the linedef action 441 attached to some executor of your choice (this is not what Ors wanted).

2. Trigger a linedef executor if something is unlocked
    This is done by building an executor with a trigger linedef with type 317/318, that only activates your executor if some unlockable is unlocked (like a specific number of emblems). Using some sector with a Trigger Linedef Executor effect, tagged to the trigger linedef with type 317/318, does exactly what Ors wanted.

Really neat! can you show an example of those things? I want to learn to do them very much!

How about a special tag that hides things so people can not see them? It would be useful to have like a spring, or a fan invisible.

If you really want invisible springs guys, you *could* just make your own custom springs that are pre-set to be invisible - MF_NOSECTOR, MF2_DONTDRAW, or SPR_DISS, choose your weapon.

Invisible fans on the other hand, you can't do the same thing without modifying the original object... Though even if SRB2 2.1 doesn't provide something to turn them invisible for you, there's always Lua to solve your problems. ;)

just give the fan or spring invisible frames and bam, invisible fans and springs

That would be cool if not for the fact that maybe they don't want every single spring or fan to be invisible. I wouldn't know for sure though.

Eliwood, an entirely new spring object can be created from scratch via SOCs, and those can be given invisible sprites instead. However, fans are hardcoded, it seems, so the only way to make them invisible is by making them all invisible.

I think this belongs to the general issue that is: you don't have access to map thing flags in a programmatic way (not counting source code modifications). If you could customize the behavior of some new or existing object in the game, depending on the value of certain map thing flags, it would allow you much more flexibility in tweaking your favorite setting of your favorite object, e.g. checking "Effect 1" on a Gargoyle Thing would make it shoot fire projectiles, while checking "Effect 2" would make it intangible, etc.

I'm hoping you can do this sorts of things with Lua in the upcoming version...

EDIT: I know I just repeated most of what Monster Iestyn said. No biggie though.

Clear all files

Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no way to clear the files loaded once you enter a server. What about adding a function like "clearallfiles" that would clear the files once you are out of a netgame without having to restart the game client?

It exists, it's called DELFILE, and it's disabled in every official build because it is horribly buggy and tends to crash the game.

It is not easy to just undo all the SOC changes, all the sprite changes, etc.

I think it'd be smart if you could let players with WADs loaded still join a netgame... IF the client's wad list completely matches the server's. Either that or add in a "rejoin" option when you get disconnected from a server. It's a royal bitch when you're playing a game, you get consistency kicked, and then have to restart the whole client just to join a game that you KNOW is using the exact same WADs you are. Bonus points if after joining, you get consistency kicked AGAIN.

I think it'd be smart if you could let players with WADs loaded still join a netgame... IF the client's wad list completely matches the server's. Either that or add in a "rejoin" option when you get disconnected from a server. It's a royal bitch when you're playing a game, you get consistency kicked, and then have to restart the whole client just to join a game that you KNOW is using the exact same WADs you are. Bonus points if after joining, you get consistency kicked AGAIN.

already fixed.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back