• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

CTF Map Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniczeHedgefox

Make room for Dr. Sonic!
I'm making a CTF Level Pack that I plan on being added into the Green Greens project me and Hazard are working on. Since Hazard can't be on the internet all half turn I decided to show you what map I've made.
GRASSY GREENS ZONE
My first ever CTF Map

This is ment to be based on GFZ, 'nuff said!

srb20040_zps219f75e3.png

srb20041_zpsa5588e68.png

srb20042_zps6ec85b6f.png

srb20043_zpsb575ede8.png

srb20044_zps9558ec84.png

Too much GFZROCK textures. Add some colors to the map and use different textures. What's with the pillers that has the tiling Sonic and Knuckles flags texture?

Last edited:
For the sonic and knuckles textures it would be better to make a linedef with a Upper Unpegged rather then making the textures come out of the ground, You can also make a FOF if you want.

And make different wall textures representing there own bases.

Last edited:
Because I don't know how to make actual flags without a celing.

As I said...
It would be better to make a linedef with a Upper Unpegged rather then making the textures come out of the ground, You can also make a FOF if you want.

For help see this
https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Pegging
But instead of making it a grass texture, make it a flag texture.

This also might help you when creating a CTF level.
https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Level_Design_101/Match_and_Capture_the_Flag

Actually forget that just look at one of the CTF levels in zones.dta in your srb2 folder as an example.

Last edited:
First, a nitpick:
For the sonic and knuckles textures it would be better to make a linedef with a Upper Unpegged
Upper Unpegged does not affect rendering of midtextures. Upper Unpegged only alters the rendering offset of Upper textures to start at a different point than the back sector's (assuming the texture is on the front sector) ceiling. (I honestly have no clue where it starts at instead; I used to think it started at the front sector's ceiling instead, but that's not actually the case, so I gave up trying to figure it out). Lower Unpegged's main purpose is to do the same for Lower textures; it merely has the additional side effect of rendering midtextures starting from the floor instead of the ceiling.

As far as the map in question... it's decidedly a beginner's map. The biggest flaw is that the whole map is one big rectangular room, with just a few walls to provide cover. While this type design can work if done well, most good CTF maps involve at least a separate room for each base, connected to the center in a way that allows for proper defense. See Lime Forest from the vanilla rotation for an example of this, with a confined base that provides proper means for defending from intruders (while also allowing for sneak attacks from clever players). Most maps also have another room or two per side to break up the center and help provide a transition to the base. Most importantly, you should always have at least two paths between bases, to provide players with options to try to sneak the flag across the map or hide out from others; the example from the vanilla rotation that comes to mind is Icicle Peak, which has a lower path through the cave, an upper path over it, and even a path around it and across a lake. The paths don't have to be distinctly separate, and in fact a small mostly-open map can be fun, but there should always be multiple ways to cross the map.

I can't judge much about the object layout from mere screenshots, but I'm assuming either it's still a work in progress or you collected some stuff before taking the screenshots, because I don't see any weapon rings or panels on the map.

First, a nitpick:

Upper Unpegged does not affect rendering of midtextures. Upper Unpegged only alters the rendering offset of Upper textures to start at a different point than the back sector's (assuming the texture is on the front sector) ceiling. (I honestly have no clue where it starts at instead; I used to think it started at the front sector's ceiling instead, but that's not actually the case, so I gave up trying to figure it out). Lower Unpegged's main purpose is to do the same for Lower textures; it merely has the additional side effect of rendering midtextures starting from the floor instead of the ceiling.

I Forgot to mention that part... you need the right offset postion in order for it to work correctly or else the flag texture would be on the ceiling...

Last edited:
Update

Seems like I get to update within one day...
Everyone is pointing out errors and stuff. This isn't my first map but it is my first CTF map.
I'm not gonna add flags because I think the Giant Pole Sonic/Knuckles thing looks cool, but I will use flags in other levels. *hint hint.*
But I am planning on adding multiple pathways like they did in Lime Forest.
I used the More and Team Textures too.
srb20045_zps6ad3305d.png

srb20046_zps26b1d0c7.png

srb20047_zps0b92701a.png

srb20048_zps6dcd8f80.png

srb20049_zps2ed19036.png

I hope you like this. (I bet you won't.)

You might like the team poles but I still think their one-colored existance is EXTREMELY jarring, at least make it a small floating cube, or a middle texture, because they just don't fit.

You might like the team poles but I still think their one-colored existance is EXTREMELY jarring, at least make it a small floating cube, or a middle texture, because they just don't fit.

I see where you're going with that but it's very long so you can see it from a distance. But I may try your idea.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

I decided to update it again, still no alternative pathway though.
srb20052_zpsde9de981.png

srb20053_zps39b274e7.png

srb20054_zpsd9ccec91.png

needs more progress. Is to flat and to small, make more high and improve.
Put custom sky (if you want) to make more fancy and more custom textures.
Hide very well the rail ring, explosion too.
Make sure you aligned the textures.

I think this message will help you. Have a good day!

needs more progress. Is to flat and to small, make more high and improve.
Put custom sky (if you want) to make more fancy and more custom textures.
Hide very well the rail ring, explosion too.
Make sure you aligned the textures.

I think this message will help you. Have a good day!

How can I get help by this grammar.
I may make a custom sky to cut apart the blue walls to the sky. I did hide the rail ring in the ocean and also on pillars while the explosions you have to go out of your way to get.
Textures are aligned, and most of these things you've said are already in mind. Hell I'm in process of making them.
(BUT I AM REMOVING THE COLOURED GFZ ROCK TEXTURES.)

the coloured gfz rock textures really sucks there. Okay. I don't come to your work but... improve a lot and you can earn the respect of your efforts.

Update again also reply

the coloured gfz rock textures really sucks there.

I know I'm removing it now, it's an update post anyway! :D
srb20057_zps5cec56e6.png

srb20058_zps5b8ec400.png

srb20059_zps4239e2dc.png

EDIT: another picture to look at the sky! yay
srb20055_zps6962f05b.png

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

I'm waiting for the comments saying this is bad. :(

Last edited:
I know I'm removing it now, it's an update post anyway! :D
srb20057_zps5cec56e6.png

srb20058_zps5b8ec400.png

srb20059_zps4239e2dc.png

EDIT: another picture to look at the sky! yay
srb20055_zps6962f05b.png

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

I'm waiting for the comments saying this is bad. :(
For me it looks good but always you can make it better ;)

Well, this here is a pretty decent map, as I have no experience at making CTF maps, I will not be able to help you that much. Firstly, I know it is not finished, but the map is linear, don't forget to add some pathway to the left, the right, and even over the stage, why not?

I have nothing else to say here because this map looks good for a rectangle shapped one.

Well, this here is a pretty decent map, as I have no experience at making CTF maps, I will not be able to help you that much. Firstly, I know it is not finished, but the map is linear, don't forget to add some pathway to the left, the right, and even over the stage, why not?

I have nothing else to say here because this map looks good for a rectangle shapped one.

Thanks. You're ideas are again already in mind.
Now tell me, is there something odd in this picture?

srb20060_zpsf8537ae8.png

Appart of some walls going up to the sky, nothing is weird, You can fix that by making your thok barrer as an Fof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back