Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fawfulfan said:

ivincideath.bmp

This invincibility leads right into a deathpit if you get it.

In some of the underwater areas of AAZ, the enormous number of enemies around the air bubbles renders it near impossible to get the bubbles without flying back and drowning.

I think lag can be reduced by culling planes or something like that...

Most space areas with all of the asteroids, satellites, and cool space scenery in SWZ lag for me. It may just be my computer, though...

Fixed your map24. <<Replace your map24 in the torturedplanet file with this one. You had your gravity tags screwed up. If you want to, first compare the files to see what you did.

ivincideath.bmp
This invincibility leads right into a deathpit if you get it.
You still haven't explained what you mean. If you posted a picture, I can't see it. Examples, please?

ivincideath.bmp
In some of the underwater areas of AAZ, the enormous number of enemies around the air bubbles renders it near impossible to get the bubbles without flying back and drowning.
Fair point. I'll see if I can do something about that.

I think lag can be reduced by culling planes or something like that...
Culling planes inhibit the rendering of sprites and FOFs, and are only intended to be used in situations when you can't view those anyway, such as levels with multiple floors.

Fixed your map24. <<Replace your map24 in the torturedplanet file with this one. You had your gravity tags screwed up. If you want to, first compare the files to see what you did.
Ummm, what did you do? Besides forgetting to code out the ERZ3 scaledown, I mean. I get you changed the gravity tags, but what is the bug that this is intended to fix? As far as I can tell, your modifications to the gravity tags haven't changed anything about the way the level runs.

Last edited:
The gravity now switches at the Egg Capsule. I simply changed the sector the gravity tags are on for the capsule sectors so the gravity switches in the capsule sectors. My old complaint was about a glitch in the old version (I then got the update.) This one is one I found in the new version. Now you don't have to take out the Egg Capsule!

I'll get a screenshot of the spot in a bit.

Wait, there was a scaledown there? I didn't see one...
EDIT: How'd that get there? It should fix itself, though, because the grav was the only thing I changed...

Last edited:
Minor complaint... I was playing through the wad again to test my character, and I must say I like the revamped levels*. However, the rolling wave corridor in DDZ2 is not one of my favorite challenges. I got past it after some difficulty, headed into the next area... and fell into a pit that is awfully hard to make out in the darkness and under the shallow water.

*I must admit I spent a good minute or so trying to find an alternate path in ECZ1 before realizing that the red-lit alarm-sounding corridor I was trying to avoid wasn't the nightmare-inducing Deton corridor remembered. That one... is in act 2. *shudders*

Wow, I forgot about that pit I added in. Well, I'm likely going to scrap and replace that room anyway. Even if I don't, I'll make that hazard much more forgiving, or just delete it.

Also, that Deton corridor isn't hard at all...just run full-pelt through the hall, and the Detons should all crash harmlessly into walls.

At this point in GCZ1 it would be nice if you could run inside the cave and to a crashed mine cart or steam train and through to the end (a second route).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-15 at 19.30.32.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-15 at 19.30.32.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 440
Hey, Fawfulfan, I just got greeted with a game crash near the beginning of Alien Armageddon 2.

I looked at Doombuilder, and I see there is no way around it for Sonic users, so it pretty much makes the pack unbeatable as Sonic.

errorad.png

Somewhere there, once I am there, the game crashes. Just a reminder, if you don't happen to get the crash, and other people do, I really think it should be fixed, even if it means to remake that area. (I have v5.3 if your wondering.)

EDIT: There appears to be a way to bypass the game crash area, here's how. *Pic coming soon.*

On a side note...
srb20002dr.png

I found a weird texture in Alien Armageddon 1.

srb20003.png

Missing texture in Alien Armageddon 2 that is really harmful, honestly, I thought that was a floor that I could use to go across, but no, I die.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I honestly have no clue how to solve that crash. I'd fix it if I could, but I can't think of any explanation for it. I don't get the crash myself, so I can never be sure if my changes to the area will have solved it (so far, none of them have). I'll try to think of some idea as to how it might be fixed.

In the meantime, feel free to play around with the level in SRB2DB, and see if you can fix it yourself (short of entirely removing the area). If you do manage to fix it, notify me and either let me know how you fixed it, or provide a download for the modified level. I'll put it in and give you credit for fixing the problem.

As for the missing texture, I'll fix that at once.

I did manage to find a way around it, but it's still risky.
errorad.png

Follow the green line and make sure you face the wall, make sure the camera doesn't even look to the left or the right while moving, as even a single look could cause the crash the happen.

Tried poking at that area myself, wondering if the polyobject flags were a possible cause. All I managed to do was completely bork up the map. Screen flashes a bit, music plays, nothing happens for a while, then "srb2win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Tried editing it through XWE for the hell of it. The console window that popped up to show ZenNode's progress said the level was too big to build blockmaps.

I still wonder if it's the flags.

On another note, whatever those blue things are scattered around that area atop the wall near the flags, they crash Doombuilder when I highlight them in Things mode.

What, you mean the Robo-Hoods?

Anyway, did you make sure to remove every element of the PolyObjects? The Spawn Points, the Anchors, the PolyObject sectors, and all the associated linedefs? Deleting half of it but leaving the rest could result in a crash of the nature you described.

But you may be on to something...the flags are my most likely lead. If you guys wanna look at them, be my guest But as I said, I really can't work on the glitch myself because I don't experience it.

Yeah, for some reason Doom Builder crashed whenever I highlighted them. But then again, it's been rather weird lately. It's why I didn't spend the time to remove every trace of the flags. I'll have to try again later.

Also...
srb20022.png

Noticed the yellow field looked weird when I passed through, so I jumped back in and saw this. Don't know the term, but it's the same effect SonicX8000 found in AAZ2.

srb20017.png

A little readjustment needed, it seems.

On another note, I found this and this really awesome.

Blargh.

Many of those glitches are either already fixed or slated to be fixed. That Coop-unfriendly blocked door in FSZ2 should finally be fixed in v6.0.

Also in ECZ2, at the place where you can take 4 different routes, 3 of the 4 paths after 1 player has reach the area where all path merge all 3 doors shut, thus only leaving other players stuck if they havent took the other 1 (path with crushers and lasers.)

I'm pretty sure that only two of the paths do that. Both the conveyor belt path and the Turret path can be used more than once. As for the other two, I have now fixed that for the next version.

EDIT: I'm constructing a new gimmick which will be found in DDZ2. I'm really proud of it, personally. It's on the newer of the two paths.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with the crashing room in Alien Armageddon a bit yesterday and today, after reading the forums and reading the suggestion for removing the polyobject flags, I tried that.

Lo and behold, it worked! Alien Armageddon 2 no longer crashes! As long as everything to do with the flags is removed, then the stage runs smoothly and without crashing.

Many thanks to SpaceKGreen for making the observation that the polyobject flags might have been the cause.

I've been messing around with the crashing room in Alien Armageddon a bit yesterday and today, after reading the forums and reading the suggestion for removing the polyobject flags, I tried that.

Lo and behold, it worked! Alien Armageddon 2 no longer crashes! As long as everything to do with the flags is removed, then the stage runs smoothly and without crashing.

Many thanks to SpaceKGreen for making the observation that the polyobject flags might have been the cause.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. If only Doom Builder would cooperate long enough for me to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back