Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually fixed that. I also have more changes planned. There is a room where you avoid the ceiling!

Glaber (I capitalised the first letter of your name in the interest of keeping to conventions in the English language), you do realise that your pseudo-slopes aren't even that?

There's a key difference between conveyors and slopes. In your pseudo slopes, an object instantly accelerates to a steady speed and moves down. In a real slope, the effect of gravity forcing down on an object causes the object to (assuming a steep enough gradient) move down the slope as the downwards force exceeds friction against slope surface.

Of course not in vanilla SRB2, but it's not impossible to add via modifications to the engine.

How are my pseudo-slopes not fake? I know full well that SRB2 can't support real slopes at this time. The video of my slope experiment was really more of a first attempt and was bound to get things wrong. Medivo's Pseudo slopes are not going to be as bad as that unless the slope is 45 degrees or higher. (45 degrees is the angle in the genesis games where you could no longer stand still on a slope)

At this point though, I'm more worried about the swinging platform gimmick than my fake/pseudo-slopes.

There's a key difference between conveyors and slopes. In your pseudo slopes, an object instantly accelerates to a steady speed and moves down. In a real slope, the effect of gravity forcing down on an object causes the object to (assuming a steep enough gradient) move down the slope as the downwards force exceeds friction against slope surface.
Most video games cap their terminal velocities at much lower speeds than real life for the sake of gameplay. There's really not much difference with Glaber's fixed slope speed.

Hey guys. Got good and bad news. I will not be entering Lava Reef Act 2 into the contest. However I will enter a new level. It will have a lot of water. It will also have trees to jump from. I will post screenshots when I get more work done.

Looks like my plans on useing a chain and polyobject combo failed. So I had to go game gear on the thing. The version that has the chain is still on the map though, just in a secret location now.

14ipjiv.png

2yosd20.png

2zec6yb.png

In the last screenshot: Almost same textures just with orange, yellow and blue. And brown on the wall. Aren't those too many textures for one thing? Especially since blue are usually ice stages or something. But hey, that's just my opinion...

Well, I hope somebody finishes something, because right now we're less than a week away from the deadline and no maps have been submitted yet. (Well, there was one submission, but I think it was posted in the wrong section and wasn't set up properly.)

Wait. Does that mean if there's only one entry for a certain game mode, we automatically win? Because that would be awesome.

I still have a section to finish for Medivo, but I may cut the level short and enter a beta. But the intended secret will be finished in time, provided I don't get hit with another power outage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back