Software vs. OpenGL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliwood

It's been a while since I bothered to know the difference, but what's better for srb2 here? Software more or OpenGL mode? What are the major differences between the two?

From my (small) knowledge, certain people can't run srb2 at all in software mode (perfectly fine for me) but they can run it just smoothly in openGL, yet it seems like it's not properly supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.0 added a bunch of new graphical effects, like repeating middletextures, opaque floors with transparent pixels, and fog blocks. By and large however, these new effects were not recreated in openGL, which is more-or-less what everyone means by "OpenGL is not support kthxbye". Simply put, playing in OpenGL means that there is a lot of stuff in the game that you just don't see, particularly in singleplayer. This is of course on top of all the old issues OpenGL had in final demo, such as the lack of camera lighting, z fighting on overlapping textures and sprites, sorting, and colormaps being handled incorrectly.

However, SRB2's match and CTF rotation don't make use of anything that OpenGL can't render, so all the old advantages regarding the shooter gametypes still apply... namely, the ability to look and shoot straight up and down. Most fanmade match and CTF stages also stick to this.

So generally speaking, software mode is best for singleplayer and circuit because it can render everything, and openGL is best for the shooter gametypes for the same reasons it always was, and because the things openGL can't render are not typically used in shooter stages.

Last edited:
Well, OpenGL just straight up looks nicer and supports more than one resolution in windowed mode.
Unfortunately, you don't get to move that window, or see half the game as Prime was saying.

So, yeah, both are just bad at the moment. It boggles my mind that the dev team is working on level content and such when the game window still can't push out of 800x600 like we're still in the early nineties.
Oh yeah, and fullscreen gives me bizarre palette issues which I never solved :v If anyone knows something about that, I'd be super happy.

Oh yeah, and fullscreen gives me bizarre palette issues which I never solved :v If anyone knows something about that, I'd be super happy.
That's typically the result desktop backgrounds that switch images, though if I recall correctly somebody already told you that and it wasn't the problem. I'm not aware of any other causes, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back