Why aren't the old songs included in newer releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhog

Wandering Protagonist
Some may remember the fact that songs that were in previous versions of SRB2 still continued to be featured in newer versions. For example, TUNES 51 - the old Special Stage song. Even after it went unused(version 1.09) it was kept in the music.dta file so it could be used in future maps, or for "legacy reasons", as the wiki says. It's the same case with the old versions of Arid Canyon Zone, that can be found with TUNES 88 and TUNES 89, as well as the old version of Egg Rock Zone, that can be found with TUNES 87, and the old version of Aerial Garden Zone(TUNES 98).

However, there are songs that were used(or not) in previous versions of SRB2, but weren't kept in the music.dta file. For example, did you know that, in SRB2 Demo 4.35, each of the seven Special Stages had its own individual song? The only one that returned for future versions was the song used in the first Special Stage(and now can be found using TUNES 51). There's also Castle Eggman Zone Act 3, that was used for the final boss in the SRB2 Final Demo series. And the second act of the scrapped Rocky Mountain Zone(that was included in Final Demo 1.08 for some reason) and Mine Maze Zone(this one was also in Demo 4.35).

So, I have just one question. Why is this? Why weren't some of the old songs included in future versions while others were?

I have no clue. I assume either most people don't care, or they decided srb2 would be to big with all the old songs in it.

For example, did you know that, in SRB2 Demo 4.35, each of the seven Special Stages had its own individual song?

Those songs were from a children's Japanese cartoon called 'Ojamajo Doremi' (Magical Doremi in the USA -- although they changed all the music).

There's also Castle Eggman Zone Act 3, that was used for the final boss in the SRB2 Final Demo series. And the second act of the scrapped Rocky Mountain Zone(that was included in Final Demo 1.08 for some reason) and Mine Maze Zone(this one was also in Demo 4.35).

Weren't those versions of Rocky Mountain Zone's and Mine Maze Zone's Act 2s both MIDI-only anyways? Everything in 2.0 aside from SRB1 Remake's music usually has both OGG and MIDI versions around.

As for old CEZ3's theme, I personally don't miss it being in 2.0 much, but that's just my opinion.

If there's anything I'm not sure about being "taken out", it's the pre-2.0 versions of Midnight Freeze Zone's theme and (what was formerly) Hydro Plant Zone's theme. Sure, you could say the new ones are "updates" to the old ones, but they change the old versions' character quite a bit to the point where the old ones might fit some levels better than the new ones would, IMO. =V

The old version of Midnight Freeze is still my favorite music in SRB2's soundtrack.

Also, music.dta can be modified without the game throwing a fit, so you could always manually insert the old music.

Last edited:
Those songs were from a children's Japanese cartoon called 'Ojamajo Doremi' (Magical Doremi in the USA -- although they changed all the music).

Wow, I didn't know that. I guess it explains why the songs feel so animeish and stuff. But does this include the song of the first Special Stage(that kept being used until 1.09)?

Weren't those versions of Rocky Mountain Zone's and Mine Maze Zone's Act 2s both MIDI-only anyways? Everything in 2.0 aside from SRB1 Remake's music usually has both OGG and MIDI versions around.

Mine Maze Zone Act 2, yes. Rocky Mountain Zone Act 2, had an OGG version in 1.08. That version had the song of this act instead of RMZ Act 1 like in later versions.

Also, music.dta can be modified without the game throwing a fit, so you could always manually insert the old music.

Yeah, I know that. I just want to know why the songs aren't in there in the first place.

It would be nice if as many of the original tracks as possible were preserved, at the very least they could provide more default music options for level designers.

You just blew my mind to pieces. I used to listen to those midis a ton when I was younger, always wondering what they were from.
I hate you and love you at the same time for the nostalgia trip.

One word: Size.

While SRB2 isn't at all big by today's standards, some of the community still obtain their internet connection via a potato and antenna.

Disclaimer: I don't agree with the policy, just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back