Best program for recording videogames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
So there are some freeware games, like SRB2, that I would like to record during gameplay, with sound. I'd also like to be able to easily upload the recordings onto YouTube.

Can you guys suggest some good programs to do this with? I've tried WeGame already, but I can't seem to open the resulting files (they're Data Base-type files, if anyone knows how to deal with them).

Last edited:
Fraps is one of the most used videogame recording program. The trial version only records 30 seconds(IIRC), and then you must record again. The full version is absolutely perfect for recording gameplay and sound.

Thanks Next-Gen, Autosaver. I've tried Hypercam 2, and although the quality is admittedly crappy, it's good enough for my purposes.

It won't record SRB2 properly, though, and I imagine that's because it isn't in a window. I thought somebody asked about putting SRB2 in a window a couple of months ago. Is there any way to do that?

Odd, this is what I wanted to ask.

Once Fraps finishes the first 30 secs, does it automatically start again?

NO, Fraps cuts you off at 30sec. To get more... well... [ILLICIT ACTIVITIES DETECTED! BLOCKING OUT OFFENDING TEXT.] is probably the only way.

While it is true that the free version of fraps allows you to record for only 30 sec(then you have to record again) the full version(which I have ^_^) allows you to record as much time as you want. Unfortunately the videos take up a lot of space in your computer. A 1 minute video would take up 3 GB!!!(IIRC) So stick with the hypercam or the free version of fraps it will do you more good.

A 1 minute video would take up 3 GB!!!(IIRC)

Uh, yeah, you're supposed to edit and compress the video yourself afterwards. It doesn't do that while recording for speed reasons -- realtime compression results in a HARD hit on speed.

I'd prolly use Fraps if I had a better computer on hand (ie one with more hard disk space) but may I suggest trying CamStudio? If you set it up right, it records at a fair clip, and the files don't take up a whole lot of space. (It might get a little laggy if you're using a high resolution/framerate, though, and I wouldn't try doing it in Software fullscreen.)

I use Fraps, and after record the video(1GB or more of space in disk), I pass it in a video conversor by 2 times, in High quality, then, the video becomes to 15-30 MB.

I believe there's a program very similar to HyperCam called Cam Studio plus no watermarks. However, I'm using FRAPs to record stuff currently.

I believe there's a program very similar to HyperCam called Cam Studio plus no watermarks. However, I'm using FRAPs to record stuff currently.
I personally dislike camstudio due to how much the audio desyncs on me whenever I use it,
so I use FRAPS due to the high quality, and framerate.

As for compressing it into a smaller file, I just pop it into Sony Vegas or Windows Movie Maker, and it cuts the
file size down a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back