Suggestions

I mean, if nothing's gonna be done for better resynching, please at least incorporate the likes of keepstuff.lua IN VANILLA, something that respawns players that had synched out with their rings, score, lives at the last starpost they hit in a level if they do rejoin. It would honestly make the whole netgame thing a lot more bearable since getting kicked out for bad synching wouldn't mean losing everything.

But how would that work? Another player could join and have the same node as yours, stealing all of your stats. If it's name-based, someone could try to join with your name, and get your stuff.

I don't see how having it IP based would be a bad idea, to be honest.

I also forgot to add another suggestion last time, but honestly, it would be nice if graphic WADs were whitelisted to not modify the game, even up to sprites and really anything that's an image. I know there's the whole "unbalance" thing between players, but come on, if you allow players using a different renderer to be able to look up and down perfectly in match with 3d models which are just as abusable as custom sprites if I'm being perfectly honest, I really don't see how this could be an issue at all. Plus it would make wads that change graphics (HUD for instance) more popular since anyone could use their own without forcing it down everyone's throats.

Last edited:
I don't see how having it IP based would be a bad idea

Because more than one person can live in a household. What do you propose happen if two separate people join from the same IP?

Also HUD graphics have already been whitelisted.

If we were gonna make rejoining after a desync keep your stuff, the easiest way to do that would be to generate a random token on first join and use that to identify yourself across joins. It can be stored in a temporary file per server IP on the client, or honestly just held in memory for that game session. (For the purposes of a transient server, 2-4 bytes would be way more than enough to make guessing the token impractical.)

(On a related topic, if anyone's looking to do cross-join state in any mods, look into how web apps do it. This is the exact problem they have to solve.)

Last edited:
犬夜叉;795271 said:
Also HUD graphics have already been whitelisted.

Wait really? In 2.1? What other graphics are whitelisted?

So, I heard that they are improving the characters abilities, right?
Anyway, if that true..

It'd be cool if knuckles had his "Wall-dash" or whatever it's called from Sonic Advance 3.
And to do that the player should press the Spin button while climbing on a wall..
I know that the Spin key is already used, but it's not really that helpful. Also there is already the wall jump.

Or you can just put a new key input for quick turning..
I know that this idea is kinda weird but, that'd a very cool thing for knuckles..

Just to remind you, it's just an idea..

Can we have the suggestions thread cleaned out again? It has been a while, and a good amount of this stuff could be pulled off with Lua now.

Wait really? In 2.1? What other graphics are whitelisted?
Just the HUD, IIRC. We don't want to allow players to do things like change textures or sprites or this would encourage behaviors like setting every background texture to a solid color and removing all the scenery things so you can see your opponent better in match. It's one thing to get competitive advantage by running the game on a better machine at a higher resolution; it's another to do it by completely ruining the game's visuals on purpose.

Can we have the suggestions thread cleaned out again? It has been a while, and a good amount of this stuff could be pulled off with Lua now.
We no longer clean the suggestions thread, as we no longer confirm or deny when suggestions are implemented. We haven't done that in around a decade.

Remember that this thread is primarily a method of keeping the forums clean by getting all the kids requesting Shadow to post that junk in a single thread. Obviously, sometimes someone posts a legitimately good idea and we do read this thread for that reason, but over 90% of this thread is just stupid trash and it's way easier to maintain by just ignoring it.

If the hud visuals have been whitelisted. Does this mean crosshairs are too?

[Only saying this cos when you press f3, the button to turn off you're hud, it doesnt take the crosshair off]

If you're hoping to turn off the crosshair, you can just use "crosshair off" or "crosshair 0" in the console. There's also an option for crosshairs in the Setup controls menus.

That said, no, we haven't whitelisted the crosshairs yet. But I see no reason why they couldn't be added eventually.

I know this was an april fool's joke, but was Big the Cat a character wad? Because if he was, Will he be released?

I know this was an april fool's joke, but was Big the Cat a character wad? Because if he was, Will he be released?

There were only two frames sprited for the purposes of the April Fools joke, so no, he is unfortunately not a full wad. That's not to say it won't become a legitimate project in the future, however.

What are you talking about? Big the Cat will be in 2.2, and he hasn't been released separately because he only works with the new version - just like Smiles. You couldn't have Big without his hardcoded fishing abilities!

What are you talking about? Big the Cat will be in 2.2, and he hasn't been released separately because he only works with the new version - just like Smiles. You couldn't have Big without his hardcoded fishing abilities!

I'll admit, it'll be fun playing as him.
But how exactly would he fish if there's no aquatic Badniks until DSZ?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back