Terraria

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an excellent reason to hate a game. :S
As an online game, Terraria is, by extension, also a community. A community full of people who are desperate to see their game not change at all, because it is their perfect, selfish game as it is. And after enough of them come together and show enough of their aimless support, the game will in turn remain the same.

This is theoretically the reason why hardmode is unreasonably unfair and the reason why the end-game gear is so limited and unvariable. The developers made it that way to keep its noisiest part of the community happy. The very same part of the community who, as above, defend it with absolutely no idea what the hell they're talking about.

I've been banned from their forum for 'trolling' by the number of attempts I've made, politely, to suggest changes to the game, only for it to break out into a large-scale assault of "No you're wrong, and I won't explain why" comments, source of which was the topic itself existing. Rather than punish these individual commentators, reason being their desperate idiocy and bad grammar, they opted to instead remove the individual who spawned them. Like taking down a Youtube video because the comment section was nothing but memes and negativity.

Last edited:
As an online game, Terraria is, by extension, also a community. A community full of people who are desperate to see their game not change at all, because it is their perfect, selfish game as it is. And after enough of them come together and show enough of their aimless support, the game will in turn remain the same.

This is theoretically the reason why hardmode is unreasonably unfair and the reason why the end-game gear is so limited and unvariable. The developers made it that way to keep its noisiest part of the community happy. The very same part of the community who, as above, defend it with absolutely no idea what the hell they're talking about.

I've been banned from their forum for 'trolling' by the number of attempts I've made, politely, to suggest changes to the game, only for it to break out into a large-scale assault of "No you're wrong, and I won't explain why" comments, source of which was the topic itself existing. Rather than punish these individual commentators, reason being their desperate idiocy and bad grammar, they opted to instead remove the individual who spawned them. Like taking down a Youtube video because the comment section was nothing but memes and negativity.

it sounds like you're more upset at the terraria community for banning you; much more upset than you are at the game being lackluster

it sounds like you're more upset at the terraria community for banning you

I could very well edit my comment to leave out the point that I was banned, and it would still hold the same effect. It doesn't matter, specifically, that I was banned - that is not the focus of my comment. Rather, the fact that they are so intent to keep the game as it is that they would ban anyone who thinks otherwise is the focal point. Do not allude yourself to the idea that I'm angry for being banned - I could really care less, as the game has been abandoned for two years now, and that ban took place roughly 25 months ago.

So I'll rephrase my other post. MANY PEOPLE have been banned for politely asking for improvements, only to be SWARMED by people hell-bent on burying these people, and succeeding. Terraria is a community of fantasist pre-teens, defending their game from people who want to see the game improved upon. The very same community of which has many modders trying desperately to continue the game theirselves, attempts of which range from unimpressive to hilarious.

The game is dead, the community is full of themselves, and ultimately it narrows down to an unfun experience, masked by misplaced hope.

Basically Terraria is like an M Night Shyamalan movie.

it sounds like you're more upset at the terraria community for banning you; much more upset than you are at the game being lackluster

Not really considering he's hated the community since before the ban. What I don't get is him trying so hard to convert the forum to be reasonable people when its long since beyond repair. It's as hopeless as trying to make the Minecraft community not stupid-whining-children.

What I don't get is him trying so hard to convert the forum to be reasonable people when its long since beyond repair.
If the game hadn't died like a fat man hitting a pool of acid, the path to better design would have been through community suggestion. More suggestions for depth than length would have improved the game (an understanding of difference of which would come to intelligent individuals), but instead they wanted neither, because it was beyond their comprehension.

Although realistically, I didn't know Blue was fired from his job until over a year after the game ended. I was shooting at the dark waiting for a reply, but Redigit had kicked out his community informant for being a community informant. So really, at that point in time the game was immediately screwed. After that it was just a lot of wishful thinking until the wishful ones realized it was frivolous to try anymore. The only ones left now are the naive and the god-complexes, fighting amongst one another over needless arguments that were already resolved years ago. Once every three weeks there'll be a new topic asking what the best gear setup is, atop the mounds of other topics of the same question, given same worthless answer.

Last edited:

okay that's all fine and dandy, but that has very little to do with the game

there's not much sense complaining about another community in this thread

it's one thing to be mad about being banned; it's another to rant about it endlessly

Ulala, I'm pretty sure that complaining about another community that is obviously doing something wrong makes a bit of sense but if it's because you were banned, then it's obviously a bad reason to rant unless the ban was unfair.

Moving along, I haven't played Terraria at all, but I have seen what the game is like on some YouTube videos.

But anyhow, since Redigit is apparently the jackass of the group I presume and if he's a developer or something close to it, than obviously the game should of been abandoned a bit sooner.

This post is an administrative ultimatum stating that the previous drama about the community for Terraria ends as of this post. Any continuation of the conversation about the quality of the community and ZarroTsu's vendetta against them will not continue past this post, and if it does, infractions will be issued. I am god damn tired of this happening every fucking time this game comes up, and if this isn't the end of it I'll have to take more offensive action.

The quality of the game itself is also widely regarded at this point as pretty terrible. A few months after the nosedive in quality that was 1.1 and the total dropping of the game kind of cemented the general hatred for the game.

I really guess there's nothing left to say that's already been said. The game's a massive amount of wasted potential that was weighed down by the developer's actions and there's nothing left to do that could possibly change it.

On the positive side, we've at least got starbound that could possibly be superior right? I mean I haven't played it yet (as it isn't out yet) but that could be good, right?

On the positive side, we've at least got starbound that could possibly be superior right? I mean I haven't played it yet (as it isn't out yet) but that could be good, right?

*Cricket Chirp*

It really looks like more of the same, instead lead by the graphic artist that Terraria had. Whether it's good or not won't be judgable until there's a sizable number of videos showing the final content.

Besides, I'm working on my own 'Terraria inspired game' as well. (My freeware mod of Terraria isn't it)

Last edited:
Yeah, considering all I've heard about your project, Zarro, we may as well call it Half-Life 3.

Terraria has a few charms. It was a combat-oriented Minecraft in the 2D realm, making an effort to have you make a house to keep one origin of spawn, and have NPCs who can help out.

Personally, I was disappointed by the game before it got patched. I'm unaware of the replay value, because I barely found any first-play value. The game was uncaptivating, unappealing to me, and was an overall bore. Even upon playing it with friends, I had little enjoyment. Redigit/Relogic/Whoever the hell he is just didn't give me a reason to enjoy the game. I guess I'm not a big fan of random-generated sandbox worlds where you create homes by mining for materials using objects you've crafted over the span of the game, as well as protecting yourself from the unknown terrors... Oh wait, sounds like Minecraft, and yet, I love that.

I'll guess it being in 2D was what threw it for me. The game is probably enjoyable if you're into it, but Terraria just didn't grasp anything out of me.

If I could add anything to the game, it would have been maybe a better art style and combat mechanic, just something that would have made it more interesting. The combat was quite frankly "Hold Attack" and be done, and there wasn't much else that was used to compensate, especially when the game stems from the combat as the biggest difference between it and Minecraft. Should've put more thought into it, eh?

I'll guess it being in 2D was what threw it for me. The game is probably enjoyable if you're into it, but Terraria just didn't grasp anything out of me.
It's 2D in more ways than just graphically. While there are indeed ~600 items and ~100 monsters, since a lot of these resources act exactly the same in reality this content is a fifth of what it appears to be. There's no 'depth' in the actual content itself, and it winds up being consistently more of the same thing.

To me, the best update was the addition of potions and overworld chests with their minor trinkets. It was additional content near the beginning of the game where it was needed, but this depth of content starts to fail itself and return to bland-crap at, as I've obsessed over, "Hardmode". And the excuse, straight from the mouth of their graphic artist's personal understanding, is as follows:

A rough quote from Tiy said:
Hardmode is full of difficult monsters to make sure players are never 'unstoppable'. To give them something to keep on doing while they wait for the next version.

Really, they never actually gave a crap. These were distractions from the fact that they didn't actually add anything new. While hardmode contains 'rematches' with bosses presenting seemingly new AI, the reality is they used the same old bosses and made them so erratic that it was impossible to decipher their movement pattern, as you could scarcely avoid them hitting you at all. And this was further bastardized by the fact that you had to gather uncommon resources to create the consumable item to summon them, and they disappeared if you died to them, rendering your past attempt a net loss to your time and resources.

Enemies and items are just the same as before with some sped-up and stronger versions, some of them done so solely, and FACTUALLY to artificially lengthen the game.

Imagine if SRB2 never moved beyond crawlas and jetty-syns, and instead opted to make later levels contain these same enemies, only with multiple hitpoints and Mystic-realm-second-quest movement speeds. If the game was stuck in 1.09.4's level layout, and they decided that was the final version -- That is Terraria. An acceptable tech demo, but nothing more.

Last edited:
The other day, one of the developers, Redigit, posted a thread on the Terraria Online forums asking for ideas on what should be in an update if they were to have one for the PC.

Here's a link to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
The quality of the game itself is also widely regarded at this point as pretty terrible. A few months after the nosedive in quality that was 1.1 and the total dropping of the game kind of cemented the general hatred for the game.

I really guess there's nothing left to say that's already been said. The game's a massive amount of wasted potential that was weighed down by the developer's actions and there's nothing left to do that could possibly change it.

You think the in-game quality is bad? Wait until you see the code, 80 nested if statements is not a pretty sight.

Source: It's not obfuscated at all, since it's .NET is decompiled it and snooped around. Item effects buffs are done via a very large nest of IFs.

You think the in-game quality is bad? Wait until you see the code, 80 nested if statements is not a pretty sight.

Source: It's not obfuscated at all, since it's .NET is decompiled it and snooped around. Item effects buffs are done via a very large nest of IFs.

I've decompiled the game myself and Zarro's looked at it. We know it's absolutely awful to the point that Zarro's just given up even touching the code.

Alright, so...

It's been quite a while since Terraria was initially dropped and the pleasant people at 505 took up the reigns to make what is probably the worst console port I have seen. A good thing, though, is that Redigit has been working on a new update complete with a LOT of stuff.

As opposed to me saying things because I can't really describe all of the content, I can supply a collection of TO threads and screenshots.

thesurface2-png.52898

underground3-png.52899

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/something-about-one-of-these-new-biomes-from-jim.98890/

rainbow2-png.60948

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/about-the-release-date.103500/

icemap-png.58977

colors-png.58978

superinventory-png.58979

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/morning-spoilers-with-red.102969/

screwinaround-png.57750

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/treehouse-shenanigans.102252/

to1-png.53911

to2-png.53912

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-000-items.99624/

floatingislandssmall-png.51894

junglewaterfalls-png.51898

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/its-been-a-while-since-i-posted-a-spoiler.97577/

And last, a video.

Terraria 1.2 - Random Happenings

The update is shaping up to be quite impressive, with Tiy leaving and several new sprite artists coming in to pick up the slack. The update is probably going to hit sometime in August, and I'm pretty excited to see how the entirety of the update plays out. By the looks of it, there's also a lot more early/midgame content as opposed to just smashing a bunch of content on top of hardmode to artificially extend the game.

How are you guys taking the news that's been released about the update?

Moderator Notice:
Moderator notice:
I'm giving a forewarning right here, right now.

Terraria has been known to cause drama in the past. If it happens here again, infractions will be handed out quite liberally, and we will be doing this at our own discretion, regardless of whether or not the post in question goes 100% directly against the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back