SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2014   #1
MrBreada
 
MrBreada's Avatar
Default Any nostalgic systems?

This is like a "post your [whatever] here" forum post.


Anyways, to the point.

MY nostalgic systems are the Nintendo GameCube (as that is my very first system), the PlayStation 2 (as that was the system I played the most), and the Wii (every one of my family members has owned or played one; it's that popular)

So, what are you guys' nostalgic video game systems?
__________________
our game
MrBreada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #2
Wombatwarlord777
"...What?"
 
Wombatwarlord777's Avatar
Default

I was a Genesis kid. But all the games I really liked (Sonic, Aladdin, etc.) have been ported to other things, so I honestly don't miss it.

I have extreme fondness for the Sega Dreamcast, probably partly because it's the first system I purchased using some of my own money, and because I was absolutely enthralled with both of the Sonic Adventure games. I'd love to go back and try out some of the other games for that system (Jet Set Radio, Space Channel Five, Crazy Taxi, etc.), but my computer isn't powerful enough and I don't own any counsels that you can download those games for. Maybe someday...

I also really like the Gamecube, and that's where all of my favorite games are from. I loved Sonic Adventure Battle 2 (I have really good memories playing against my friends in versus mode), Viewtiful Joe, Paper Mario 2, Double Dash (Bob-omb Blast is the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer), Animal Crossing... I'd say from a nostalgia standpoint, it's probably my favorite counsel.

Finally, I like the Wii as well. I think it did what it did extremely well, and although there are relatively few games that really demonstrate this (Wii Play, Wii Resort, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess), it's really fun when the motion controls are properly implemented. It also has de Blob and its sequel, which is my favorite widget series.
__________________
I've changed my DevianTART account yet again, and developed a crappy role-playing element to boot!

Last edited by Wombatwarlord777; 07-26-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Wombatwarlord777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #3
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

I personally object to the inclusion of the Wii on these lists. The Wii came out only eight years ago, in 2006. Not only that, because of the length of the last console generation, the Wii is still alive, getting a small trickle of releases even still, with several upcoming releases still planned. If it's not even dead yet, I don't think it really qualifies for a list of nostalgic things.

Personally, my childhood was defined by the 16-bit wars between the Sega Genesis and the Super Nintendo. I wouldn't even be here if the Sega Genesis wasn't my first system as a child, and as the Genesis started to wane in the later years of the system, I got a Super Nintendo, which at the time was in the prime of its life (The pack-in cartridge was Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World, for the love of god). The SNES therefore has the most nostalgia for me because it's really hard to explain how world-changing it was going from the Sega Genesis to the Super Nintendo when SEGA had basically imploded into stupid expansion systems while the SNES was at its peak. While we all joke about Star Fox and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy now, at the time those graphics really were amazing, and the gameplay was pretty good as well.

Of course, by this point I've accumulated a huge stack of old systems and a huge stack of games for basically all of them. If a list is what you want, I have an NES, SNES, N64, GCN, PS1, PS2, Genesis, Dreamcast, Game Boy, Game Gear (lulz), and GBA SP, excluding systems that are still alive. I also picked up a Retro Duo Portable recently and have been significantly expanding my SNES collection, especially SFC games. Hell, just last night a friend and I were playing Seiken Densetsu 3 for hours on actual hardware. I probably just don't think of this stuff as nostalgic as much as the rest of you because I actually still use it frequently. These old systems still have a ton of games I haven't played, and as long as I haven't played it before, it's still new to me.

Last edited by Mystic; 07-26-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #4
MrBreada
 
MrBreada's Avatar
Default RE: Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I personally object to the inclusion of the Wii on these lists. The Wii came out only eight years ago, in 2006. Not only that, because of the length of the last console generation, the Wii is still alive, getting a small trickle of releases even still, with several upcoming releases still planned. If it's not even dead yet, I don't think it really qualifies for a list of nostalgic things.

Being born in 2001, I consider the Wii nostalgic any way. The reason for this is because most of the games I had for it are gone, and my fond memories are mostly on the Wii, such as discovering I had played Super Smash Bros. Brawl for over 8000 hours, completing New Super Mario Bros. Wii, or unlocking characters in the very obscure game, Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo.

My family was never on the money side, and so I never really got that many systems. What I did get, I cherished. It's sad that I lost my best games, though.
__________________
our game
MrBreada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #5
TheDoctor
 
TheDoctor's Avatar
Default

I have to agree with Mystic on this, the wii is very nostalgic for me. I recently rebuilt my bond with it, and it has been extremely worth it.

Also, the Sega Dreamcast is nostalgic for me, as well as the original xbox.

Question; is it sad that I can tell what system does what mechanical loading sound? Like the dreamcast does a bit of a metallic disk turning sound when it loads and goes: vuuuht, vught, vwt vwt, while the wii goes: teet, teet, tee teet, te te, or how the xbox goes duvt, duvt, dvt dvt dvt, dvuooooooo, woouu...?
__________________
Portal Disco Anyone?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVs...ature=youtu.be
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #6
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Something doesn't qualify as nostalgic just because you don't have it anymore. The word "nostalgic" means there's both a significant period of time and emotional investment in the past, and considering the Wii is still being sold new in retail stores, it seems a bit silly to use the word "nostalgic" when talking about it. I'm sure you have emotional investment in your memories of playing with it, but it simply hasn't been long enough for most people to qualify it as nostalgia. The Gamecube is just barely old enough to qualify at this point, and it was released in the year of your birth.

To give you a bit of perspective on the time spans involved here, when I was the same age as you, Ocarina of Time came out (1998). At that time, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were both four years old (1994). The original NES is as old as I am (1985) and it was barely starting to be talked about as nostalgic at that time, primarily fueled by emulation becoming viable around that time. It would have sounded incredibly silly for me to wax nostalgically about Sonic and Knuckles when it had been so recent at the time. Obviously at this point sixteen years have passed, so most people would call basically all of that stuff nostalgic if they had an emotional investment in it.

The reason I say this is two-fold:

1. Most adults will think you sound silly if you say something from only 2-3 years ago is nostalgic. The Wii had a long lifespan along with all the other systems from last gen, but considering how recent it is, you just sound silly. It's like you're waxing nostalgically on something that happened last Thursday =P
2. You probably don't want to advertise your age so blatantly. I knew you were 13 or less without you having to tell me because nobody above that age would try to pass off something so recent as nostalgia. Nostalgia is word you're probably better off waiting until adulthood to use when talking about your own memories.

Also, when you're almost thirty you'll have a pretty big collection of systems and games, too. It's not like I had a high budget either; I've just had over twice the time to accumulate them =P
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #7
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

I played Super Mario World when I was two years old. That and Super Bomberman 2 are the source of a lot of my nostalgia.

Can I just emphasize how fucking awesome the SNES was? Thing's like twenty years old and I'm still discovering great games for it.
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #8
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
I played Super Mario World when I was two years old.
That reminds me, I have a photo of myself playing Crash Bandicoot 2 on the Playstation when I was 3 years old. Needless to say, it was my first game ever and I still love it to this day.
__________________
My YouTube
Quote:
<toaster> i love when people make videos of my stuff
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #9
TheDoctor
 
TheDoctor's Avatar
Default

Well, I consider the wii to be nostalgic due to the games that I have since the wii's beginning.

Then again, I also have games on the my wii that were found on previous consoles, such as the Sonic Adventure series, couple 64 games, one Snes game, TONS of Genesis games that I've played long ago.

For me, Nostalgia qualifies as something from my past, which is re-experienced and returns great memories, or similar reactions/emotions from the era of said object, that triggers some sort of...can't find the word for it...allusion? A taste of a forgotten memory?
__________________
Portal Disco Anyone?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVs...ature=youtu.be
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #10
MrBreada
 
MrBreada's Avatar
Default RE: Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Something doesn't qualify as nostalgic just because you don't have it anymore.
Well, now that I know what "nostalgic" means, (I'm not very knowledgeable), I think I can say for sure what my nostalgic systems are now.

One of them, is the original Dreamcast, but that also comes with a painful memory. See, when I had that, I had a Pac-Man game. My sister (accidentally) stepped on the Dreamcast. It was broken, and the CD snapped in half.

Of course, GameCube will always remain on my nostalgic systems list.
__________________
our game
MrBreada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #11
TheDoctor
 
TheDoctor's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreada View Post
Well, now that I know what "nostalgic" means, (I'm not very knowledgeable), I think I can say for sure what my nostalgic systems are now.

One of them, is the original Dreamcast, but that also comes with a painful memory. See, when I had that, I had a Pac-Man game. My sister (accidentally) stepped on the Dreamcast. It was broken, and the CD snapped in half.

Of course, GameCube will always remain on my nostalgic systems list.
That reminds me of how my first dreamcast broke; me and my brother were playing SA2 Hero Story, and during the Pumpkin Hill level, my sister accidently walked onto the controller's cord, and the entire dreamcast fell with a great amount of force.

Luckly we got another dreamcast though :3. Still have it to today, fully working.
__________________
Portal Disco Anyone?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVs...ature=youtu.be
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #12
YevaEA
Christmas is coming
Default

My nostalgic consoles would be Playstation 1 and Sega Genesis. I grew up alongside classic Spyro the Dragon and Sonic the Hedgehog. I also spent much of my time in elementary school playing Pokemon Red on a Gameboy Advance SP.
YevaEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #13
Wombatwarlord777
"...What?"
 
Wombatwarlord777's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreada View Post
Well, now that I know what "nostalgic" means, (I'm not very knowledgeable), I think I can say for sure what my nostalgic systems are now.

One of them, is the original Dreamcast, but that also comes with a painful memory. See, when I had that, I had a Pac-Man game. My sister (accidentally) stepped on the Dreamcast. It was broken, and the CD snapped in half.
Damn dude, sorry about that!

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I've always liked gaming downloads: I've always had an (as of yet irrational) fear of accidently stepping on my game discs. I think part of this is because I've used cartridges for such a long time and those things are pretty durable. That and sometimes it's possible to back up downloads. Those are some of the reasons I love that some of the old Genesis games were released on Steam.
__________________
I've changed my DevianTART account yet again, and developed a crappy role-playing element to boot!
Wombatwarlord777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #14
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Yeah, I was like that too when we transitioned to CDs from cartridges, and I still treat discs like if their surface touches anything but the jewel case or the disc drive, it's going to be destroyed. Handle every disc like it's some kind of biohazard. Any time I see people just putting discs on a surface outside of a case it makes me cringe a bit inside.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014   #15
Jay
I'm lazy, let's face it
 
Jay's Avatar
Default

I'd definitely say my most nostalgic consoles were the PS1, Gamecube, or PC (if that even counts). When I was around two or three, I always played MediEvil and MediEvil II, even if I was too young to understand what was going on in the story (although I remember having a bit of understanding). I also remembered playing Quake III Arena on PC around that time (parents weren't really that strict) and spent loads of time on Smash Bros. Melee and the Sonic Adventure series (two of my favorite GCN games). Of course, a couple of these are available on Steam now (SADX for example) so I may need to look into playing them again.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #16
MrBreada
 
MrBreada's Avatar
Default RE: Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'd definitely say my most nostalgic consoles were the PS1, Gamecube, or PC (if that even counts).
The PC has been considered a gaming console since it was introduced, as there were things like the ColecoVision and Commodore 64.
__________________
our game
MrBreada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #17
UltimaXtreme
RENEWAL
 
UltimaXtreme's Avatar
Default

In my hand at nostalgia, I'm gonna state out mine to be the Game Boy Advance, the Gamecube, and the Sega Genesis.

My very first experience in gaming was with a copy of Sonic Adventure on a Dreamcast my brother had borrowed. I believe that set the pace, and soon enough, I had a nice, large TV in my closet, with the Genesis sitting near it. Oh, the games. Sonic, Bubsy, Jurassic Park, Vectorman, the 6-Pak containing Super Hang-on and Columns, GOD THAT WAS AWESOME.

The GBA came up next, and man, that was sweet. The pearl white original, I had a charging pack to replace the batteries, I had the little light attachment because that screen was crap. Rayman Advance, Super Mario Advance, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon... I loved that thing. Then I ruined it one day trying to clean it and water dribbled through the start button. BOOM. Screen looked like it shattered internally. Got a GBA SP later on, black, scored Pokemon Sapphire with it.

Gamecube was a great one, played the hell out of it, and still have games from when I had it, mostly since the Wii transition meant I didn't need to lose them. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Viewtiful Joe, Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, oh the fantastic experiences.

I did also have an N64, where I discovered my one true love: Destruction Derby 64... okay, three true loves. That one, Star Wars Ep.1 Racer, and Majora's Mask.

I also have a PS2 that I got semi-fond with, but it never really picked up nostalgia the same way as the other ones, plus I still religiously play my PS2 ever since I modded it.

I've also brought back my Dreamcast enjoyment, having gotten Dreamshell and an SD reader for more modded fun, though it seems to have become my closest thing to a NES at any rate. Sad that I play more Captain Skyhawk and Solar Jet-man on it than things like Jet Set Radio or Zombie Revenge.

EDIT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I personally object to the inclusion of the Wii on these lists. The Wii came out only eight years ago, in 2006. Not only that, because of the length of the last console generation, the Wii is still alive, getting a small trickle of releases even still, with several upcoming releases still planned. If it's not even dead yet, I don't think it really qualifies for a list of nostalgic things.
By this logic though, you can't technically refer to a Dreamcast or a PS2 as nostalgic then, because titles are still being made for it. True, they're indie, and the Dreamcast doesn't get that oh-so-public word out, but still, we can't really rely on this sense for nostalgia's sake.
__________________
Youtube! Click! Now.

Quote:
<HellHawkX> depends
<Inkoishi> you really can shit

Last edited by UltimaXtreme; 07-30-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Gotta say this.
UltimaXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #18
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

I figured "commercial" was unnecessary, considering if things like that counted the NES would also still count. There are still actual companies making shovelware for the Wii and releasing it at retail, and you can still buy a Wii new at retail. It's still alive, albeit not for long. I suspect this holiday season will be its last.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #19
Maximus Universal
dat dere kiirby
 
Maximus Universal's Avatar
Default

My first ever Console and games were my brother's Sega Genesis and the original Sonic Trilogy. I would be a Call of Duty Derp if I didn't find it.
__________________
ThAt'S tHe nAmE yOu sHoUld kNoW
Maximus Universal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #20
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes
 
CobaltBW's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
It's still alive, albeit not for long. I suspect this holiday season will be its last.
It's just taking a while for the WiiU to finally phase it out. With the new Smash Bros. and other titles coming out, I give it next summer, tops.
__________________
~CobaltBW

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.