[Open Assets] Checkered Zig Zags, a graphics replacement! (CheckeredZigZags.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

TheCrowbar

Generally Unimportant
Checkered Zig Zags is a simple graphics replacement wad with the intent of making SRB2 a bit more interesting and colorful!

I attempted to keep the overall "feel" that the original SRB2 had while still making things flashy enough so that it all doesn't seem too samey. You can also expect some resemblances to a couple of other Sonic games!

Instructions:
"CZZTitleCards.wad" and "CZZRings.wad":
CZZTitleCards and CZZRings are wads with the previous Title Card and ring-shaped Match Ring graphics. In order to use them, you should first add the main "CheckeredZigZags.wad" and then add the desired wad. There's no problem with using them by themselves if you want to, though!

Save Files:
Version 1.6 of CheckeredZigZags allows you to save your game in a separate save file. If you don't want to completely start a new game just for the wad, you can copy and rename your "gamedata.dat" save file into "czzsave.dat" in order to keep your records and emblem progress. Note, however, that .ssg files (which are the actual save slots for zone progress) cannot be renamed in the same way.
GIFs:
TitleScreen.gif

PlayerSelect.gif

In-Game.gif

Multiplayer.gif
Changelog:
v1.6:
EDITED:
-Pretty much everything

ADDED:
-CEZ & CTF Flag Textures
-Team Match's Team Icons
-Diagonal Springs
-Spikes
-Ability to save the game
-Custom animation states for: Starposts, Ring Sparkles, Rings & Match Rings, Ring Panels

FIXED:
- Race Countdown's offsets

REMOVED:
- Life Icons
- Dripping water
- Rain water splash
- Invincibility Sparkles

v1.5a:
EDITED:
- Monitors
- BSZ's Tulips
- Emblem for Ring collecting

ADDED:
-Graphics for CTF's HUD Flags.

v1.5:
EDITED:
- Monitors
- Springs
- End Plate
- Title Cards' Numbers
- Super Sparkle
- CTF Mode's Flags
- Tag Mode's "IT" icon
- NiGHTS Mode's third help screen
- The Title Screen's background

FIXED:
- The missing Starpost frame added in the 2.1.15 patch.

v1.4:
EDITED:
- Title Cards

ADDED:
- CEZ's Ceiling Chains
- Ideya Capture
- Super Sparkles
- Invincibility Sparkles

FIXED:
- CZZRings.wad using the wrong graphic for the Rail Ring's HUD icon.

v1.3:
EDITED:
- Match rings
- HUD numbers

- Minor improvements regarding the file size.
- "CZZTitleCards.wad" and "CZZRings.wad" are now available. They use the previous title card and ring-shaped match rings graphics, respectively. Instructions above.

v1.2:
- There's now a "CheckeredZigZagsX" wad inside the rar, this one doesn't have annoying title cards.

v1.1:
ADDED:
- Help screens.

REMOVED:
- SRB2's Ideya Capture sprites.

Attachments

• CheckeredZigZags_v1.6.rar
    315.5 KB · Views: 2,414
  • CheckeredZigZags_v1.5a.rar
    281.7 KB · Views: 1,267
Last edited:
This looks like a similar wad i have seen. I reall like the look of the Level headers though! And match HUD looks pretty intresting

EDIT: The weapon rings for me let it down. I prefer the normal weapon rings to your ones

Last edited:
I love the new title screen and the HUD reminds me of fangames like Sonic After the Sequel. I love that. Heh. Nice work!

This is just beautiful, I especially love how the character select portraits join up together. I'm gonna be using this all the time from now on. Keep it up!

I LOVE the HUD and the use of SK3.wad's chat textures!
I have also noticed a mixture of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 textures.

I think this is a pretty solid graphics mod for SRB2. I do have some concerns about some stuff. For starters, the attempted title card for each level is a nice touch but it's in the way of what's ahead if you just want to start playing the level immediately. Also I would do something with the HUD numbers since it looks a little flat in my opinion.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good for the most part. Really like the character select portraits with the checkered zig zags. I don't know if there is a graphic for it or not but is it possible to mess with the blue dialogue boxes as shown below?

nSZPo.png

I think this is a pretty solid graphics mod for SRB2. I do have some concerns about some stuff. For starters, the attempted title card for each level is a nice touch but it's in the way of what's ahead if you just want to start playing the level immediately. Also I would do something with the HUD numbers since it looks a little flat in my opinion.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good for the most part. Really like the character select portraits with the checkered zig zags. I don't know if there is a graphic for it or not but is it possible to mess with the blue dialogue boxes as shown below?

Yeah, the title card was a big issue. I just choose to keep it in because it vanishes in two seconds (...And was also a slight pain in the ass to make.), sorry!

The reason for the HUD numbers looking like that is that if I made them any bigger, stuff in the act results would look mixed up.

As for the dialogue box... I'm really not sure. I didn't see the graphics for it anywhere, so I'm pretty certain that I can't. Unless I use LUA or something.. But at that point it wouldn't be just a "simple" replacement.

But, thanks!
In fact, thanks to everyone for the kind words! I was really nervous this wasn't going to get a good reaction out of the people here... Glad I was wrong.

You can change the text in the blue dialogue boxes for each character using SOC, but if you mean change how it looks on the character select screen... yeah you're out of luck. Lua can't modify that screen at all.

All right! Since editing blue boxes isn't possible here's something that is!

Numbers.png

I don't know if the numbers are better but... The annoying title card doesn't get in your face anymore! This seems like an overall improvement, however, for people that still like the older one, I would put two wads inside the rar, one with the title cards and one without.

Also...

AutoRingMaybe.png

What if the match rings were based on the original SRB2's? Would that be better? This is just a quick thing that I made, so the lighting isn't the best... The final product would look much better! Hopefully!

But please tell me what your thoughts are!

Also...

View attachment 7740

What if the match rings were based on the original SRB2's? Would that be better? This is just a quick thing that I made, so the lighting isn't the best... The final product would look much better! Hopefully!

But please tell me what your thoughts are!

Yeah these rings work well and they suit the style of your look

Last edited:
I have to say that this thing looks extremely good, it reminds me a lot of the Sonic BTS/ATS and Chrono Adventures thingies, I love it!

I guess my only complaint would be that the level start HUD covers too much of the screen; it's hard to see where you are going because the act number banner covers a huge part of the screen. Other than that, it's extremely good, keep up the good work!

There you go! Since that was just a quick and painless thing to do I decided to release it already! (No change in the HUD numbers, though. It would mess things up!)

However, on the topic about the match rings... I know they might not look especially eye-catching at their current state but, I've kinda grown to like them a lot. And I just want to make sure that before I start a whole overhaul on them, that others don't also think they're fine as well.

'Cause I really don't want to have like... what? Four different flavor of wads compressed in a rar with minor changes to appeal to everyone... That just seems way too much of a mess. Soooo... Thoughts?

There you go! Since that was just a quick and painless thing to do I decided to release it already! (No change in the HUD numbers, though. It would mess things up!)

However, on the topic about the match rings... I know they might not look especially eye-catching at their current state but, I've kinda grown to like them a lot. And I just want to make sure that before I start a whole overhaul on them, that others don't also think they're fine as well.

'Cause I really don't want to have like... what? Four different flavor of wads compressed in a rar with minor changes to appeal to everyone... That just seems way too much of a mess. Soooo... Thoughts?

Here's something fun to try: Maybe you can get someone to help you code in commands to change the sprites. Remove the banners, change the numbers from the small ones to the BTSATS ones, etc.

Well, you can't please everyone in the long run. Just have one wad with the actual content in it while having archived mirrors somewhere else.

The reason for the HUD numbers looking like that is that if I made them any bigger, stuff in the act results would look mixed up.

You don't have to make the sprites for the number necessarily bigger in order to make it not look flat. Just apply some shading to the numbers. If it does have to come down to making some of the HUD graphics bigger, you can try aligning them yourself in the MAINCFG. I would suggest taking a look at THIS if it does come down to it.

I really like the title card visually. Couldn't you just move the banner off to the side so you're not completely obstructing the player's vision, or just make it transparent? Or do both?

Well, you can't please everyone in the long run. Just have one wad with the actual content in it while having archived mirrors somewhere else.

Yeah... But since there's so few differences between versions, I think I'll leave just the title cards and the old rings sprites in a separate wads, as an optional thing for those who want it. They would have a tiny file size, as well!

You don't have to make the sprites for the number necessarily bigger in order to make it not look flat. Just apply some shading to the numbers.

About that!
I've been working on a few possible solutions to the numbers:
NumbersMaybe.png

Here's a few shapes and shading types to the numbers!
I was hoping you guys would help choose what combination looks the best.

Also, the match rings are almost done! The rail ring is the only one unfinished at the moment, I still have to update do the plates, GUI and help screens but that's easy enough.
Preview to hopefully make things interesting, maybe:
Rings.gif

I really like the title card visually. Couldn't you just move the banner off to the side so you're not completely obstructing the player's vision, or just make it transparent? Or do both?

I could move it by just changing the offsets, but it would also move it on the act end screen as well... Not to mention that in stages with longer names the title card wouldn't appear at all!

Making it transparent might be possible, but probably only by using LUA. Since that's not my thing, well...
I'm kinda curious on how it would look, though. Since it would depend on SRB2's palette to determine the colors... It could either look surprisingly good or predictably awful.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back