A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheDoctor pretty much has it, SRB3 could never possibly top SRB2 popularity-wise. =P

I couldn't see the current STJr following up SRB2 with a sequel anyway, it's taken waaay too long to complete SRB2 as it is.

I've lost my patience with 2.2!!! 2015 is coming to an end and it's taking over 9000 fucking days!!!

This isn't the first time Murilo has complained about 2.2 taking forever to finish. I'd suggest we move on from discussing his post since the user in question is currently tempbanned anyway.

srb20022.gif

ok

That's an actual sea, I guess?

Uhh... I actually see this GIF my first time and I have to say I am impressed. This is no longer the SRB2 that I've known for about 4 years or something like that.

Deep Sea Zone Jokes

Doesn't look too deep, though. I mean I can see the surface right there.
I guess we should call it Shallow Sea Zone, since it is shallow. If you put sea and zone together, it sounds like season. I'm going to love the 2.2 Deep Sea Zone.

Last edited:
What, the Doom engine? It's super easy to mod, that's not the holdup. The holdup is this is a hobby project, not our main jobs - so we're not exactly pouring our time into it.

Believe you me, if we were using a different engine we wouldn't have half the game content we have done now.

Blame doom engine for it.

I think you're jumping to conclusions there. It's mostly the devs having lives, jobs, worries, all sorts of other things getting in the way of development. Additionally, they are not immune to the allure of the latest trendy games (e.g.: Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Undertale).

...I get the niggling feeling we've gone over this before in other threads, but that might be just me.

caek

If you guys got $1 everytime you explained this, chances are you could go buy a cheap cake to party about it. Please take a chocolate one and invite me

Also I still wouldn't see SRB2 in another engine; it's pretty unique, well made (minus current netcode, I know this's been said thousands of times, but this is the sad truth) unlike these... Blitz Sonic thingies with part-broken physics and all, and heh, would devs really go trash a 10+ years work just because people want SRB2 on another engine...?

Making custom content isn't really developer friendly is one of the big problems.

It could be a whole lot worse, though, and I can't think of many ways it could reasonably be better. Lua is easy to get used to if you know C, Java, Python, or any other general-purpose programming language; SOC is basically a matter of filling in numerical fields once you know what the various properties are, and all of the overcomplicated hacks you had to use back in 2.0 are now obsolete thanks to Lua; and Doom Builder is probably the easiest "3D" level designing program out there, considering you only have to draw in two dimensions. Again, switching to a new engine, especially a fully 3D one, would probably make everything more complicated and time-consuming, not less.

I can vouch on the time-consuming part as I've remade just the maps of Green Flower and some sectors had to be broken down into more than one brush.

It could be a whole lot worse, though, and I can't think of many ways it could reasonably be better. Lua is easy to get used to if you know C, Java, Python, or any other general-purpose programming language; SOC is basically a matter of filling in numerical fields once you know what the various properties are, and all of the overcomplicated hacks you had to use back in 2.0 are now obsolete thanks to Lua; and Doom Builder is probably the easiest "3D" level designing program out there, considering you only have to draw in two dimensions. Again, switching to a new engine, especially a fully 3D one, would probably make everything more complicated and time-consuming, not less.

Basically this. I went into SRB2 Doom Builder with no clue at all as to what I was doing, if not stubbornly refusing to accept its way to build maps at first, and I still made a working, finished map in SRB2 with tons of FOFs, switch-activated doors, water, and transparent windows during the 1.09.4 versions. I lost it some time last year thanks to not backing it up enough times. (It was more of a personal achievement than something substantially impressive anyway.)

I didn't use Doom Builder much after my first attempt at mapping, but learning how to use it was no problem at all; I don't regret it. The SRB2 Wiki showed me how to do anything I couldn't learn on my own. Once you figure out how to use FOFs, the rest is a matter of how clever you are with the flagging system to do all kinds of complex tricks. I appreciated its simplicity, and the SRB2 variant makes it much easier to develop maps with lots of water.

So suggesting making content for this thing is hard is like saying hammering nails is hard, while using a sponge duct-taped to a frozen fish instead of a hammer. Art assets and fun level design are the real beasts that are difficult to master, as with any other game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back