• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Sonic in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloy1

I took an original sprite of the SRB2 Sonic and doubled his size, re-traced it and this is what I came up with. This took me 1.5 hours to do.

From this:
PLAYA1.bmp

To this:
HDSONIC1.bmp

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
He just looks bigger with less detail and his feet looking weird. You may want to check your reference again.

Ok, I worked on the first one a little more.
Does this look any better?

HDSONIC2.bmp

Plus my second one:

HDSONIC3.bmp

On the front sprite, try making the spines coming from the side a bit thicker downwards, and you may want to copy the entire style of shading rather than making your own.

Also, I don't know if the hidef option in character WADs exist anymore, nor is this really needed in game.

The hi-def option does still exist.
Also I'm just making it for fun since I have nothing better to do.

playa1.bmp
playa2a8.bmp
playa3a7.bmp
playa4a6.bmp
playa5.bmp

The thing about hand-drawn sprites is that you scale them down from the colored scans. If it wasn't for half of knuckles being sprited by Chrispy, I'm sure we'd not only have the full set of regulation high-res sprites available, but SRB2 would use them by default.

Well hopefully Knuckles could a some point be Drawn like Sonic and Tails, then we COULD use these..

but didn't SSNTails lose most of the originals? I saw plenty of aniGIFs before, but I coulda sworn some of the original art was lost at some point. Perhaps have HD Sonic as an addon?

So, you made Sonic fat.
Well now I know FOR SURE that Sega is copying Nintendo

I don't get it. You're trying to make an "HD" sprite set, but you clearly don't have the ability to this adequately. You've wasted hours on only one sprite so far, and it's blotchy, amateurish, and unquestionably worse than the original.

You're not going to be able to finish this.

snip
...Originally Sonic did have some sort of a belly then over the years he apparently lost weight.

Yeah, you're missing the point. There's no denying that the classic Sonic depiction involved a round belly. However, this sprite in question just looks chunky.

True, although its the chunkiness that the current sonic lacks. Of course that sprite is too chunky.

True what? Given the rest of your post, you clearly managed to misinterpret my post yet AGAIN.

The classic Sonic/SRB2 depiction has a round belly that's consistent in shape almost all around. The TC's take is definitely not the same here- it widens out near the bottom, giving it a droopy shape that's only further accentuated by the thick legs and shoddy outline. Chunky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back