Maybe Mega Man's Death is a Good Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreada

Also known as David G.
I mean, at least he didn't end up like Sonic is now, right?

And many fans dislike Mega Man X6 and beyond. Would we like it if Mega Man X9 came out without Keiji Inafune's direction, and ended up a mess? How would fans react then?

Mega Man, Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, and Mega Man ZX altogether add up to well over twenty games, and not even counting the non-platformer series! Why not appreciate the older ones before begging for a new one?

Mega Man is just an IP. Spiritually he still lives on through Mighty No. 9.

The REAL question is where's Bomberman?

No it isn't! After keiji infaune leaving, capcom got lazy and very bad. I still wait for x9 and I still wait from capcom to add UMX. He have in his DeviantArt amazing drawings and cool animations. In this moment, he is doing sprites for zx3 (ultimus).

Last edited:
Capcom are still re-releasing Mega Man games on Nintendo's Virtual Console, and he made an appearance in Smash Bros that brought waves of hype. He's far from dead, they're simply not utilizing him to the same extent that they used to, or need to. Even SEGA knows better than to stop producing games of their mascot.

There's no telling why that is without being an insider in their corporate culture, either. The demand for Megaman is obviously there, they can't be blind to it because of the Internet, Smash Bros, and Kickstarters like Mighty No. 9. (Some fans are severely worried it's going to fall flat from limited feedback. Apparently, the last community director was a jerk.)

Mega Man is just an IP. Spiritually he still lives on through Mighty No. 9.

The REAL question is where's Bomberman?

Poor Bomberman. Whole video game accessories were more or less created for multiplayer parties because of that series. Has he made a comeback on the WiiU, maybe? Seems like the perfect console for that, as you could dongle as many wireless devices as the system can support.

Capcom are still re-releasing Mega Man games on Nintendo's Virtual Console, and he made an appearance in Smash Bros that brought waves of hype. He's far from dead, they're simply not utilizing him to the same extent that they used to, or need to. Even SEGA knows better than to stop producing games of their mascot.

Rereleasing games on VC is not the same as using the IP for serious commercial ventures. Capcom had shut down four projects with Mega Man's name in the past five or so years with nothing to fill the gap, and Keiji Inafune left the company and specifically started his own Mega Man successor, so he looks pretty dead to me. All his appearance in Smash Bros. means to me is that they're milking him one last time before they stop utilizing him for good, since it's pretty obvious Capcom doesn't see a marketable franchise in new Mega Man games.

Poor Bomberman. Whole video game accessories were more or less created for multiplayer parties because of that series. Has he made a comeback on the WiiU, maybe? Seems like the perfect console for that, as you could dongle as many wireless devices as the system can support.

Ask Konami, because I haven't seen shit.

Rereleasing games on VC is not the same as using the IP for serious commercial ventures. Capcom had shut down four projects with Mega Man's name in the past five or so years with nothing to fill the gap, and Keiji Inafune left the company and specifically started his own Mega Man successor, so he looks pretty dead to me. All his appearance in Smash Bros. means to me is that they're milking him one last time before they stop utilizing him for good, since it's pretty obvious Capcom doesn't see a marketable franchise in new Mega Man games.

If he was dead, they would be delisting Mega Man games instead of cashing in on his legacy. That's about as far as I'd argue that point, though. He's basically as undead as Banjo and Kazooie are.

It would be disheartening if they saw no marketable value in the IP these days. When Kickstarters like Yooka-Laylee getting funded in less than 45 Minutes, and pretty much any Mario game having never bombed in sales, the demand is obviously there.

I'll never understand the consistent push for realism most video game companies have been doing from the beginning. Realism is cool, but it doesn't have to also invalidate cartoon styles in the process. Cartoon styled games can be prettier and more detailed than they've ever been on past hardware, and from the beginning, they have generally aged better than each generation's attempt at realism. Metal Gear Solid 1 anyone?

If he was dead, they would be delisting Mega Man games instead of cashing in on his legacy. That's about as far as I'd argue that point, though. He's basically as undead as Banjo and Kazooie are.

That would be the same as saying classic Sonic isn't dead because SEGA keeps rereleasing the Genesis games. To an extent that would be true since they're making money off of Sonic 1-3 still, but that doesn't mean you're ever going to get a real Sonic 4 that isn't an offensive mockery of the original formula.

Konami can barely be bothered to put out heavy hitters like Silent Hill and seem to be having trouble with MGS. By the looks of it Bomberman's going down with them.

In any case, better that Megaman die out than become a joke. I doubt MN9 will really carry the spirit, seeing how the game is shaping up.

I'll never understand the consistent push for realism most video game companies have been doing from the beginning. Realism is cool, but it doesn't have to also invalidate cartoon styles in the process. Cartoon styled games can be prettier and more detailed than they've ever been on past hardware, and from the beginning, they have generally aged better than each generation's attempt at realism. Metal Gear Solid 1 anyone?

I believe a lot of this stems from simply what ends up selling the most based on the target audience. There are really good games out there that have very fun and colorful graphics to them, but not everyone is attracted to that. I think Nintendo games in particular can keep up with this kind of style since most of their games are aimed at a family-friendly level. Everything else seems to be targeted at an older and more mature audience and I believe the more realistic style reflects that.

I'll always reference the 32x game Tempo if anyone seems to get the idea that cartoon-styled games aren't as good looking or as polished as modern day games. Just Tempo alone has enough animation to make you really adore whatever it is he's doing, and the style of the entire game is really unique and near impossible to find in many other games.

I don't know if anyone noticed, But the Misadventures of Tron Bonne was released on the PSN Store yesterday for the USA. (PSP, PSV, PS3)

I honestly wasn't expecting this to happen.

I think Capcom separates the Trons from Legends from megaman entirely. Like it's a separate entity. Plus she was in MvC iirc?

Although it occurs to me they may never re-release/reboot/remake the Megaman Zero series because of Zero in them looking different from his design in MvC (And I guess the 1DS collection is the final nail in the coffin? idk). I just have a funny feeling that MvC is their central cash cow, and all branches directly related are the only things that "will sell".

Although it'd be great if we got a new megaman game starring the box-cover guy. Or horrifying.

That would be the same as saying classic Sonic isn't dead because SEGA keeps rereleasing the Genesis games. To an extent that would be true since they're making money off of Sonic 1-3 still, but that doesn't mean you're ever going to get a real Sonic 4 that isn't an offensive mockery of the original formula.

Well, there was Sonic Generations, yet, they make it very clear that they could do Classic Sonic and won't; a huge tease. Every Sonic Classic besides Sonic 3 has been remastered as well, which isn't quite as simple as repacking a ROM into an emulator. (Sonic 3 has some legal humps to get over, and Taxman has moved on to his own original project for now.)

You have to admit, Classic Sonic's looking slightly less undead over there, but that still doesn't change your point by much. As much as a new classic would be ideal, I just want another 2D Sonic in general; the Classic or Modern art styles don't make a difference for me. I finally own all three Sonic Advance games, as well as a new copy of Sonic Rush again, and I still have things to love about each of them, flaws and all; (Not that the Classics were perfect either.) I'd be happy to see more like them with the bigger screens that portable consoles have now.

Last edited:
Well, there was Sonic Generations, yet, they make it very clear that they could do Classic Sonic and won't; a huge tease. Every Sonic Classic besides Sonic 3 has been remastered as well, which isn't quite as simple as repacking a ROM into an emulator. (Sonic 3 has some legal humps to get over, and Taxman has moved on to his own original project for now.)

You have to admit, Classic Sonic's looking slightly less undead over there.

You use the word "remaster" rather ambiguously. The most SEGA has ever done to a port is either create mock-HD support by smoothing out the pixels or adding a couple features to mobile ports. The one exception is CD which actually had an accessible PC port with features like looping music tracks and both US/Jap soundtrack support, with a remodeled gameplay engine that's almost to the tee to what was made back then.

An actual "remaster" would be a recreation of the original game with legitimately enhanced graphics, music, and so on. Like Maverick Hunter X. (Bad example of a good idea, but regardless.) Fanmade Sonic games like Sonic 2 HD fall under this of course, and games like Before the Sequel give us something that actually feels closer to Sonic 4 than SEGA has ever come up with, but that's basically it. Literally the only thing keeping classic Sonic alive is the fanbase itself.

All Sonic Generation's classic gameplay did was temporarily shock Classic Sonic back to life so that they could use his gameplay as yet another commercial gimmick. Generations was a oneoff -- just like every goddamn engine Sonic Team or Dimps has created in the past decade. The only gameplay system they've kept since then for more than two games is Unleashed Day and Sonic Rush, and the former has only seen usage in three games, two of which it was forced to share half of the spotlight. To assume at this point that classic Sonic might be coming back and isn't completely botched, especially given SEGA's track record, is optimistic but pretty naive. It's clear to me that SEGA already decided a long time ago that Sonic's classic formula is only worth introducing for an Anniversary cash grab.

As much as a new classic would be ideal, I just want another 2D Sonic in general; the Classic or Modern art styles don't make a difference for me. I finally own all three Sonic Advance games, as well as a new copy of Sonic Rush again, and I still have things to love about each of them, flaws and all; (Not that the Classics were perfect either.) I'd be happy to see more like them with the bigger screens that portable consoles have now.

I honestly like Sonic Advance 1, if only because of Amy being a playable character. Amy felt like a fresh take on a classic gameplay formula, and I wish SEGA played around with gimmicks of that nature. That being said, I dislike Sonic Advance 2 for a multitude of reasons, but the biggest is that it feels like Pre-Sonic Rush and not Classic Sonic. The different characters besides Cream don't even matter because exploration takes a backseat to platformer speedrunning. I know some people on here who like 3, but to me it felt too messy -- like it was mixing SA1 level design with SA2 physics, and the AI was laughably bad to where I wish it just wasn't there.

If I were to ask for a 2d Sonic, it would be one that's in the same vein as Sonic Advance 1 -- that follows the classic formula closely, has physics that are more balanced than Generations', and new gameplay gimmicks that actually make it feel like a NEW classic Sonic game. I won't hold my breath for that though, for hopefully obvious reasons.

And yes, I know some insanely OCD maniacs will find the most trivial reasons to hate them, but this is Sonic we're talking about here, a one-button platformer with a walking pinball; not a convoluted, complex fighting game for arcade pros. (A few pixels difference in jump height was enough for the creator of Sonic Fan Remix to moan about, and I felt ashamed for this fanbase that his opinions made it into a big-name magazine.)

So I hope to the high heavens that the Mega Man fanbase is far better off than this awful punching-bag-of-the-Internet that we call the Sonic fanbase.

Sonic's fanbase is a byproduct of the games that have been produced, just like any other fanbase out there. The Smash Bros. community is split between competitive and casual play, and it's just now coming to terms with that because the developers have acknowledged and tried to please both sides (and it did a pretty good job, whether or not 4 is as truly competitive as Melee was). Sonic's fanbase, on the other hand is a mess because SEGA's games are messes. Laughable storylines and characters (ironically, not sincerely), shitty gameplay in literally half of Sonic's outtings, and absolutely no sense of gameplay identity outside of the vague "fast" and "platforming" tropes -- the former of which is challenged by outtings like Unleashed and Rise of Lyric. Sonic gets the bottom of the barrel in terms of fans because, who honestly wants to associate themselves with such an atrocious franchise unless they grew up with it?

Megaman's fanbase is tamer in comparison because its predictable formulas create stability between different fans so long as you don't bring... Battle Network up, or something else that would rile up retro purists. In fact, I don't think an outsider would really think much of that fanbase, besides maybe some pity for the fact that the fans have been getting shafted so much recently with a barrage of cancelled projects. On the other hand, that same outsider scoffs at the Sonic fanbase for being the laughingstock that it is, because outside of a few pockets that aren't deviantArt, it really is that bad.

Looks like I didn't remove my silly side tangent in time. =P Ah well, I should've thought to edit my post sooner.

CobaltBW said:
You use the word "remaster" rather ambiguously. The most SEGA has ever done to a port is either create mock-HD support by smoothing out the pixels or adding a couple features to mobile ports. The one exception is CD which actually had an accessible PC port with features like looping music tracks and both US/Jap soundtrack support, with a remodeled gameplay engine that's almost to the tee to what was made back then.

"Remaster" is what everyone at Sonic Retro calls it, so that's why I called it that. If you're unaware, Taxman/Stealth have given Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 the same treatment they did for Sonic CD. You can believe me when I say they went above and beyond to produce definitive versions of those games. More paths were added to the layouts, and even the music was re-recorded. I dunno if my ears are fooling me, but certain instruments that were too faint before got a chance to shine. Not to mention Hidden Palace Zone is in Sonic 2, Hidden Palace Zone.

CobaltBW said:
All Sonic Generation's classic gameplay did was temporarily shock Classic Sonic back to life so that they could use his gameplay as yet another commercial gimmick. Generations was a oneoff -- just like every goddamn engine Sonic Team or Dimps has created in the past decade. The only gameplay system they've kept since then for more than two games is Unleashed Day and Sonic Rush, and the former has only seen usage in three games, two of which it was forced to share half of the spotlight. To assume at this point that classic Sonic might be coming back and isn't completely botched, especially given SEGA's track record, is optimistic but pretty naive. It's clear to me that SEGA already decided a long time ago that Sonic's classic formula is only worth introducing for an Anniversary cash grab.

Basically the long winded version of what I said. They could recreate the classic game play if they wanted to, although they don't care or feel inspired to, like the fans do.

CobaltBW said:
I honestly like Sonic Advance 1, if only because of Amy being a playable character. Amy felt like a fresh take on a classic gameplay formula, and I wish SEGA played around with gimmicks of that nature. That being said, I dislike Sonic Advance 2 for a multitude of reasons, but the biggest is that it feels like Pre-Sonic Rush and not Classic Sonic. The different characters besides Cream don't even matter because exploration takes a backseat to platformer speedrunning. I know some people on here who like 3, but to me it felt too messy -- like it was mixing SA1 level design with SA2 physics, and the AI was laughably bad to where I wish it just wasn't there.

Sonic Advance 1 is as close to a Sonic 4 as you can get, and its the most balanced of the three Advance games. I think it would be any other run of the mill Sonic game if not for Amy, however; that was its saving grace for me. (In fact, I specifically wanted SA1 for Christmas instead of SA2 because of her.) Because I've played as Sonic with Tails following behind before, and I'd get bored two zones in before stopping to switch to Amy. The stages are simply too much fun with her.

I agree Sonic Advance 2 had its problems, and what exploration there was felt forced with those awful Red Rings. I gave up trying to collect all the emeralds to unlock Amy, because I knew I'd be so sick of the game by the time I did that, that I wouldn't be able to enjoy her. The way she played had changed anyway, and it's awkward seeing her spin dash.

Sonic Advance 3's biggest problem was its smallest one: the screen resolution. It had these massive, huge layouts with lots to see and do, which is why I get the most substance out of it versus the other two games. However, the GBA's tiny screen felt suffocating, as you couldn't go very far without that fear of probably walking right to your death. (Sonic Rush addressed this extremely well by using both of the DS's fairly larger screens; I'd say the game would be impossible to enjoy otherwise.)

Collecting the chaos were a nasty chore, so I still haven't unlocked the true ending. I'm just happy they didn't make Amy the incentive to get all the Emeralds that time. It's a real shame, because I enjoy the special stages in Sonic Advance 3. Getting to them is such a massive pain in the butt.

CobaltBW said:
Sonic's fanbase is a byproduct of the games that have been produced, just like any other fanbase out there. The Smash Bros. community is split between competitive and casual play, and it's just now coming to terms with that because the developers have acknowledged and tried to please both sides (and it did a pretty good job, whether or not 4 is as truly competitive as Melee was). Sonic's fanbase, on the other hand is a mess because SEGA's games are messes. Laughable storylines and characters (ironically, not sincerely), shitty gameplay in literally half of Sonic's outtings, and absolutely no sense of gameplay identity outside of the vague "fast" and "platforming" tropes -- the former of which is challenged by outtings like Unleashed and Rise of Lyric. Sonic gets the bottom of the barrel in terms of fans because, who honestly wants to associate themselves with such an atrocious franchise unless they grew up with it?

A pretty sensible observation. It's exactly why I'm not too comfortable playing Sonic games on a portable in public, because the last thing I need is to be painted as some pessimistic, awkward, one-dimensional Sonic worshiper that looks at Amy Rule 34, much to the concern of his parents for not at least looking up real porn, and still lives with said parents because he lost job by defacing a Sonic Boom poster and macing a customer. "BLUE ARMS, BLUE ARMS, BLUUUUUUUUUUE ARMS."

I mean, it's shallow to broadly judge somebody based on a stereotype, although stereotypes are created by people perpetuating them in the first place. So there is truth to them, whether or not somebody realizes, "Hmm, maybe this particular British person might punch me instead if I ask him if he's a Doctor Who fan.".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back