Suggestions

Yeah, that goof was my fault, I introduced it by accident in the early 2.1 patches so I recall. It's going to be fixed for 2.1.20 though.

But yeah, I could implement a deliberate inverting behaviour, but I'm not sure we should bother with that for 2.1 tbh. (2.2 though on the other hand, sure, I'll sort something out)

Last edited:
I'm sure i'm not the first one to think about this, there's even a mod that added this, It would be nice if characters gained speed by running down slopes, similar to most Sonic games, not just by spinning.

In the classic Sonic games, holding down on the D-pad as you hit the ground made you immediately go into a spin. It would be convenient if holding the Spin button as you hit the ground in SRB2 did the same thing, especially since 2.2 will make spinning more useful by introducing slopes to the vanilla levels.

In the classic Sonic games, holding down on the D-pad as you hit the ground made you immediately go into a spin. It would be convenient if holding the Spin button as you hit the ground in SRB2 did the same thing, especially since 2.2 will make spinning more useful by introducing slopes to the vanilla levels.
As cool as that sounds, I think it could conflict with other character wads that make you hold the spin button for an action

As cool as that sounds, I think it could conflict with other character wads that make you hold the spin button for an action

Not really, the action only needs to take place on the ground, whether you're jumping or not.

Last I heard about this feature it was being discussed about being implemented. I think the decision may have been passed and has been implemented into 2.2 already. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The conflict would only come up for characters that use the Spin button for custom actions and are capable of spinning on the ground, which means characters like Silver and Eggman would be fine. Of the characters that meet those criteria, most only ever require you to press Spin in mid-air, not hold it (e.g. Jasper), so I don't think it'd be that big of a deal. At worst, a couple of custom characters would have to move an action from Spin to Custom 1 or something.

If you roll off a cliff, holding Spin will let you keep rolling when you land. While this does not apply to simply jumping or falling while running (nor jumping while rolling, I think), what you're suggesting is already partially in SRB2, just in case you didn't know.

If you roll off a cliff, holding Spin will let you keep rolling when you land. While this does not apply to simply jumping or falling while running (nor jumping while rolling, I think), what you're suggesting is already partially in SRB2, just in case you didn't know.

I knew. 10characters

I'm sure i'm not the first one to think about this, there's even a mod that added this, It would be nice if characters gained speed by running down slopes, similar to most Sonic games, not just by spinning.

Hey not to self-advertise or anything but both of these things exist in my Classic.wad modification found in the Lua section of the forums, though it would be cool to see both of these implemented into vanilla, especially with all those downhill slopes I keep seeing in screenshots of both 2.2 and other unreleased things.

Last edited:
I'm kind of against both of these suggestions. Allowing speed gains when running down slopes means that there has to be a dynamic running speed cap, which would as a side effect also allow Sonic to keep his 60 FRACUNIT thokspeed when on the ground. That honestly sounds really fun but it would also completely change the way we play SRB2—which I guess with 2.2 changing most of the game's design anyway, is not a huge deal, except that we already have spinning as an effective and sensical method of doing the same thing, not to mention it might alienate veteran players and make Sonic even more overpowered (because some people seem to get butthurt over that). The hold-spin-to-land-in-roll mechanic seems less intrusive to me, but when playing classic.wad there have been a lot of moments where I accidentally performed the move when I didn't want to. That might just be me not being used to the mechanic, though I definitely felt extremely frustrated whenever it happened—not to mention that it happened more than I found deliberately performing the move to be useful (once again however, 2.2's new slopes may possibly flip that ratio, as has been mentioned). It also inadvertently buffs Sonic because he can roll on the ground at the speed of his thok much more easily after landing (you can perform this in the current game but it requires some precise timing). More than anything I just don't really see why having to press the button after you land instead of being able to hold it down beforehand makes such a big difference; the only case where I can see it being more useful is to protect against enemies when landing. That's my two cents on those things, I guess.

Y'all are forgetting the Whirlwind Shield, if you try holding spin in the air with that one then you're not going to be spinning much.

Yeah that happens but it's not like you're rising infinitely. In fact you're able to better position yourself, and get more height and therefore more speed if rolling down a half/quarter pipe with the lack of the spinning flag and the extra air time.

The MIDI files are very, very old and are in need of some updating. Take, for example, Techno Hill Act 1. The MIDI version is at a differing pitch than the OGG version. Also, I believe the credits theme is completely different between the OGG and MIDI versions.

I always thought the Metropolis credits theme was fine, not sure why they replaced it with a questionably-trimmed tune.

Maybe it was to do the same thing the classic trilogy did where the credits song include a fuller version of the title screen theme.

Though I agree the way they did it doesn't really sound very good.

I like the new one for the fact it's actually where SRB2's theme tune came from in the first place. Could have been done better yes, but ...it's SRB2's theme tune!

But yeah, we never plonked in a new MIDI for it, probably because we forgot. Pity I don't currently make MIDIs anymore. =P

I like the new one for the fact it's actually where SRB2's theme tune came from in the first place. Could have been done better yes, but ...it's SRB2's theme tune!

But yeah, we never plonked in a new MIDI for it, probably because we forgot. Pity I don't currently make MIDIs anymore. =P
I feel like Nimbus Ruins sounds awesome in both MIDI and OGG
though, a MIDI update could be in order, maybe?

The game seems to save the game everytime the player reaches a map whose act in the level header is either 1 or has no act number.
I'd like to suggest a level header option that would allow the mapper to control when may the game autosave.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back