SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm... I put more effort into this now.
First I had all the stones you can see here drawn in a different coulor but it turned out ugly, so that I returned to an orange theme that differs in light levels a little bit. To show what it would look like I chose a surface that has the doubled size of the actual image. I think to make it really good-looking I have to switch to a bigger size with more different stones so that it looks less repetitive.

orstodemgy7.png

But I don't want go on working without checking if I am aiming in the right direction. ;)

I think that might look good as a floor texture. But it would be a better idea to wait so you can see what everyone else thinks of it, as I'm not very good at explaining my opinion.

This was done long ago...

well it's the only good texture that came out of it (because I found the right colour-tones after various recolours) MS Paint Job for sure

unfortunately haven't got the file anymore
anyone who has the version 2.2 can submit it for me (but please not the crappy ones prior 2.2)

today I could do even more awesome things (though I even got better hardware now)

but the problem is

I am on a linux machine right here and only have Gimp

sure I could do amazing pieces of graphics with effects in it but it wouldn't fit Srb2's style nor pallete

Hrrmm... I might still have that on my old hard drive. I added that along with a few recolors (including a halfway decent CEZ themed one IIRC) and tons of terrible ripped photo images to make a mod a long time ago.

I liked the idea, but its a little too bright and the shades aren't quite thick enough in my opinion.

And for GIMP, use the picture SSN provided on the first post, then go under some palette options and select import from image (its there, but hard to find). Then open the palette dialog and use that as you would the bar from paint. Though it still boils down to pixel art when all is said and done the palette is handy to have.

As for style, I went for a sort of pseudo-geometric I had picked up from an old texturing tutorial from last year's SAGE. My main wall texture was big, blocky, and unrealistic but that is what I felt would be best fit into SRB2. As for the ground I made an overall design for cracked sand and then made it look as much like GFZ grass as possible. A little bit of mimicry can go a long way.

Hope this helps...

@Morph, I like that, I'd give a little wider variation in darkness when you enlarge it and make the borders a dark color from that spectrum.

Notice how lovely SSN's sky is. Now I'm no texture expert, but dont the textures have to fit in with the sky.

Some of the textures here are awesome, some of them not so good. Surely, If the sky is good, the textures have to be good too.

@Monster: Your texture on page 10 made me choke on thin air :)

nitro_the_hedghog said:
My uber-awesome texture.

Holy shit, I just can't beat that. You really managed to make something awesome in 70x70 pixels.

I said:
Hey SSNTails, could you suggest any other sorts of textures for Arid Canyon that we haven't tried yet? I'm getting bored with nothing going on here.

EDIT:
I said:
Does the texture set that we send to you have to be in a wad?

Also, this question of mine never got answered.

*Coughs* Ahem!!

And for Nitro: Yes!!! That Texture is really good! XD

I get what you mean, Kitsune. It's just I couldn't help thinking that since there will be mine carts in Arid Canyon Zone, I thought they would go in a mine, and that made me create the Textures for the Mine entrance.

And about Mine Maze Zone, that's one of the scrapped zones along with Rocky Mountain, in case you didn't know...

Monster Iestyn said:
that's one of the scrapped zones along with Rocky Mountain, in case you didn't know...
Hate.
I really need to catch up on SRB2...I didn't know about MMZ and RMZ being scrapped! I also didn't know about Arid Canyon having mine carts.

I just wonder if this new rock texture of mine will be better than the previous one... Or will it be a texture for 'inside' places only?...

ACZWAL04.png

...and if I used it in this test level of mine...
srb20043.png

...Is it better?

Also, for those who think it is that first version of my rock texture I posted ages ago, this is brighter than it.

Monster Iestyn said:
I just wonder if this new rock texture of mine will be better than the previous one... Or will it be a texture for 'inside' places only?...

Image here

...and if I used it in this test level of mine...

Image here

...Is it better?

Also, for those who think it is that first version of my rock texture I posted ages ago, this is brighter than it.

I prefer the one from here to be honest... That one looks too, well, red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back