Custom Exits ignore ForceCharacter's variable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, yeah. Basically I'm trying to make... something, where one can choose a "pack" in the "start new game" screen.

Then it goes to a small "loading" map (MapK0) with a Custom Exit (to skip the results screen) (linedef type 2, not climbable checked), pointing at Map01 as a test.
In MainCfg, I've given Map01 "ForceCharacter = knuckles", and Map02 "ForceCharacter = tails", again just as a test.

If I choose Sonic or Sonic & Tails, then the loading map goes to Map03, as expected. If I choose Knuckles, I'd say it should go to Map01. If I choose Tails, I'd say it should go to Map02. But no. Both of them also go to Map03, which isn't what I'd want to happen.

If this won't directly be "fixed", can one of the linedef effects be changed to check for ForceCharacter, rather than just skipping the character-specific maps no matter what?
I really want it to be possible to save progress and such, so I will not be adding the second "pack" to the secrets/extras menu, but I also want both/all packs in the same Wad file.

Edit: Also, I'm using version 2.1.8 of the vanilla Sonic Robo Blast 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you've got ForceCharacter all wrong - it doesn't make characters skip a level or whatever you think the custom exit thing even does with them - it forces the player to use a certain skin on entering the map! Are you using the No Sonic/Tails/Knux linedef flags at all here? Those might be the things you need to use instead.

...sorry if I've misunderstood you here, your wording slightly confuses me; maybe you could provide an example wad to see what's going on?

Last edited:
Well, then explain to me why it is when I tried putting "ForceCharacter = knuckles" into a MainCfg for Map02 once, and upon playing as Knuckles and beating Green Flower Zone Act 1, it went to Act 2 before Act 3, but Sonic and Tails would skip Act 2 upon beating Act 1.

The "switching skin" thing to me only seems to work in multiplayer, or if the first map being played (SRB1 remake as an example) already forces a specific skin.

Anyway, example Wad thing, the same Wad as I "described" this "bug" with: [LINK]
Please don't take the Wad seriously, it's nowhere near done yet.

Either way, is there then no "official" way to have more than one "pack" of levels, but still with save data, in the same Wad?

Last edited:
The best way to do that would be to set up a Lua linedef executor hook that you execute on map load, adjusting the floor of the Custom Exit linedef's front sector based on the player's skin, then moving the player into the exit sector.

The best way to do that would be to set up a Lua linedef executor hook that you execute on map load, adjusting the floor of the Custom Exit linedef's front sector based on the player's skin, then moving the player into the exit sector.
So even stuff like that is possible with Lua? *Checks Wiki about that linedef type (444)* Seems simple enough to execute the Lua script...
But I have no idea how to manipulate sector heights or such via Lua (almost everything I know about Lua has been from trial and error with player abilities).
Any advice on that?

Last edited:
The best way to do that would be to set up a Lua
no

Use the No Sonic, No Tails and No Knuckles flags to selectively disable linedefs when playing as that specific character. You can achieve the effect you're trying to get by having three custom exits, one with the No Tails and No Knuckles flags, which will then trigger only for Sonic, etc.

The only shortcomings of this is that the single player campaign always starts on the same map, regardless of character, and that the "No" flags don't work in netplay.

With a bit more legwork, you can also use linedef executors and the "Disable Linedef Effect" special with the flags in order to make more complex behaviors, like making so you only go to a particular map IF you're playing as Sonic AND you're playing offline AND you got all the chaos emeralds AND you didn't quit the game once since you've started playing.

Also as a note, combining all three "No" flags actually now has the effect of making a linedef's effect explicitly Netplay-only. (i.e even custom characters can't side-dodge the effects in SP mode)

Use the No Sonic, No Tails and No Knuckles flags to selectively disable linedefs when playing as that specific character.
He explicitly said (in another topic, though) that wouldn't work for him because he has extra characters that share abilities. Unless something new's popped up since I last checked, the only way to check the exact skin of a character is through Lua.

Use the No Sonic, No Tails and No Knuckles flags to selectively disable linedefs when playing as that specific character.
The thing I'm making will feature (copies of) Knuckles as a playable character for all "map packs". Well, more specifically, it will feature characters with gliding/climbing abilities. That is thus not a valid option.

Edit: RedEnchilada ninja'd me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back