Making levels is rather painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
6tgbmOV.png

I'll get the hang of this, one way or another. Anyway, I know now not to meld the thok barrier into a wall in front of anything like this. This isn't anything anyone would consider "visually pleasing".

There isn't any option here (that I see) to modify thing height and it doesn't look like Google wants to help. Am I meant to use the script editor to adjust thing height?

Jeez, I know it's running off a Doom engine, but rendering the sky in front of a sector?

Clearly something is wrong, though I cannot specifiy what, I can advise you this:

Rendering a sky requires a thok barrier. Looks like you got one, check. Now, to make a simple wall, make a sector within the barrier. Then edit that wall's floor height. It doesn't necessairly have to be a thok barrier itself, merely a sector with a higher height than the sector next to it.

6tgbmOV.png

I'll get the hang of this, one way or another. Anyway, I know now not to meld the thok barrier into a wall in front of anything like this. This isn't anything anyone would consider "visually pleasing".

There isn't any option here (that I see) to modify thing height and it doesn't look like Google wants to help. Am I meant to use the script editor to adjust thing height?

Jeez, I know it's running off a Doom engine, but rendering the sky in front of a sector?

From the looks of that wall it seems you made an error making the Thok Barrier. Remember, when creating sectors, do so in a clockwise manner, you get errors if you vary the way you make them.

Concerning that wall there, make sure there is enough space between the first sector, and the outside sector in the Thok Barrier. I suggest keeping the space in the Thok Barrier 32 fracunits apart as it is fairly easy to work with.

If you need any help feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help you with whatever you're trying to build.

From the looks of that wall it seems you made an error making the Thok Barrier. Remember, when creating sectors, do so in a clockwise manner, you get errors if you vary the way you make them.

Concerning that wall there, make sure there is enough space between the first sector, and the outside sector in the Thok Barrier. I suggest keeping the space in the Thok Barrier 32 fracunits apart as it is fairly easy to work with.

If you need any help feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help you with whatever you're trying to build.

From my experience, direction for the thok barrier has no effect on it's properties, nor does the distance between a sector and a thok barrier.

You could have a normal sector touch a thok barrier and still have both properly functioning.

I had that part figured out, but thanks anyway.

9wPB3Vk.png

This looks Miles better. Hahahahaha.

I'm actually running into a few texture problems, but I'm getting the hang of some of it.

If there's no option to modify thing height, you can do it yourself by altering the thing flags. Multiply the desired height (off of the ground) by 16 or 0x10, depending on whether your editor uses decimal or hexidecimal to represent flags, and add it to the current value. It's a tad clunky, but it's better than nothing. (Alternatively, you can make a smaller sector under the thing with the desired floor height and tag it to an Instantly Lower Floor on Level Load [LD50] linedef. This shouldn't be necessary in most cases, though.)

It's necessary for performance's sake. :T

I've heard the the term 'thing flags' used plenty of times and yet I've found nothing on the wiki regarding it. I'm not sure if it's just poor searching on my part or lack of information regarding the topic though.

I would post another picture of what I have so far, but Doom Builder doesn't want to read the .wad file anymore. Not that it was anything spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back