• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

I need DOOM2.WAD- GIVE ME A LINK TO IT! HELP ME!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lostgame

I really want to make my own levels and stuff, but I NEED DOOM2.WAD! I can't buy it, and I'm not going to, because I really dislike violent games. Please give me a link DIRECTLY TO the file!

Sonic RULES! Visit my web site @ http://sonicboom.cjb.net

I had Doom2 in one of my cds, but I lost it, so last time I played Doomsday (which needs doom2.wad) I searched it on the web. I found it after less than 5 minutes... So try it...

May I remind you: it's against the rules to ask for stuff of this sort.

See, doom2.wad for free counts as Warez, a term used for paid software that's downloaded. doom2.wad counts as Warez because it basically contains all of the levels and sprites required for Doom2. Therefore, you're in trouble :P

Digiku said:
See, doom2.wad for free counts as Warez, a term used for paid software that's downloaded.

Let me be a nitpicker as usual: Commercial software you can download legally is not unheard of, and commercial software distributed illegally on homemade CDs can count as warez. Thus, it's more like "any software of which you receive a copy illegally." Furthermore, it's debatable where the Doom 2 IWAD alone counts as software. It contains no code, only data, and might just fall under the realm of plain ol' copyright infringement.

To the OP: If you don't want to buy Doom 2 or do anything illegal, you can consider using the FreeDOOM IWAD. It has one little quirk: WadAuthor displays some flats 2-3 times in the listing when you use it. Other than that, it works fine. Be sure to get the release and not the "Latest" wad.

And if you don't want to do that, I'll be happy to send it to you on IRC. Send me a PM and we'll discuss it. Howver, isn't it against the rules to talk about that kind of stuff for awhile on this page? Last time I remembered, it is. then again, I can't even remember this morning's breakfast, so....

Heh, I guess you didn't remember the two posts right above yours, because they both mentioned that too.

Doom II isn't on the market anymore, as far as I know, so it may be legal.
I'm not an avid shopper, so I wouldn't know.

*Looks up* uh oh *crushed by capitals in topic sentence.*

Nope, still illegal. Copyrights last a long time. Too long. Way too long. Most of us will be dead by the time Doom's copyright expires.

that's completley true. And you can still find Doom II in used game stores (FuncoLand, Gamestop, X Planet) for like $5.00. Isn't that better than getting in major trouble for downloading it illegally? I think it is.

Heh, you're not going to get in "major trouble" exactly. Have you never ever downloaded a copyrighted file illegally? Most everyone I know has.

Doom II isn't on the market anymore, as far as I know, so it may be legal.
I'm not an avid shopper, so I wouldn't know.

Nope. Recently (say, 9 months ago) iD software re-released Doom as "DOOM: THE COLLECTORS EDITION". Came with... everything Doom. Doom 1, 2, Plutonia, etc. So it's not even abandonware.

Actually, Nintendo's copyrights are gone for the original NES, so I thought Doom would be the same, since it's almost that old

Megasonic101/SRB2 said:
Still, though. Many of the download links have tracers/spyware attactched to them, and can get you in LOADS of trouble.
Repeat after me: Wad files are data. Data is not code. Thus, there's no problem, unless maybe the wad was in a self-extracting archive.

(Edit: Oops, SRB2's new map headers that support scripts kind of change this. But I'm working on a way to fix that, so you can either turn off scripts or only allow them to run "safe" commands.)

If I recall correctly, copyrights on "works for hire" last 75 years and copyrights owned by individuals last until 75 years after they die. Is that ridiculous or what? The whole point of copyrights was to limit what people can do just a little bit, so that more creative work gets created. Now do you think id Software wouldn't have made Doom if they knew it would ALREADY be public domain in, say, 2030?

I thought they lasted ONLY lasted 75

Those big nasty men with the mouse (read: Disney) keep lobbying to get the copyright renewal date extended another 25 years, because they don't want their precious cashcows to become public domain. (They're intensely protective over Mickey. You can't even put him on a website without Disney's legal department shouting obsceneties at you in an email)

Yes. Lately there's been a perversion of the intent of copyright law. Policies are being made under the assumption that creators have some sort of natural right to control the stuff they make, and it just isn't true. In fact the US Constitution rejects that idea, instead giving Congress the power to establish copyrights for limited times for the sole purpose of benefitting the public. If you remember the original intent of copyright, the copyright laws that have been getting passed lately (DMCA, CTEA, etc.) all look totally absurd.

Nintendo's copyright isn't EXPIRED, but it's still gone, they could care less about the _ _ _ _lators and _ _ms being shown freely. If it's not sold, they don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back