Official Level Design Contest: July/August 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlueZero4 said:
Who I was then is is not who I am now.

I just think your levels are starting to get too easy, like what I did with EMZ. I hope FFZ2 is gonna be a bit harder. Perhaps only a tad harder than NSZ2? Eh, it's your decision, though.

Um, why is easy bad? I know you can say that it's cliche for levels to get harder as the game progresses, but I don't think difficulty is always a good thing.

To me, difficulty is a technique to help levels stop being too stale. While one doesn't have to make a stage as hard as Magma Core Zone, you should probably put some degree of difficulty in FFZ2, even if it's a small one. I imagine that FFZ2 will be somewhat long, am I correct?

I'm shooting for somewhere around NSZ1 length, in terms of short, medium, and long routes.

Also, I'm not throwing difficulty in unnecessarily. If an area just happens to be "difficult," that's just how it happened.

Can't believe I forgot about Medivo NiGHTS Circuit. Actually, I wish you would do Medivo Act 1 for SP this time, rather than a 2D Glaber Syndrome stage. 2D mode simply does not work properly like in the other Sonic games. Palmtree Panic Zone is considered by some the best 2D zone to ever grace the SRB2MB. But here's what I have to say:

Palmtree Panic Zone, 7/10
It's surprising how it actually is not dull. The detail of this stage looked far better than the Sonic CD zone from which it is based, and the stage flowed nicely, but it's way too easy, resulting in pretty much no challenge whatsoever. And of course, with SRB2's 2D mode, there's no way to make the stage harder without having it be less enjoyable. You still have no idea what's going to come in front of you, and the stage ends also rather abruptly. You'd be better off trying to create your own 2D mode, Boinciel.

So Glaber, seven is pretty much the limit for a 2D mode stage as far as how good it can be (at least to me); plus, porting stages is a bad idea. Therefore, you're better off making a 3D stage.

Medivo Act one is nowhere near ready for this contest, and as for GS Scrap Brain act 3, well lets just say Porting stages is how I sometimes experiment with a new way to make levels. Like for example my first SRB2 map? Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie (Also covered first match mode map and the seed for Glaber syndrome), First Nights Circuit: Endless Mine from sonic 3. First 2D SRB2 stage GS Scrap Brain from Sonic 1 GG/SMS, First Unreal Tournament map: Medivo Match mode (SRB2 OLDS) rebuilt by using SRB2Doom Builder for the refferance, although the Lava falls were lost in the rebuild.

SonicMaster, why are you posting your thoughts about Boinciel's level in the contest thread? You don't need to rant about that stuff here, unless someone asks you, of course.

Also, blech, ratings.

honestly, I think 2D is actually really good, the only real problem I see is the fact that Thok is too fast for it.

Seeing infront of you is not the point of 2D!

BlueZero4 said:
SonicMaster, why are you posting your thoughts about Boinciel's level in the contest thread? You don't need to rant about that stuff here, unless someone asks you, of course.

Also, blech, ratings.

I'm trying to show Glaber that 2D mode in its current state doesn't have much potential. That IS the best 2D mode level to grace the SRB2MB, and if that's the best 2D mode can do, then 2D mode should be ignored. That's why.

glaber said:
So the Princess and you are my competition this contest?

Perhaps it's actually GemEarthBrandon, after seeing that apparently he evaded a ban four times, lol.

Anyway, I do hope you go and use the Resize tool on what I saw of Tubelectric CTF and set that number to 200%. I tried it, and the size of the level came out a LOT better.

And are we only going to have 3 CTF entries? D: The only ones I've seen mentioned so far are:

Tubelectric Zone by Glaber
Stoney Mountain Zone by 123 Runite
Cylindrical Mine Zone by SonicMaster

EDIT: I decided to replace 39 Divided By 0 with another Match level I made, Moon Milkshake Zone.

First peek at Scrap Brain.
srb20622.png

Medivo NiGHTS
srb20626.png
(old pic)
srb20627.png
The cave back there leads to Glaber Gluch Mine and Village

Tubelectric CTF
srb20635.png

srb20634.png

srb20637.png

srb20621.png

Care to guess what N4 with the rings in an x pattern over it means?

Indeed I have. I took a look at the with of the field of Medivo CTF and made the nessary adjustments to This map.

Looks like my level won't be making it in this time. I've been pretty busy now that school's started (for me at least). Looks like I'll have to finish later and wait for the next contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back