SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 09-21-2014   #141
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

@D00D64: Some platformers like Super Mario World and SMB3 have a camera system which constantly judges whether it should vertically follow the player while Mario is in the air. The way the camera works is that it does NOT follow Mario vertically if he is just jumping up and down. The camera will only start to follow Mario's y position when he:
* is climbing a vine
* starts falling below the camera's "normal" position
* does a sprint jump
* goes above the screen

I believe this camera "y-snapping" variable also resets whenever Mario is on the ground. That means the camera won't follow Mario while he is jumping up to another on-screen platform, but it will scroll up to Mario once he's landed on it.

I coded this camera system into my GM8/GM:S platformer because I think it's a terrific system; even though mine isn't a jump-on-heads platformer like Mario's games, from the looks of it you're just trying to make basic platforming less frustrating, so I think you could benefit from trying to code these dynamics into your camera.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #142
D00D64
A "rather brash" indivisual

Yeah, I wanted something like that, but I wasn't sure how to do that second part, which is what I really want. I thought of this as a kind of compromise, but I'd rather do that. I'll probably figure it out eventually. It's especially important in a game like this.
Quote:
<SpiritCrusher> But I wouldn't say "dead Jew child" is incorrect
<SpiritCrusher> Nobody would doubt that it's a dead Jew child
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #143
frozenLake

By the way D00D, does that menu of yours work while ingame?
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #144
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00D64 View Post
Yeah, I wanted something like that, but I wasn't sure how to do that second part, which is what I really want. I thought of this as a kind of compromise, but I'd rather do that. I'll probably figure it out eventually. It's especially important in a game like this.
I don't know if you've done this already (or if you even can), but in my game, I tell the 'camera' to follow an invisible object, rather than the player itself. The object will move itself to be at or near the player based on certain conditions (eg: is player on the ground? y = player.y ... or: is player running? x = player.x + 64 ... etc.).

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote