Sonic 4: Episode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first act of Sky Fortress is an amazing extension of Sky Chase. I wasn't planning on getting this originally, but I may pick it up once it's on sale or something.

That said, it's a shame that Act 2 of White Park is like, the most banal act ever. And this is particularly bad because it's the only level in all of Sonic 4 that fits the aerial highway archetype, at least in terms of the bare minimum level design we see in the videos. Honestly, these types of levels can be fantastic if done right (Starlight and Launch Base stick out in my mind), but there were hardly any cool gimmicks to play with here... And that doesn't seem to be a problem with any other level![/WHINE]

Not trying to spoil myself too much, but my views on it so far:

Looking at the presentation of this game so far, I think this episode is much more promising and it looks quite fun. The Physics are a big step up from Episode 1's and the visuals are not so much of an eyesore to look at, like Splash Hill Act 1's Light/Saturation Issues. Loving the looks of Oil Desert though.

My only 1 very small issue I have so far is 1 particular tag team move; the 69 spin dash. It looks that powerful to the point that it could be quite game breaking, though I'm aware that the tag team moves are a major part of Episode 2's game play.

Also it would be nice if Tails could take the lead. It's great he's getting a major playable (sort of) role again, but it'd be nice to completely take command of him? Maybe a patch in the future could be done if they get enough requests.

Also it would be nice if Tails could take the lead. It's great he's getting a major playable (sort of) role again, but it'd be nice to completely take command of him? Maybe a patch in the future could be done if they get enough requests.
You can sort of make Tails lead if you plug in a second controller and make Sonic go into his "AFK" ghost mode.

Yeah, just why did NOBODY on the dev team say "y'know, maybe we should have some kind of cooldown or something for the Spinner 69er."?

Not to mention being able to just tag action and fly out of any pit or misstep with no penalty or anything.

The way I see it, the most overpowered thing about the spinning attack is that you can jump without canceling it and retain it when you touch the ground. This, of course, means that you can spend large chunks of the level in spinning mode and thereby ignore a large portion of the hazards.

Inb4 Dimps announces delay due to negative feedback on leaked build.

(Though it's less likely to happen. since this comes out in less than a month.)

Alright, here's my almost meaningless pre-review. (I just know opinions will be taken as if I want to force them on you, I just know it.)

THE -broken- GAMEPLAY:

First off, the physics look like the only thing changed was that if you jump and let go of the d-pad, you don't drop like a rock. EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME AS EPISODE ONE. You still have your speed capped as you go "Up and Down and All Around" with the slopes. When a ball rolls up a ramp, it's natural for it to roll back down, no matter how horizontal the ramp may seem. Same for rolling down ramps. The classics almost nailed this, but the Sonic 4 Saga got it all wrong.
Oh, and don't act like uncurling is a physics problem, it's not! It's simply changing from one state to the other. You SOCers out there should know what I mean by "states."
But don't get me wrong, removing uncurling and "drop-jumping" is an improvement, definitely. It just makes me disgusted that they didn't even mess with anything else.

THE COOPERATIVE ATTACKS THAT ARE NOT SEXUAL AT ALL:

What's that? They brought back flying with Tails? Cool! What's that? They brought back swimming with Tails? Cool!
What's that? They have a new move where Sonic and Tails can take their relationship to the next level? Umm... Okay, I guess?
In all seriousness though, the "69-attack" can make all the obstacles in the level beg for mercy. INCLUDING SPIKES. FREAKING SPIKES, MAN.
It's far worse than the boost. At-least during boost, you can still get hit by spiked obstacles and lose the energy needed for it eventually.
You can't do that here. The only way to stop rampaging in a comical sex position is to press the combo button or bump into a wall a few times.
It makes me wonder why Dimps didn't just scrap the 69-attack from the beginning. Oh, right, their Dimps.
Even the flying ability is over-powered, rescuing you from any pit that is covered up by red caution signs (more on that later) and thus ruining the entire point of a bottomless pit.
"Remember in the Genesis days when you were underwater and the drowning music started playing and you got scared? Well, the new swim ability allows you to quickly help Sonic get out of the water!"
Thanks for babying us, Ken. I was REALLY NOT looking forward to getting scared by that drowning music, and actually having to find a clever way to get out of the water via platforms! Now I can get out of the FRIGHTENING water with the press of a button! Yay! This doesn't ruin underwater challenges at all!
Whatever...

Last edited:
Hoo boy, pointless ranting ahead!

I think it would've been much better if the 69-er Spin Dash would've been relegated to an item-box power, much like that move where Sonic and Tails bounce about and kill everything on screen. That way, you could still include the bits in Sylvania Castle and White Park and even later boss battles where it was required, without making other areas too easy. And in other acts, it could act as an enhanced speed-up item, which would be great if its duration were decreased and you weren't totally invincible while using it.

And the ability for Tails to carry Sonic through the air should have been toned down as well, at least decreasing its duration. If the level design were to include large gaps, then maybe the player should have to utilize air currents / items to replenish Tails's stamina.

I've watched a bit of this to spoil myself, and the problem I have with the game is the music. The gameplay looks cool, but none of the songs stuck out to me as "interesting" at all. It all felt repetitive junk that got old 30 seconds in. I might get this, but I feel like I'd only play this with the music off.

I've watched a bit of this to spoil myself, and the problem I have with the game is the music. The gameplay looks cool, but none of the songs stuck out to me as "interesting" at all. It all felt repetitive junk that got old 30 seconds in. I might get this, but I feel like I'd only play this with the music off.

After playing through the leaked copy of the game, this is how I feel primarily.

The levels were well designed for the most part - there wasn't a whole lot of spring fever but there were some springs that did absolutely nothing. The bosses were alright, some of them(like White Park's boss) had just outright unfair instakill moves that could only be avoided by trial and error, or being really lucky the first time. The physics felt a lot more solid, some of the shortcuts even force you to gain momentum. The special stages were absolute hell. They give no explanation for what's going on so the first time you run into something, you have no idea of what is going on and therefore you can't get the emerald the first time.

What kills the game for me is the lack of creativity - most of the levels have generic background design that makes you think that this was a fan game.The music wasn't a complete pile of shit like it was in EP1, but the music still feels like it's going for the short goal. Everything felt rushed, to put it at its best position.

What kills the game for me is the lack of creativity - most of the levels have generic background design that makes you think that this was a fan game.
Sonic-4-Episode-2-Screenshots-9.jpg

600x-1

Sonic-4-Episode-2-Official-Screenshots-04-711x400.jpg

I've never seen a fan game with this much detail.

The special stages were absolute hell. They give no explanation for what's going on so the first time you run into something, you have no idea of what is going on and therefore you can't get the emerald the first time.

Wasn't that... in EVERY Sonic game? I mean, when did you go into a special stage for the first time and be "I got this emerald easy" without pre knowledge? None of the classic games even made a slight attempt at even explaining what was going on. You just had the vague idea you were suppose to "get rings" or do something. Lots of classic games were trial and error at times as well. Go play Sonic 2 again and try getting the last chaos emerald. That thing is a pain.

You just had the vague idea you were suppose to "get rings" or do something.
Yup, I just looked at it now and it actually tells you to collect rings while running to the goal.

Don't touch bombs and don't touch stuff that is spouting tons of electricity. Not that hard.

Yup, I just looked at it now and it actually tells you to collect rings while running to the goal.

Don't touch bombs and don't touch stuff that is spouting tons of electricity. Not that hard.

I'm moreso talking about the conjoin powerup that changes how Tails moves(With it, he moves like in Sonic 2 but without he follows directly behind you). Changes the mechanics of a game like that instantly isn't necessarily good design at all. Nor does it explain anywhere what is actually happening when you pick it up.

tailsmastermind said:
None of the classic games even made a slight attempt at even explaining what was going on. You just had the vague idea you were suppose to "get rings" or do something

And yet...

I guess you could say my background design views are subjective, but personally all I see with the designs are dull remakes of Sonic 2 and 3 zones.

EDIT: Let me clarify why I'm pointing these things out. Sonic 4 doesn't try to take 1 side, it takes a middle side, which doesn't work for it at all. The two sides of course are retro game design and current game design. It doesn't follow it's predecessors's design by having different physics and gameplay mechanics, and also by warning the player of pits. On the other hand, there's things in the game that are not fair with what we've become accustomed to with "modern" design, which is trial by error. Therefore, I can't appreciate Sonic 4 as a true sequel because it doesn't play like the originals at all, and then it tries to act like it's placed in the classic times, which doesn't work out well at all.

Also, the music sounds like ass and I honestly have 0 respect for anyone at SEGA who thinks the music is acceptable(regardless if it sounds less ass in Episode 2).

Last edited:
I like the music in Episodes 1 AND 2. :(
It's a lonely and disheartening world. :<

The music in Episode 1 grew on me, and I hope Episode 2 does the same thing. Though from what I've heard, the music doesn't seem as pronounced or obvious as it has been in the previous games, more like a little background tune from the radio. The game still looks pretty cool to me so far.

Yeah, the tunes aren't as good in Episode 2 but the instrumentation is way, way better. Either way there's a few songs I like in Episode 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back